The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rvas
Applying for Experimental Psychology! Am at South Island atm, taking the IB. What about you?

yay another IB-er! 😄 what subjects are you taking?
Original post by rvas
Applying to New cause it has quite a few undergrad psychologists and one of their professors does research on a topic I'm interested in :-)
IB is alright as long as you keep up with the deadlines, but if you don't it does get pretty bad hahahah.....

How does your school do with Oxbridge applications? Do they tend to get students in yearly?

That is very cool! Here's to us getting in.

Lol @ IB, I'm glad you're doing well.

Since my school is Alberta-curriculum based, most of the graduated classes have went to Canada (U of Toronto and U of British Columbia is very popular) but in these few years some of us are foraying into UK. I think I may (along with another girl) be the first ones applying to Oxford? Being a pioneer, lol. But I've scheduled some mock-interviews with my Ancient History teacher, so it's all good.

How about South Island? I've heard that ESF schools have a very good reputation for getting their students into HKU, State Ivies and Russell Group Unis.
(edited 8 years ago)
This page just makes me mote nervous about applying... Look at all of you clever cloggs!
Original post by rtlloyd98
This page just makes me mote nervous about applying... Look at all of you clever cloggs!

I think we're all nervous about our applications :redface:
Original post by Artfanatic
Seeing as you are dishing out all the juicy statistics out for other subjects, would you be able to shed some light on fine art figures of anything that may be of interest please?

Sure. The most important thing to emphasise is that Fine Art students are selected by the Ruskin School and the Fine Art Tutors at the school make the decision over whether a candidate gets a place at Oxford or not. The Ruskin also decides whether a candidate is invited to interview. The most important elements of selection are the portfolios candidates submit and after that performance in the Ruskin's practical tests and the Ruskin School's interview. There is also a college interview but it does not influence the decision to offer a place. In theory, we might consider the college interview in choosing who to keep or reallocate if two students were equally ranked by the Ruskin for a place but in practice all of our decisions are driven by the Ruskin's evaluation.

Fine Art students have some particular characteristics. They often apply after taking Foundation Art courses lasting a year and so may be 1-2 years older than the average undergraduate. It is also one of only a few degrees for which students may offer a BTEC qualification. That said, the typical applicant has a GCSE and A-level profile comparable to other courses as these scores indicate:

GCSE profile of candidates applying to Brasenose in 2014 & invited to interview
4A*-4A-1D 4A*-5A 5A*-4A 6A*-3A-1B 6A*-3A-2B 6A*-4A-3B 7A*-1A 9A*

A-level subjects studied:
G-A-H-Eli/ A-A-Eli/ Ph-A-Eli/ H-A-M-Eli/ Eli-Drt-Sp/ Ad-Gra-Re/ A-A-C-Re
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2165
Original post by medleg
yay another IB-er! 😄 what subjects are you taking?

Finally!! I'm taking HL Bio, Psych, LangLit and SL Business, Spanish B and Maths (did Maths in Year 12 tho). Wbu? Have you been given predicted grades yet? And what course are you going for? :-)
Reply 2166
Original post by somnacin
That is very cool! Here's to us getting in.

Lol @ IB, I'm glad you're doing well.

Since my school is Alberta-curriculum based, most of the graduated classes have went to Canada (U of Toronto and U of British Columbia is very popular) but in these few years some of us are foraying into UK. I think I may (along with another girl) be the first ones applying to Oxford? Being a pioneer, lol. But I've scheduled some mock-interviews with my Ancient History teacher, so it's all good.

How about South Island? I've heard that ESF schools have a very good reputation for getting their students into HKU, State Ivies and Russell Group Unis.

Toronto and UBC are really good!! Tons of people from my school apply to Canada as well, but also US, UK and Australia. From the year that just graduated, 3 are going to Cambridge and 2 to Oxford and I think 4 got into Ivies...Definitely is good, but since we have approx 200 kids in one year, we have a wide range of unis.
Original post by Azula
Aw just have a think about it and look at the different careers it could lead to.
I'm stuck between medicine and biomedical sciences due to my UKCAT and stuff but I was wondering what kind of GCSEs would give me an ok chance to apply for biomed?

Just making sure-you know oxford is a bmat uni right?
Original post by buzzfeed23
Hi,
would you mind posting the GCSE stats for medicine? It would be very much appreciated!

Reply 2169
Original post by GoldOnTheCeiling
Just making sure-you know oxford is a bmat uni right?

