The Student Room Group

I got denied university accommodation because i am under 18..

after i've accepted their initial accommodation offer at city campus, they sent me this email:

"It has come to light that you have only just turned 16 years of age, therefore Accommodation Services have no alternative but to withdraw your offer of accommodation"

lol? where am i supposed to stay now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
done with sixth form
Original post by jellofo
done with sixth form

how
Reply 3
"Why"? idk how to answer that

Original post by bright12345
how

finished olevels at 13
Original post by jellofo
after i've accepted their initial accommodation offer at city campus, they sent me this email:

"It has come to light that you have only just turned 16 years of age, therefore Accommodation Services have no alternative but to withdraw your offer of accommodation"

I would phone them up and ask for advice as to what your next step would be
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
I would phone them up and ask for advice as to what your next step would be

i sent them an email 3 days ago asking why, they didn't reply back
Reply 6
im not from the uk, and yes i was
Original post by jellofo
i sent them an email 3 days ago asking why, they didn't reply back

Give them a call, some universities do take a while to get back in touch but at least on the phone hopefully you wont have to wait for an answer
I would email whoever offered you the place on the course.

Normally they make special arrangements .

there used to be a 'celebrity brainy kid" at Oxford who's Dad went with her to Uni
Reply 9
Original post by domonict
I would email whoever offered you the place on the course.

Normally they make special arrangements .

there used to be a 'celebrity brainy kid" at Oxford who's Dad went with her to Uni

after i accepted the offer, the halls manager requested an appointment with me as i am under 18. then i got that email lol
CIE still does O levels in several countries such as Pakistan :smile:
Original post by jellofo

You'll have to look into private accomodation like a house share.
I think you will find it difficult as you need to be 18 to legally hold a tenancy in the UK. Contact the university and ask them for advice.
In any case
I am under 18 and will be staying at halls independent from my uni, but they did offer me accommodation!
I really find that a bit weird in the uk you can legally move out at 16 (with parental consent but still).
Reply 15
Original post by jelly1000
You'll have to look into private accomodation like a house share.

this

Original post by Jenx301
need to be 18 to legally hold a tenancy in the UK.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I really find that a bit weird in the uk you can legally move out at 16 (with parental consent but still).

Why is that weird?

You should be able to own property at any age tbh.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Why is that weird?

I think you can't sign a legal contract under 18.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Why is that weird?

it's weird she was denied because she'll be under 18 when as i said she can move out at 16 with parental consent.
Reply 19
i called them, they said it was because i had only just turned 16 (so if my birthday was any earlier it would've been ok).
i dont even know how that changes anything + they never mentioned it in their only document about under 18 applicants.

Quick Reply