The Student Room Group

Ask Peterhouse!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by albaboludalopez
Hello, I visited Cambridge during the July open day and fell in love with Peterhouse the moment I got there. Nevertheless, although content with my results I'm not sure if I have any realistic chance to get in or if I'm "Cambridge material". My results are these:
IGCSE: 6 A*, 3 A
AS level:
- Geography B (dropping it for A2)
- History A (83% average)
- Economics A (87% average)
- Maths A (87% average)
- Spanish A (98% average)
I'm expecting A*A*AA as predictions for this year.
Also, I wanted to ask to what extent the lack of further maths weakens my application, and whether spanish a-level counts given that I'm actually Spanish :colondollar:. Thank you in advance.

You haven't said what you're applying for :lol:
Hi, I know you get a lot of questions that look exactly like this one, so sorry for asking it!

I will be applying for mathematics and I would like to know roughly what quintile my AS UMS results will place me in, and how competitive my application is on paper (my gut feeling is that it's only about average Cambridge standards!) Would my UMS average include economics?

Mathematics MEI - 7 Modules (679/700)
C1 98
C2 100
C3 100
C4 100
M1 100
M2 90
S1 91

Advancing Physics B, OCR (283/300)
Physics in action 81/90
Understanding processes 150/150
Experiment and data handling (coursework) 52/60

Economics OCR (180/200)
Markets in action 98/100
International and national economy (82/100)

Other
STEP I - 1 (not sure if I have to declare my raw marks for this one)

IGCSE: 5A*s and 3As. (Only 8)

IELTS: 8.5
Speaking 9.0
Listening 8.5
Reading 8.5
Writing 8.0

Now I'm in the upper 6 I currently have not yet dropped any subjects but I am wondering if it is advisable to drop economics being the least relevant a level, or if it is better to wait first, or if I should contact the cambridge college I wish to apply to.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You haven't said what you're applying for :lol:

economics:biggrin:
Reply 83
Hi. I want to apply to history for 2017 entry. I am taking maths, further maths, physics and history at A-Level. Is this combination acceptable, or will the lack of a second essay-based subject alongside history hinder my application?
Reply 84
Original post by albaboludalopez
economics:biggrin:

Maybe edit your original post to make it easier for the AT. :wink:
Reply 85
Original post by imsoanonymous123
Hi, I know you get a lot of questions that look exactly like this one, so sorry for asking it!

I will be applying for mathematics and I would like to know roughly what quintile my AS UMS results will place me in, and how competitive my application is on paper (my gut feeling is that it's only about average Cambridge standards!) Would my UMS average include economics?

Mathematics MEI - 7 Modules (679/700)
C1 98
C2 100
C3 100
C4 100
M1 100
M2 90
S1 91

Advancing Physics B, OCR (283/300)
Physics in action 81/90
Understanding processes 150/150
Experiment and data handling (coursework) 52/60

Economics OCR (180/200)
Markets in action 98/100
International and national economy (82/100)

Other
STEP I - 1 (not sure if I have to declare my raw marks for this one)

IGCSE: 5A*s and 3As. (Only 8)

IELTS: 8.5
Speaking 9.0
Listening 8.5
Reading 8.5
Writing 8.0

Now I'm in the upper 6 I currently have not yet dropped any subjects but I am wondering if it is advisable to drop economics being the least relevant a level, or if it is better to wait first, or if I should contact the cambridge college I wish to apply to.

Just to help the AT, what subjects are you doing in U6? Presumably Physics A2, Further Maths (6 modules or?) You would be expected to have 3 subjects or equivalent in your U6 year.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Is the test the TSA?

No, it will be a separate test given by a number of Colleges.
Original post by abdulmilad
I want to apply law and I have ACHIEVED grades of A*AA. therefore will I need to declare my ums and do I have to show what I achieved at AS level (showing its ums as well)

Thank you

All the modules you've sat across AS and A2 will be entered on the SAQ.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Whizbox
In an interview for medicine; how many separate interviews would I have? Assuming 2, would both interviews be similar or could I expect one on science and one on ethical issues perhaps, or would they be a mix of both?

Not applying to Peterhouse, however I assume that there will be a similar theme to the interviews throughout all the colleges?

I can only talk about Peterhouse interviews as other Colleges may well do things differently. At Peterhouse, applicants to Medicine have two interviews covering similar material, generally a mix of of science and Medicine questions.
Original post by kawehi
Hi, I'm a bit confused on how the SUMS is calculated!

I took 5 AS levels (Maths, FMaths, Bio, Chem, Physics), and I am looking to apply for Bio NatSci this year. Is my Physics UMS used in calculating the SUMS, or is it left out as it is not really relevant? Also, I know that the Maths and FMaths UMS is combined, but is it given a weight of 1 or 2 AS levels?

Separately, is there any measure that distinguishes candidates that took 5 AS from those that did 4 AS?

Thank you for any information!

Don't worry about merit scores. :smile:

SUMS is best 3 of chemistry, physics, biology and maths with all modules taken added together and divided by 3.

We can see much more than just the merit scores - all the modules you have taken are on the SAQ so we can see how many subjects you have taken.
Reply 90
Original post by Peterhouse SLO
SUMS is best 3 of chemistry, physics, biology and maths with all modules taken added together and divided by 3.

I know this must be tiresome but some applicants (and others) appear to be slightly confused on this point...

So for the avoidance of doubt: can you reconfirm SUMS is always Best 3 of any sciences offered (with all maths combined first) no matter the course being applied for?

And Sciences for SUMS are only Maths (inc FM), Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

Some are saying it's Most Relevant 3, not Best 3, so for Medicine they think Chem and Bio are "more relevant" than Physics or Maths.

And if only 2 sciences are offered, eg. Maths & Physics, a SUMS will still be calculated.

Thanks!

PS. Sorry in advance!
Sorry for butting in again, and another apology for bringing back the old topic,
but can you please clarify(?)/modify(?) the point you made on facilitating subjects a few days ago?

Reminder of the conversation:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3572717&page=2&p=59208771#post59208771

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3572717&page=3&p=59209015#post59209015

There was some confusion caused by the comment and though it was already clarified by Christ's Admission Tutor, I believe it'd be still better to make it clear what is the general view of admission tutors in regard to choice of A-level subjects. I'm a little concerned about some future prospective applicants would deliberately choose only easier subjects to get good grades which may effect their application to Cambridge. It won't be fair for them if that happens....

Thank you in advance and sorry again for being an annoyance. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi my daughter is in Y12 and achieved 11A* & 1A at GCSE and is currently studying AS /A2 in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Pschology. If she achieves the predicted grades in AS (AAAA) what UMS score and BMAT score places you in contention for a Cambridge Medicine interview.
No, it will be a separate test given by a number of Colleges.

Oh is this a test we will need to prepare for in any way?
All the modules you've sat across AS and A2 will be entered on the SAQ.

Hi again,I don't want to mention my UMS scores on my ucas application because I don't want other universities which I am applying to see.Therefore would it be fine if I ONLY mentioned my ums scores on my SQA?
Reply 95
Hi,

Would a U grade in AEA maths put me at a disadvantage for my application for engineering despite achieving 97% for A level Maths , 96% for AS physics and 90% for AS chemistry.I would be doing A level Further maths this coming year.

Thank you!
Original post by lifeincolour
Hi, thanks for answering this in advance.

For the Geography course (I know Peterhouse don't offer Geography but I thought I'd ask anyway), do you know if one interview is based around physical geography and one around human? Or does it just depend on the interviewers/college?

I'm afraid I don't know - the organisation and content of interviews may vary between Colleges. Your best bet is to get in touch with Colleges you're interested in.
Original post by kawehi
So physics is left out entirely?

Well, since they rank the candidates and place them in A-E purely on UMS, I was just wondering if there was anything additional for those with more AS-levels. Thanks though!

We use best 3 (or 2 if only 2 are available). I really want to stress that Merit scores aren't as important as many seem to think - your points (and those of others on this thread) about the limitations of averages are bang on the money and this is why we always dig deeper into the module-by-module scores for all subjects on the SAQ.
Original post by underestimate
Hello,
I need some advice on whether I should apply to cambridge. I wanted to study medicine, however my AS Ums average is 92% in the most relevant subjects Bio 95%, Chemistry 88% and Maths 93% which is below 95% for medicine offer holders. What is your advice?

95% isn't a cutoff, it's the average of successful applicants, meaning there are some with scores below 95% and some with scores above. If you're on track for the typical offer (A*A*A) then you should think about applying.
Original post by mubmoh
Hello, I really appreciate that the admission team at Peterhouse has taken time out to make a thread. :smile:

I am post A2, who has just finished my A level exams (achieving A*AAA in maths, physics, chemistry, fmaths). I am just enquiring if it possible to apply for Cambridge mathematics with post A2 resits. Via resits I am hoping to achieve A*A*A*A*.

Just some history/detail of my A levels:

my school does not offer AS (or A2) level further mathematics, so at AS level I was not able to pick fmaths :frown:, only after completing my AS, I saw that I desired to study mathematics at Uni. This left me with no choice but to self-teach the entire A level course (6 math modules) 6 months prior to my final A2 exams so that I could gain the qualification by summer.

this left me with 14 exams to study for in examination season (with 9 being self-taught), it was an extremely high workload.

All my A grades are relatively close to the A* mark, (Physics 5 ums off, Chemistry 8 ums off, Further maths 10 ums off) I achieved lower in all the unit 5 exams (these will be resit). Even with resitting some A2 fmaths modules I would have still completed the A level in 2 years like most.

I go to a relatively low achieving school, average A level grade of "D-/E+", as well as this only person to ever achieve AAA or higher.

Your response will be well appreciated, so please be as honest as possible :smile: Thanks

Hi, happy to help!

Given the circumstances, you might to consider submitting an ECF. There are also sections on the SAQ to deal with teaching difficulties, and your teachers should mention your school context in their UCAS reference. I would recommend that you email the admissions offices of Colleges you're interested in directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending