The Student Room Group

Small men - how much are you discriminated against?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Es0phagus
A girl once made a joke, I think on twitter:

"What do you call a guy under 6ft...?"

"Friend"

:/ right in the feels.

The follow - "Thank you for ruining my life"

lol
(edited 8 years ago)
5'11 manlet calling in. Walk around my sixth form and everyone is at least 6'1.
I can't reach books on the top shelves at the library

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehforum

The follow by the hambeast - "Thank you for ruining my life"

lol

I love that so much.
Reply 24
Original post by tehforum
CHECKING IN

What?

I think you'll find calling in is a legitimate phrase and makes sense given the circumstance.
5'9" here. So not short short, but compared to my 6'2"+ friends I'm tiny. Being shorter has pros and cons

Pros
Leg room EVERYWHERE
Head room EVERYWHERE
Never expected to give piggybacks, always get piggybacks
Never piss people off at concerts
Not easily corrupted by the Ring of Power.

Cons
Shorter than girls in heels. Which is probably the strongest trigger for short man syndrome in my case.
You're automatically awful at basketball.
Can never be President.
General mockery.
Height seen as more attractive.
Always asked to take things to Mordor.
Original post by St. Brynjar
5'9" here. So not short short, but compared to my 6'2"+ friends I'm tiny. Being shorter has pros and cons

Pros
Leg room EVERYWHERE
Head room EVERYWHERE
Never expected to give piggybacks, always get piggybacks
Never piss people off at concerts
Not easily corrupted by the Ring of Power.

Cons
Shorter than girls in heels. Which is probably the strongest trigger for short man syndrome in my case.
You're automatically awful at basketball.
Can never be President.
General mockery.
Height seen as more attractive.
Always asked to take things to Mordor.

Fuarkk :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by picklescamp
small man syndrome is real sadly :yep:
agree with below. Look life is unfair deal with it. But makes yeh wonder why not finding fat girls attractive is less okay than not finding short guys attractive.
I think people treat shorter men differently than how they treat taller in general much like theyd treat races differently as we see but look thats life.
Original post by zippity.doodah
it's "real" because you view all short men to have it based on the media's/culture's representation of short men- and then, perhaps when you treat them as if they do have it, they react accordingly...it's quite easy to explain when you think about it. I mean, you're already writing short men off as all having this "syndrome" and then when they would otherwise be completely normal people, you're giving them a reason to actually have this made up syndrome - this is the reason short man syndrome is ever perceived - because it was created before any short man even had it, and people force them to have it based on how they treat them, at least some of the time when people like you are present - I mean, if you're telling me "short man syndrome is real", then obviously short men are going to have to act differently to impress you, aren't they? -_- you've already created that hostile and extremely judgemental atmosphere which conditions men to act in this way that you assume to be of their nature.
agreed. honestly fellow hobbit its grand. sure people have these ideas about things..but at least its easier to figure out whos better to hang out with.

Original post by ChickenMadness
small men are so cute and funny =) I like to pat them on the head.

bahaha dick as always. il bite your hand off
TBH with you , I'm 6ft 1 and I have many friend who are smaller than me
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Agreed. They seem to have a small chip on their shoulder and can have a short fuse in temper. But you're right, we shouldn't be-little them m8, we should empathise. I wouldn't wanna stoop so low, I worry about the imp-act it may have :indiff:

Spoiler

:rofl:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
agree with below. Look life is unfair deal with it. But makes yeh wonder why not finding fat girls attractive is less okay than not finding short guys attractive.
I think people treat shorter men differently than how they treat taller in general much like theyd treat races differently as we see but look thats life.
agreed.

People don't have to be attracted to anyone ffs buddy we've been through this :wink: I accept people for who they are. I have a lot of short male friends. I don't discriminate. Personally though I am less attracted to smaller men, as I am of course entitled to be.
But this is more like saying (let's use the fat thing again)
'some Fat people are jolly'
there's some truth in that. There's a psychological reason behind it too. Not everyone is of course but it has an element of reality.
Now if we go
'some short men are angered easily and are defensive' (short man syndrome)
this also has an element of truth and indeed a psychological explanation. Doesn't mean every short man is. Doesn't mean I'll look down (excuse the pun- I'm very tall :tongue:) on them. But short man syndrome has an element of truth.

Spoiler

People don't have to be attracted to anyone ffs buddy we've been through this :wink: I accept people for who they are. I have a lot of short male friends. I don't discriminate. Personally though I am less attracted to smaller men, as I am of course entitled to be.
there's some truth in that. There's a psychological reason behind it too. Not everyone is of course but it has an element of reality.
Now if we go
this also has an element of truth and indeed a psychological explanation. Doesn't mean every short man is. Doesn't mean I'll look down (excuse the pun- I'm very tall :tongue:) on them. But short man syndrome has an element of truth.

Spoiler

If you go with something ridiculous like that then there must also be a tall man syndrome. "some tall men are angered easily and rather defensive" (tall man syndrome). I could easily make up some correlationally sound, but overall far-fetched psychological explanation for such.

It's just a confirmation bias, as you were told on the last page of this thread. I bet because I, a 5'5 male, is responded to your comment with disagreement that this in turn affirms your pre-conviction that you are right about short man syndrome. Self confirming bias.
Now if we go

Spoiler

apologies phrased it wrong. I mean its okay to say "I want a taller man more than I want a thin woman" weight can be changed height cant yet. like a girl I know she says she wants a tall man...grand.but when I said I wouldnt date a fat woman she gets upset.

read other peoples posts. logically your stereotype is flawed. by having this stereotype of angry little people p its hardly gonna make them happy. but Its funny if nothing else.some people xD
I think you may have a point that short men sometimes need to prove themselves more...and are questioned more but your stereotype still remains illogical. lets agree to disagree little giant.
sounds horrible
Original post by zippity.doodah
5'6 here
I think people judge me initially not based on my height itself, but based on the reputation that the height has in our society - in media/popular culture. negativity is attached to short men. short men are seen to be villains in a lot of movies. short men are seen to be insecure. short men are seen to have a chip on their shoulder, even when they don't. therefore, I feel sometimes as if it's my job to prove that stereotype wrong, but at the same time, it's paradoxical because I'm securely insecure about not being insecure - which will cause some to maybe think I have the mythological "short man syndrome". short man syndrome is the same as "big nose syndrome", or "narrow eye syndrome", whereby people have to improve themselves based on their noses/eyes - I see no reason at all why height has to be unique in that department. I think short men probably get discriminated against more than women, racial minorities, religious minorities etc based on their popular portrayals of these people who are aggressive and snippy (e.g. think joe peshi) - it's probably going to be the last form of acceptable/socially tolerated discriminated - after all, if a woman spoke publicly against short men, nobody would care, compared to a man talking down about fat women.

but in terms of my height regardless of this, I think people mostly see me as more childish or immature based on it, when I am, at least to strangers and people who I don't know extremely well, very mature in my outward mannerisms. women who are taller than me might automatically see me as ugly, no matter how attractive I might be in every other department (although fortunately that's not always been the case, not always, but not never). other men might see me as more of a unique specimen because usually, where I live, men are tall, so it might make them think about height and how strange it is to see somebody who is outside the norm

Never heard of big nose syndrome or narrow eye syndrome. I think some people look great with big noses and narrow eyes. But i've said this before some of my mates with big noses get the most girls. I'm not sure how this works. But i never hear someone say that 5ft guy gets so many girls?.
Reply 35
Original post by mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Small men are adorable :love:

Hows about me and you get dinner sometime? x:colondollar:
Reply 36
A girl I liked once told me ''I really like you, fancy you even but stand up' I stand up 'I could never go with you'' In front of my friends and classmates (this is back when i was at school). That stung a little bit.
(edited 8 years ago)
What are we considering short? because I'm 5'9 and never considered myself short at all, but now (with threads like this) I'm worried, so am i a small man or not?
Reply 38
6'2 master race checking in.

I love it when manlets moan about their height, it's funny.

I feel like patting them on their head and pushing them about.

You would of course want to be tall as a guy but at the same time there is a tall mans burden.
Original post by slade p
6'2 master race checking in.

I love it when manlets moan about their height, it's funny.

I feel like patting them on their head and pushing them about.

You would of course want to be tall as a guy but at the same time there is a tall mans burden.

haha @ pushing them about brah

Quick Reply

Latest