The Student Room Group

College or Sixth Form? Differences?

I'm looking Into colleges already I just wanted to know what the differences were between college and 6th form and which one you guys preferred. Thankss
Well...I go to a sixth form college and its fab :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well...I go to a college and it's fab 😊
Reply 3
Wanted differences but thanks anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to a sixth form but I have some friends who go to college, so I have an idea of the differences. Basically, sixth form is basically like school but with no uniform, you have frees and the workload is higher. However, at a college you're given a lot more freedom, like no dress code and you'll maybe have less contact hours so you'll have to do more work at home. Also, there will be lots more choice in courses at a college, like they'll offer Btecs or the IB there as well as a wide range of a levels, whereas most sixth forms only offer A level courses. I would recommend attending some open days at some sixth forms and colleges so you can get a proper feel for them.
Original post by Georgina-Lucy
I go to a sixth form but I have some friends who go to college, so I have an idea of the differences. Basically, sixth form is basically like school but with no uniform, you have frees and the workload is higher. However, at a college you're given a lot more freedom, like no dress code and you'll maybe have less contact hours so you'll have to do more work at home. Also, there will be lots more choice in courses at a college, like they'll offer Btecs or the IB there as well as a wide range of a levels, whereas most sixth forms only offer A level courses. I would recommend attending some open days at some sixth forms and colleges so you can get a proper feel for them.

^^this
I think college is much better, but if youre introverted maybe not :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Georgina-Lucy

Thank you so much! I think I'd rather go college lol. 6th form basically still sounds like highschool minus the GCSEs :biggrin:
Reply 7
In my opinion college is generally a better experience

Sixth form (at school) generally is exactly like being at school for another 2 years, still have to call teachers Mr/Mrs/Miss and you normally have to wear uniform or business dress, attend assembly / school meetings and not being allowed to leave the site in your free periods - that's what the sixth forms around me are like anyway, most people parents make them go there because they think they will get a better education when thats not really the case (if you go to a decent college).

College is completely different and in my opinion it really allows you to grow up more, campuses are normally really nice and have good facilities, you call teachers by their first names, your free periods are your free time and you can do whatever you want in them, you can leave site whenever, and generally it is a really good atmosphere and experience, i know quite a few people at uni who went to their school sixth form and were totally shocked at uni by stuff like wearing casual clothes to lectures and calling their professors by their actual names.

I would say college every time, had best time of my life

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
tbh sixthform is better in the long term, if you want to go to a good university and get good a level grades, i advise you go to sixthform, if youre one of the lazy students who just wants freedom but also wants to go to uni, then choose college, but most colleges only let you do 3 a levels whereas sixthforms persuade you to do 4 as levels, which is better
I go to a sixth form college and quite honestly it's more a like to a university than anything else. There is more or less complete freedom, there is no commitment to be there apart from in lessons, we are on first name terms with our teachers who are really helpful and approachable and are there to teach us rather than act as crowd control. Plus there is only sixth formers on site so it is generally speaking a really relaxed sociable atmosphere. We are also in complete control of our own study, if you don't want to work hard or do homework then you don't have to, it is up to us to chose to study hard for our grades. Personally, it works perfectly for me but if you know that you won't do any work without being prompted then it's probably not suited.
Join the sixth form college crew

Quick Reply

Latest