The Student Room Group

Anime

Scroll to see replies

Serial Experiments Lain - about the web & computers - shows about identities, not for everyone
Black Rock Shooter - dealing with pain/manipulation/growing up - excellent CGI/short series
Neon Genesis Evangelion - displays mental illness/trauma/manipulation - very deep characters
Deadman Wonderland - lots of action, slightly disappointing ending but still interesting to watch
Berserk - don't get into bersker for your own good unless you feel like destroying yourself
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - magical girl story, can't really summarise it but the animation - A+
Ghost In The Shell - question raising psychological series, recommended if you're into cyberpunk
Mawaru PenguinDrum - psychological, symbolism heavy
Mirai Nikki - murder murder, pretty interesting
Pandora Hearts - to be honest the manga is better than the anime but watch it if you wanna be confused

That's what has come to mind primarily, guess they're way on top on my favourites list.

EDIT: added summaries for OP or anyone else but got tired on the last ones sigh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Luindes
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Not entirely sure if that would appeal to someone who had just come out of SAO but I will admit, that anime is the epitome of "Don't judge an (anime) by its cover"!
The Tatami Galaxy is one of my all-time favourites, it's like watching a novel unfold before your eyes, complete with rapid-fire dialogue and superb animation. The ending alone is a masterpiece and well worth the ride in my opinion.

Other favourites of mine include : Monster, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Usagi Drop, Welcome to the NHK, K-On!, Fullmetal Alchemist + Brotherhood, Evangelion, Hunter x Hunter, Steins; Gate, and Shinsekai yori.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hyouka is my all time favourite.

Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann, Haikyuu!!, Ore Monogatari, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are favourites too.
PMMM is absolutely brilliant. I absolutely adore the European folklore/fairytale references in the story. (It took me so long to realise that Sayaka Miki is an obvious reference to HC Andersen's The Little Mermaid.)
Original post by Plagioclase
Not entirely sure if that would appeal to someone who had just come out of SAO but I will admit, that anime is the epitome of "Don't judge an (anime) by its cover"!

I don't really understand the whole ''this person just started watching anime, give them simple stuff'' thing going on. OP is asking for peoples favourites, anyway
Original post by Luindes
I don't really understand the whole ''this person just started watching anime, give them simple stuff'' thing going on. OP is asking for peoples favourites, anyway

I'm just saying that it would not have resonated with me if SAO was the only kind of thing I had already seen but fine, I accept what you're saying.
I'm just saying that it would not have resonated with me if SAO was the only kind of thing I had already seen but fine, I accept what you're saying.

You don't really know what you like until you've seen a variety - that's what I believe.

For a very long time I was watching stuff like Lucky Star/Hetalia/Nichijou thinking it was my thing, though few years after I realised psychological/tragedy genres are more for me. You never know!
Original post by Luindes
You don't really know what you like until you've seen a variety - that's what I believe.

For a very long time I was watching stuff like Lucky Star/Hetalia/Nichijou thinking it was my thing, though few years after I realised psychological/tragedy genres are more for me. You never know!

Very true, I take back what I said!
watch cowboy bebop bc the guy's hair is cool
Reply 50
New animes: Charlotte is pretty decent, Overlord and God Eater not bad either
Also: Danshi koukousei no nichijou (comedy)
Reply 51
Also, nobody mentioned yahari ore no seishun?
Reply 52
My all time favourite anime is Angel Beats. I would suggest watching it. :tongue:
Fav is prob Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis or the first half of parasyte (that turned **** in the second half).

OH it wasn't for me.
Original post by Tragedy
My all time favourite anime is Angel Beats. I would suggest watching it. :tongue:

i love the ending!
Original post by DannyDualscar
i love the ending!

It was too short! :frown:
It was too short! :frown:

definitely, so many people say that and i agree. all the characters needed backstories, i say

ending spoilers:

Spoiler

Death Note

Haven't seen a lot of anime though..
I just finished Parasyte so I need to fill in the empty 'hole in my heart' that it just created (pun intended). Is Code Geass really 'that' good or slightly overrated?

It was the first anime I ever saw and I also thought it was the greatest thing ever made when I first saw it. A year on, I've re-watched it and it isn't quite as incredible as I seem to remember but it's still pretty brilliant. I think the best part of Steins;Gate are the characters - they're all brilliant and the development is excellently done.

lol, Steins;gate was my first anime too
Original post by champ_mc99
I just finished Parasyte so I need to fill in the empty 'hole in my heart' that it just created (pun intended). Is Code Geass really 'that' good or slightly overrated?

lol, Steins;gate was my first anime too

Code Geass is probably worth watching for you. I quite liked it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending