The Student Room Group

Really struggling with reference :(

So im a full time mum applying for university in 2016 and i can't find a reference! I left college in 2009 with great a levels and have since then not been in education or employment. I think I have a strong personal statement but am I going to be at a hindrance with a weak reference? My college have said that are unable to do a detailed reference due to everything being destroyed after 6 years but they can confirm dates and results.. is this better than nothing?
Reply 1
Original post by Abileatham
So im a full time mum applying for university in 2016 and i can't find a reference! I left college in 2009 with great a levels and have since then not been in education or employment. I think I have a strong personal statement but am I going to be at a hindrance with a weak reference? My college have said that are unable to do a detailed reference due to everything being destroyed after 6 years but they can confirm dates and results.. is this better than nothing?

I would contact each of your chosen unis directly - you should find Admissions Offices email/phone contact details online. You won't be the only mature student in this situation and they should be able to advise.

Be prepared that unis these days usually want proof of recent learning from mature students who've been out of education for a while. The entry requirements in their prospectus won't necessarily apply to mature entrants. Some will want you to do a one year Access to HE course before applying to uni. On the up-side, these courses do prepare you well for uni and will give you the necessary academic reference from staff there.
Reply 2
I know this might be hard to see but it's good that they can confirm your results and the dates you got them. Don't worry about the reference for now. Having your results confirmed is a step in the right direction.
What about doing some relevant volunteer work then getting them to do your reference? It would still show things like character, working well with others and your determination. I assume most universities have their own way of dealing with this though so better to ask them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Abileatham

Tricky situation. As Klix88 said most universities want evidence of recent academic study. It may be the case they might not consider you irrespective of the reference situation. I actually think this is the bigger issue not the reference. If universities say they want you to do an access course or something then you would obviously kill two birds with one stone.

A lot depends on your course too. If it is just a generic degree then they may be more forgiving of a 'basic' reference but if you are looking to go into anything people related (e.g. nursing, teaching) then you need a proper reference which means some sort of work experience. Difficult to arrange around child I know but...

Quick Reply