The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Before we know it, looking at women will be considered rape.
Reply 21
Original post by Sam280297
Absolutely ridiculous
Telling someone that they have a 'stunning picture' isn't sexist at all. Just goes to show you how far some people will take sexism. It's not like he said anything misogynistic about her, it was a simple compliment. If a man can't even compliment a woman anymore, what can we do. It's as if breathing will antagonise some feminists.

If we were talking about a dating site or twitter or facebook or any other casual social network, then yes, you'd be right, a compliment isn't sexist.

But lots of people are unsurprisingly taking this out of context, the problem here wasn't the compliment, it was the fact that this was on LinkedIn, a professional networking site and clearly making comments like this in a professional environment are inappropriate, the guy in his comment even said 'this is probably politically incorrect'. Perhaps she slightly overreacted in her reply to him, but I still think she's justified in being annoyed and taking to twitter about it, like people have already said, women shouldn't be judged in a professional environment by their appearance.
Hmm,

if she had received a message from him, fair point.

But she approached him.
LinkedIn isn't a dating site but if she was happily on her own in a bar and a random bloke came over, she might complain.

she "went over" to him and din't like what he said when he was probably just trying to compliment her ( ok - so bad move)

She shouldn't have to, but if she is hacked off at messages about her appearance, maybe a less flattering picture?
Original post by domonict
Hmm,

if she had received a message from him, fair point.

But she approached him.
LinkedIn isn't a dating site but if she was happily on her own in a bar and a random bloke came over, she might complain.

she "went over" to him and din't like what he said when he was probably just trying to compliment her ( ok - so bad move)

She shouldn't have to, but if she is hacked off at messages about her appearance, maybe a less flattering picture?

Just because you talk to someone first (in a profession environment in this case) doesn't mean you have to accept comments on your appearance.
I can understand annoyance at unsolicited comments on your personal appearance in the work place, but a quick low key PM should have been sufficient, not....this.
Reply 25
You shouldn't have to ask someone's permission to compliment them, on or offline.

She saw an opportunity to get noticed, hopefully it will set her back.
Reply 26
It will be even harder for her to receive 'messages asking if she wants a job at hedge funds'. Who would want to employ a person who whines in the national press when someone says she's "stunning"?
Reply 27
Well, now everyone is stunned by how moronic she is. I wonder which she prefers?
Hm...

I don't see anything particularly wrong with seeing a colleague and nonchalantly remarking "your hair looks nice today/I like your suit" (regardless of your/your colleague's gender).

I also doubt that she would have reacted the same way if it had been a woman telling her she looked stunning.
Commenting on someone's appearance in a work context is not professional, but neither is publishing personal messages.
The funniest part of the story is that she's a 4/10 tops

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright, maybe the appearance-related comment was slightly unprofessional and could be interpreted as a little sexist, but seriously, national television? The word 'melodrama' springs to mind.

What next? "Coming up on CNN Crossfire, Mark from accounting winked at Lucy from payroll over by the water cooler. Here's Wolf Blitzer with the full story..."
(edited 8 years ago)
He was in for a bit of a perv, she was in for a bit of PR. Sad all round.
Reply 33
Reply 34
"A partner in one of the UK’s largest criminal law firms suggested Miss Proudman would be ‘blacklisted’ by solicitors. "

Good riddance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Bengali

Nobody cares when a mother says "look at my son he's handsome".
Original post by MetalAlchemist
I was watching the news today, and I looked into this "Sexism Row" discussion.

A female lawyer accused a male lawyer for being sexist, because he gave her a compliment. He said that her picture is "stunning" and was highly offended by this comment.

Now, she has made it a big deal to the point where it's on National TV and she is still trying justify herself on why the comment is sexist.

The male lawyer is also being shamed on television, because of it!!!!

I think it's a ridiculous accusation.

What do you think about this?

National TV is braindead **** which reports on crap instead of actual news because it gets more publicity. It's not sexist - it might have been a bit inappropriate but yeah, it's ridiculous and anyone who thinks otherwise can go f themselves.
Reply 37
Original post by Bengali

FYI you're a phaggot not for this post but just in general one of the biggest phaggots on TSR. I would rather take down my poster of zyzz than be a phaggot like you

:confused:
she's overreacted. she is probably on period or something
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Just because you talk to someone first (in a profession environment in this case) doesn't mean you have to accept comments on your appearance.

You are correct in this but three wrongs don't make a right.

She was at least equally unprofessional by taking to twitter over this.

However, this is a criticism of being judged on physical appearance by a person who has chosen to post an image of herself on what amounts to an online CV. Moreover in that image she has chosen to enhance her physical appearance by wearing both make-up and jewellery.

Latest

Trending

Trending