Yeahh I do I was planning on applying to 2 bmat 2 ukcat
Original post by rvas
Finally!! I'm taking HL Bio, Psych, LangLit and SL Business, Spanish B and Maths (did Maths in Year 12 tho). Wbu? Have you been given predicted grades yet? And what course are you going for? :-)

I do HL bio, chem and german and SL english philosophy and maths :smile: yeah! predicted 45 although that is ridiculous 😂 and medicine! how about you?
Original post by Azula
Yeahh I do I was planning on applying to 2 bmat 2 ukcat

Good idea, have you decided on medicine then?
Reply 2172
Original post by GoldOnTheCeiling
Good idea, have you decided on medicine then?

I have no idea
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Sure. The most important thing to emphasise is that Fine Art students are selected by the Ruskin School and the Fine Art Tutors at the school make the decision over whether a candidate gets a place at Oxford or not. The Ruskin also decides whether a candidate is invited to interview. The most important elements of selection are the portfolios candidates submit and after that performance in the Ruskin's practical tests and the Ruskin School's interview. There is also a college interview but it does not influence the decision to offer a place. In theory, we might consider the college interview in choosing who to keep or reallocate if two students were equally ranked by the Ruskin for a place but in practice all of our decisions are driven by the Ruskin's evaluation.

Fine Art students have some particular characteristics. They often apply after taking Foundation Art courses lasting a year and so may be 1-2 years older than the average undergraduate. It is also one of only a few degrees for which students may offer a BTEC qualification. That said, the typical applicant has a GCSE and A-level profile comparable to other courses as these scores indicate:

GCSE profile of candidates applying to Brasenose in 2014 & invited to interview
4A*-4A-1D 4A*-5A 5A*-4A 6A*-3A-1B 6A*-3A-2B 6A*-4A-3B 7A*-1A 9A*

A-level subjects studied:
G-A-H-Eli/ A-A-Eli/ Ph-A-Eli/ H-A-M-Eli/ Eli-Drt-Sp/ Ad-Gra-Re/ A-A-C-Re

If you were to get the time, would you mind posting something similar for chemistry? Absolutely no problem if you don't have time, though. :smile:

EDIT: please ignore - Plagioclase has pointed out that you have already posted it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by itsConnor_
If you were to get the time, would you mind posting something similar for chemistry? Absolutely no problem if you don't have time, though. :smile:

It was posted earlier in the thread:

Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Applied to Brasenose, took GCSEs, invited to interview at Oxford in 2014:10A* 10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-2A 10A*-2A-1C 11A* 11A* 12A* 12A*-2A 2A*-5A-3B 4A*-5A-3B 5A*-3A-1B 5A*-4A-1B 5A*-4A-2B 5A*-6A 6A*-4A-1B 7A*-4A 7A*-4A 7A*-5A 8A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-2B 8A*-2A-3B 9A* 9A* 9A* 9A*-2A 9A*-2A �N�
I was hoping to apply to oxford however I am still very unsure as I only have 2A*'s at GCSE's although I have done alright for my AS's.
Is it worth apply with the following:
GCSE's: 2A* 9A 4B
AS Levels:Maths A, Economics A, Accounting A, Business Studies B(Have dropped business)

I would like to apply for the Economics and Management course.
Original post by GGHD67
I was hoping to apply to oxford however I am still very unsure as I only have 2A*'s at GCSE's although I have done alright for my AS's.
Is it worth apply with the following:
GCSE's: 2A* 9A 4B
AS Levels:Maths A, Economics A, Accounting A, Business Studies B(Have dropped business)

I would like to apply for the Economics and Management course.

I'm afraid you would be quite 'up against it', due to your GCSEs and the fact that economics and business are very similar. Accounting also might hold you back a little bit in that it isn't too well respected by Oxbridge and is very similar to maths/economics. Having said that, you never know - a very high TSA might swing it a bit more in your favour
I am wanting to apply for Law at Wadham College. I have 10 A*s at GCSE and achieved AAAB at AS in Maths, History, Religious Studies and English Literature (which I have dropped). I also have a B in EPQ if that counts for anything. What are my chances of getting in? Does the B in English and the fact that I'm not doing 4 A Levels discount my application in any way? Also, what is the average LNAT score for those chosen for interview?
Original post by Plagioclase
It was posted earlier in the thread:

Hi, I've considered studying history at Oxford. My AS results were good A in history, A in art, A in philosophy and as I am doing the English pre-U I only have a mock grade which is a distinction equivalent to an A. I'm happy with these results but could I possibly be setback by my GCSE results? 4A*s in history, RE, English lit and lang, 4 As and 2 Bs? I went to a comprehensive school for my GCSEs but I am now at a grammar school. Also, I have no idea which college to apply to? Which are the least competitive?

Latest

Trending

Trending