The Student Room Group

Shopping at Aldi, Im scared

Ok so Ive never stepped foot in an Aldi before and after seeing an advert on TSR for it (and realising that my status as a poor student isn't going to get better any time soon) I'm thinking I might give it a go.

I'm kinda scared though, what is Aldi like? I don't really fancy buying crap food

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tootles44
Ok so Ive never stepped foot in an Aldi before and after seeing an advert on TSR for it (and realising that my status as a poor student isn't going to get better any time soon) I'm thinking I might give it a go.

I'm kinda scared though, what is Aldi like? I don't really fancy buying crap food

Aldi is fine, it's got a very good reputation in Germany.
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
Aldi is fine, it's got a very good reputation in Germany.

Second this :yy:

If you can get over not knowing the brand names, it's ****ing great stuff.
Reply 3
Scared? ****ing hell.
The people who work at the Aldi near me fling your food through the tills soooo fast. If you have a trolley load you need to put it at the other end to catch it in.
Reply 5
You'll often find the quality at Aldi surpasses that of Tesco/Sainsburys et al.

Sure you may not be able to get EVERYTHING you need, but don't let the name fool you into thinking it's all crap.
The only scary part is the till, they dont give you time to pack your bags so you just put them back in the trolly and pack by the window. Its crazy fast!! Otherwise the food is great, cereal is nicer than branded, meat is good and they sell random useful things like skiing gear, yoga mats etc so look out for a bargain
(edited 8 years ago)
I like Aldi better than other supermarkets, you can get so much more for your money. Some of the cereals are a bit hit and miss, but other than that, its absolutely fine.
Original post by A5ko
You'll often find the quality at Aldi surpasses that of Tesco/Sainsburys et al.

Sure you may not be able to get EVERYTHING you need, but don't let the name fool you into thinking it's all crap.

This. Specially Selected as good as anything bar MandS for me. And even betters that on occasions. Good special buys too. The prices are cheap because the store isn't posh and they rush you through the till, not that you can't get good stuff.
It is amazing
Only downside is no bags:frown:
Bring your own or pay more money for bags
I would have to be onto my last pennies before I ever shop in Aldi.
Original post by TwinnyP
Second this :yy:

If you can get over not knowing the brand names, it's ****ing great stuff.

I'm such a brand whore that the thought of shopping somewhere that I don't know the brands of actually frightens me.
Original post by Technetium
I'm such a brand whore that the thought of shopping somewhere that I don't know the brands of actually frightens me.

Honestly I am the same, or atleast I was :lol:

Loads of ALDI's cooked meats, like sliced ham, whole chicken, sausages etc is better than most of ASDA, Sainsbury and tescos, for a cheaper price.

Just get stuff like milk and bread from ALDI if it scares you that much!
Reply 13
State of some of you
Original post by littlenorthernlass

It's the German equivalent of our major supermarkets? Whats the problem :lol:
Original post by TwinnyP

Just get stuff like milk and bread from ALDI if it scares you that much!

Haha, I'm not that broke (yet).
Original post by littlenorthernlass

Lol, are you a Waitrose "toff" or something?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Welkom
Scared? ****ing hell.

repped
Original post by Technetium
Haha, I'm not that broke (yet).

I meant to add to your shopping list, since they are essentials that can't really go wrong. I wasn't suggestive you just live off a diet of milk and bread :lol:
Aldi in Germany is decent, its the equivalent of a Saintsbury's.
Over here it's an extreme discounter. I'd rather shop in Saintsbury's!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest