The Student Room Group

What is always wrong?

So I have been asked by my ethics teacher to write a list of what is always considered wrong, however for everything i come up with, I always find a situation where it is not wrong... any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GlockenspielGuy
I always find a situation where it is not wrong... any ideas?

Rape?
So I have been asked by my ethics teacher to write a list of what is always considered wrong, however for everything i come up with, I always find a situation where it is not wrong... any ideas?

Isn't "wrong" completely subjective?
Original post by Zargabaath
Isn't "wrong" completely subjective?

I suppose in a way it is, so if i put it that way then yes there is something that is always classed as wrong according to someones mind however, if you look at it from society as a whole and different situations you could say that nothing is ever classed as wrong due to there being a number of different situations giving you a number of different reasons for doing it, for example if you murdered one person because they were going to kill 10 people would that not be classed as a right action as it is having a better impact. correct me if I'm wrong
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Rape?

I thought rape, but in the book 'the pig that wants to be eaten' we are told of a situation where it was right for someone to rape a person because there were less consequences for him to rape them than those for someone else to rape them
I thought rape, but in the book 'the pig that wants to be eaten' we are told of a situation where it was right for someone to rape a person because there were less consequences for him to rape them than those for someone else to rape them

'Told it was right', who are they to say that?

Causing someone else to suffer to save yourself isn't 'right'

But then who am I to say that...
I suppose in a way it is, so if i put it that way then yes there is something that is always classed as wrong according to someones mind however, if you look at it from society as a whole and different situations you could say that nothing is ever classed as wrong due to there being a number of different situations giving you a number of different reasons for doing it, for example if you murdered one person because they were going to kill 10 people would that not be classed as a right action as it is having a better impact. correct me if I'm wrong

I agree with you, that's a really tough question because it's so open ended. Did you teacher mean wrong as in behaviour only, or did they mean wrong in any sense of the word?
Original post by Zargabaath
I agree with you, that's a really tough question because it's so open ended. Did you teacher mean wrong as in behaviour only, or did they mean wrong in any sense of the word?

The work was just to write a list of things that are always wrong, i feel like i should write something explaining why a lot of things can never be classed as completely wrong, and show her that i used other sources to try and get more information because i do not think that with a question that open you can write a specific answer
Original post by L'Evil Fish
'Told it was right', who are they to say that?

Causing someone else to suffer to save yourself isn't 'right'

But then who am I to say that...

i think it was more the fact that the person being raped would suffer less if he had raped her than if another person had raped her, therefore in a sense making it 'right'
Being heartless or downright wicked?
Not emphasizing with other people?
Selfishness?
Greediness?
Hypocrisy?
Bigotry or Discrimination?
Lyling?
These are some of my suggestions. You can disagree if you want .
With rape itself they're "excuses" for men biologically which they get away with.
The statement 1=2.
2+2=5

A name's sole purpose is to describe an object (I'm kidding. I'm just a kripke fanboy)

The purpose of this exercise is kind of to exploit the fact that you can reason a lot of things from the same set of material and 'what if's' so you can't use broad things like 'rape' 'selfishness' or even 'bad things are wrong' because different moral systems give different answers. Hell, the same moral system gives different answer. For example, a utilitarian could have rightfully agreed with the WWII nuclear bombings but now disagree.

So it does take a lot of work to argue for what is right (since I'm sure that you would still agree that rape is wrong even if it's a lesser evil at times).

If you don't want to focus on moral examples, just argue that things which are logically invalid are always wrong. Like 2+2=5 or Married bachelors exist.
Slavery
Racism
Sexism
Homophobia
Torture
Genocide
Reply 14
Whatever a man says.

#GoTeamFemale
i think it was more the fact that the person being raped would suffer less if he had raped her than if another person had raped her, therefore in a sense making it 'right'

Aah

Something that goes against all evidence

Denying existence of colour
Aah

Something that goes against all evidence

Denying existence of colour

The evidence one isn't a great example. Evidence can just be wrong or misleading. Evidence mainly gives us a gauge of how reasonable it is to believe in something. Many scientific theories have been overthrown despite evidence in their favour.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
The evidence one isn't a great example. Evidence can just be wrong or misleading. Evidence mainly gives us a gauge of how reasonable it is to believe in something. Many scientific theories have been overthrown despite evidence in their favour.

So the earth is flat?
Gravity doesn't exist under some form?
We don't revolve around the sun?

Yes, but there are things that we are certain of now
So the earth is flat?
Gravity doesn't exist under some form?
We don't revolve around the sun?

Yes, but there are things that we are certain of now

"Of now". The question is asking about truths that aren't affected by time. And I'm not sure you want to make many physical claims about the word, say you're certain then qualify it with 'of now'.

Of course I haven't said any of those statements and don't hold them to be true.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
"Of now". The question is asking about truths that aren't affected by time. And I'm not sure you want to make many physical claims about the word, say you're certain then qualify it with 'of now'.

Of course I haven't said any of those statements and don't hold them to be true.

You don't know it's time transcending truths. If it was, then there's nothing that's always wrong

There are things we are certain of.

There, didn't need the now. Unless you want to get completely philosophical and say nothing is real

So you don't think it true the earth is not flat? There will never come a time, where we say, oh the earth is indeed flat like we said.

Maybe the answer the teacher wants is nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending