The Student Room Group

Ask Peterhouse!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imsoanonymous123
Hi, I know you get a lot of questions that look exactly like this one, so sorry for asking it!

I will be applying for mathematics and I would like to know roughly what quintile my AS UMS results will place me in, and how competitive my application is on paper (my gut feeling is that it's only about average Cambridge standards!) Would my UMS average include economics?

Mathematics MEI - 7 Modules (679/700)
C1 98
C2 100
C3 100
C4 100
M1 100
M2 90
S1 91

Advancing Physics B, OCR (283/300)
Physics in action 81/90
Understanding processes 150/150
Experiment and data handling (coursework) 52/60

Economics OCR (180/200)
Markets in action 98/100
International and national economy (82/100)

Other
STEP I - 1 (not sure if I have to declare my raw marks for this one)

IGCSE: 5A*s and 3As. (Only 8)

IELTS: 8.5
Speaking 9.0
Listening 8.5
Reading 8.5
Writing 8.0

Now I'm in the upper 6 I currently have not yet dropped any subjects but I am wondering if it is advisable to drop economics being the least relevant a level, or if it is better to wait first, or if I should contact the cambridge college I wish to apply to.

Don't worry about UMS averages!

Those are some very good results. For maths, a lot of the assessment is about how good you are at solving maths problems (which isn't necessarily the same as doing very well at maths A level, although candidates who are good at one tend to be good at the other). STEP also plays a large role in our selection of Mathematics students. We ideally want candidates to be studying 3 subjects in upper 6th.
Original post by vincrows
Sorry for butting in again, and another apology for bringing back the old topic,
but can you please clarify(?)/modify(?) the point you made on facilitating subjects a few days ago?

Reminder of the conversation:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3572717&page=2&p=59208771#post59208771

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3572717&page=3&p=59209015#post59209015

There was some confusion caused by the comment and though it was already clarified by Christ's Admission Tutor, I believe it'd be still better to make it clear what is the general view of admission tutors in regard to choice of A-level subjects. I'm a little concerned about some future prospective applicants would deliberately choose only easier subjects to get good grades which may effect their application to Cambridge. It won't be fair for them if that happens....

Thank you in advance and sorry again for being an annoyance. :wink:

Lots of good students do rule themselves out of contention, or weaken their application, with their choice of A levels. Students should look at the advice in resources like Subject Matters (which Is excellent if students haven't decided which it THE course for them) but also consult university prospectuses to get an idea of essential/advantageous subjects.

Whilst an ideal candidates may have keystone+facilitating subjects, that doesn't mean that candidates who have made other choices which fulfil the essential criteria shouldn't apply. A lot of prospective applicants look around for reasons NOT to apply, which I can completely understand - it's not easy to put yourself forward and go through the stress of an application - applying to any university is a brave thing to do. One of the great things about Cambridge admissions is that all applicants are treated on a case-by-case basis - all of the many people involved take the time to understand candidates in a holistic way and there is a lot of nuance which is difficult to communicate. It is always much more complicated than X% UMS+Keystone+facilitating=offer.

Another aspect which is often overlooked is that A levels (or equivalents) aren't just about getting in to university - they're also about setting the foundations to do well there.
Original post by lordcavendish
Hi my daughter is in Y12 and achieved 11A* & 1A at GCSE and is currently studying AS /A2 in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Pschology. If she achieves the predicted grades in AS (AAAA) what UMS score and BMAT score places you in contention for a Cambridge Medicine interview.

There are no thresholds and our assessment is about more than just UMS and BMAT results. Your daughter should aim to do as well as possible and be on track for A*A*A at A2.
Original post by abdulmilad
Hi again,I don't want to mention my UMS scores on my ucas application because I don't want other universities which I am applying to see.Therefore would it be fine if I ONLY mentioned my ums scores on my SQA?

The UCAS form only has grades. UMS is only collected by Cambridge, using the SAQ.
Original post by kai!
Hi,

Would a U grade in AEA maths put me at a disadvantage for my application for engineering despite achieving 97% for A level Maths , 96% for AS physics and 90% for AS chemistry.I would be doing A level Further maths this coming year.

Thank you!

No, not necessarily. I suppose it would depend why. Interviewers may ask you about it, but provided they're happy with your maths ability then it wouldn't need to be a problem.
Original post by lifeincolour
Hi, thanks for answering this in advance.

For the Geography course (I know Peterhouse don't offer Geography but I thought I'd ask anyway), do you know if one interview is based around physical geography and one around human? Or does it just depend on the interviewers/college?

Hi, I happened to know several Geographers (current and recent graduates) in various colleges, and afaik two interviews cover both physical and human. You'll have to do both Physical and Human in the first year, so they want to make sure your standard is up to scratch in both. How it's conducted (like if one is physical- only and the other human-only or mixed on both) may vary from college to college.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi, that's an unorthodox mix of subjects, but your application would certainly be considered. You should be aware that you will be competing with applicants with several historically-based subjects.

would i be at a disadvantage to people with more historically-based subjects?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Oh is this a test we will need to prepare for in any way?

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-test/
Hi
How would it be viewed if i were to apply for physical natsci with IB higher levels of maths,physics and economics? Would the lack of two sciences be a major problem?
Thanks
Lots of good students do rule themselves out of contention, or weaken their application, with their choice of A levels. Students should look at the advice in resources like Subject Matters (which Is excellent if students haven't decided which it THE course for them) but also consult university prospectuses to get an idea of essential/advantageous subjects.

Whilst an ideal candidates may have keystone+facilitating subjects, that doesn't mean that candidates who have made other choices which fulfil the essential criteria shouldn't apply.
A lot of prospective applicants look around for reasons NOT to apply, which I can completely understand - it's not easy to put yourself forward and go through the stress of an application - applying to any university is a brave thing to do. One of the great things about Cambridge admissions is that all applicants are treated on a case-by-case basis - all of the many people involved take the time to understand candidates in a holistic way and there is a lot of nuance which is difficult to communicate. It is always much more complicated than X% UMS+Keystone+facilitating=offer.

Another aspect which is often overlooked is that A levels (or equivalents) aren't just about getting in to university - they're also about setting the foundations to do well there.

Thank you so much for your reply and clarification & detailed explanation. Greatly appreciated.
It's very assuring and a relief to know what we, the voluntary helpers in this forum, hadn't been giving wrong advices to potential applicants to Cambridge. *phew*

It may be a weird question, but can I please ask who I'm speaking with now?
I noticed Martin (I think...) was back to this thread earlier today but with a different username/avatar, but now the old Peterhouse Admissions username/avatar is back again....
Because the role of SLO and that of Admission Tutors are not exactly the same, I do understand the perspective/approach of each can be slightly different which can be reflected in how it's replied. I think it'd help us (or at least me!) if we know who's speaking from what perspective to understand better and avoid misinterpretation of what's being said.
(edited 8 years ago)
Typical offers for Engineering are based on 3 A levels (A*A*A) with physics, maths, further maths a great combination. We only expect you to be taking 3 A levels in year 13 (so excluding any taken early) and it is far better to excel in 3 than to do less well in 4. Remember that some Colleges (such as Peterhouse) do sometimes set STEP conditions for Engineering, so you want to be sure you have time to prepare for that. Do check with other universities you're applying to - they may prefer 4.

I've already sat 6 modules for normal maths and will not be taking any resits. I will be sitting 7 modules for further maths this year. If I sat these along with physics would that be the equivalent of sitting 3 A levels in the second year ? - or would it be wiser to continue computing. Also, if I choose to continue, would the offer include a given grade in computing?
Hello! I have a couple of questions about personal statements for an English application.

1) How would you view a personal statement in which the majority of books mentioned are modern?
2) Is it okay to talk about foreign works (for example French works in translation, or American works) in your personal statement, or should the focus be purely on works by English writers?

Thank you in advance for your time! :smile:
The UCAS form only has grades. UMS is only collected by Cambridge, using the SAQ.

thank you so much!

should I mention my all my AS grades OR just the 3 A2 level grades and my one AS grade that I dropped.

for example: if I got AABB at AS level and dropped one of the B's would that B be the only AS grade I mention whilst I only specify my A2 grades for my continued three subjects?

thanks again

Okay cheers, great to know I have ANOTHER obstacle to overcome to just be simply considered.
Any tips on preparing for the CSAT? Not a style of question I remember coming up against If I'm honest so is there any specific help us Computer Science applicants can get?
Hello, and thank you for this thread!

I will be applying for history this year as a student who has already finished my A2s. My A2 grades were: A* Maths (92%), A* Physics (94%), and an A in History (94% over the whole A level, but I missed out on the A* due to a shock A2 module result and will be retaking!). I also got 87% (A) in my Politics AS. I was 'commended' in the Peterhouse History essay competition, which I hope makes up a little for my History grade, but I am concerned the A will weaken my application. Would my A grade in History be considered a serious problem?

Many thanks for your time.
Do applicants receiving a Computer Science w/Maths offer ever be required to get an A* in Physics? I know the typical offer is A*A*A 1,1 in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, STEP II and III respectively but in what situation would you want an A* in all three, the third being in Physics?

I only ask because applying for a course with no Physics in at all, I wouldn't expect to need the A* in it.

Leading me onto my second question - If a (Computer Science with Maths) offer holder where to narrowly miss their STEP grades but hit/ surpass A level grades, is it technically a possibility that they get offered a place for either of the other Computer Science options - the ones lighter on Maths?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by J.M.Keynes
For Economics, is Maths UMS more important than Economics UMS as I have 100% in Maths but only (by Cambridge standards) 94% in Economics. Will this disadvantage my application? And furthermore, is it okay if I have done the whole of A-Level Maths in year 12 and am doing the whole of A-Level F.Maths in year 13?

Can I just ask, how did you get 100%? That's amazing!
Hey I'm going to be applying for pg study this year, in particular the MASt in Applied Maths. Is there any scholarships/funding help from peterhouse for this course? (i'm a home/uk student)

Also I was wondering how close the pg accommodation is to the college? Do pg's eat very often at the college? Just trying to get an idea of whether the pg community is integrated with the college or a bit more independent, and do you think that's common amongst other colleges? Thanks a lot in advance!
Hi all,
We're closing up a bit early for the weekend so if we haven't got back to you yet we will do next week - have a good weekend all of you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending