The Student Room Group

How to pay back overpayment?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snowman77
Oh and I forgot - if OP is unemployed, she's claiming job seekers allowance I assume? That's a further £60/week. So it should be extremely easy to pay back £20.

Ner. JSA could go to somebody more in need of it than her. Apparently.

Because obviously JSA is on a first come first serve basis, where it will eventually run out. She is being so considerate sacrificing £60 a week for others.
How does your OH pay for car tax and car insurance? On street parking? A Phone contract? Possibly Broadband?

He's only saving 3 quid a week to cover all that?
Original post by TwinnyP
Ner. JSA could go to somebody more in need of it than her. Apparently.

Because obviously JSA is on a first come first serve basis, where it will eventually run out. She is being so considerate sacrificing £60 a week for others.
What the hell, I've never heard such rubbish. :lol:

Get on job seekers, OP. Why the **** aren't you on it already? It's £60 a week, which would make a big difference to your life. They also put you on the work programme after 9 months if you haven't found work.
Original post by snowman77
What the hell, I've never heard such rubbish. :lol:

Get on job seekers, OP. Why the **** aren't you on it already? It's £60 a week, which would make a big difference to your life. They also put you on the work programme after 9 months if you haven't found work.

Exactly. It's a benefit any unemployed person is entitled to, proving they are looking for work :lol:
What did you mean about parking in the city then?

Right, so again, he saves 3 quid a week, that is not going to mount up quickly enough for when his tax and insurance are due. Unless he rides a push bike.

What broadband provider are you with to get that kind of deal? Is it an introductory offer? :curious:

So is he topping up his PAYG with the spare 3 quid he is also using to cover tax and insurance?

How is he affording to buy clothes for himself or even presents for yourself / friends / family on occasions like birthdays etc. And I mean literally a birthday card here, not a massive £200 present, with the 3 quid?

Your making it sound like there is moths living in his wallet.
They do that to everybody though. That is absolutely not a reason to put more financial strain on your partner.
Reply 66
Yes, I've heard the same from others on here before. Young people who have never had to deal with the Job Centre for any reason before likely won't have any idea. I am not surprised you can't be arsed with the hassle of it if you and your partner are keeping your heads above water without it. However, you could sign on for a week and pay off that £22.50. Unless you have a debilitating mental health condition (which you quite possibly do have, I haven't seen you mention anything about it either way) whereby you really can't take the stress of dealing with them, I'd put up with the annoyance for as long as possible. Especially since you are applying for jobs anyway.
Reply 67
Original post by TwinnyP
They do that to everybody though. That is absolutely not a reason to put more financial strain on your partner.

That really is between her and her partner.
Tough, deal with it and stop acting like a baby. It's an extra £60 a week, which you quite clearly desperately need right now. For what it's worth, I've been on job seekers before and I've also felt like **** when I did it. But I still signed on every week, showed that I was looking for work and accepted the money. You seriously need to grow a thicker skin.

You're right, they don't help you get a job, but that's not what they're there for. If you don't find a job after 9 months, they put you on the work programme.
Original post by Ronove
That really is between her and her partner.

What are you talking about? :K: ???

But he's either under the thumb, or terrified of losing her if he's willing to put up with that.Your partner not being on JSA because the workers there are snobby?

C'mon now, lets not be silly here. She is entitled to the money, and it's making his life harder by her sitting at home not claiming it.
Reply 70
Original post by TwinnyP
What are you talking about? :K: ???

But he's either under the thumb, or terrified of losing her if he's willing to put up with that.Your partner not being on JSA because the workers there are snobby?

C'mon now, lets not be silly here. She is entitled to the money, and it's making his life harder by her sitting at home not claiming it.

If she dropped out because of mental health problems, or has had them since, it was probably a very good idea for her to choose not to deal with the people who work at the Job Centre on a regular basis. I'm just guessing here.

And the idea that a guy must be 'under the thumb' or terrified of losing his girlfriend as the only reasons for 'putting up with' this kind of thing is daft.
Nobody builds a life on the foundations you are building. It's financial suicide. You have an answer for everything, but each time it becomes less believable due to the sheer madness of your apparent approach to money. This 20 quid isn't even the tip of the iceburg.
Ask your boyfriend!

"I don't have any friends". Stop putting onions in our faces! :frown: You will have plenty of friends when you start your degree. :smile:
Holson, I still suggest you get on JSA - you're not really in a position to be avoiding any income opportunities, no matter how small they may seem. If you've applied for 430 jobs, you should at least be "paid" for doing that much... you need a new cv

Also look into remote working opportunities, there are loads out there.
Reply 74
Wow, 109 replies and this discussion is still going on. OP you have been given several answers on how to deal with the matter, its up to you to decide what to do :rolleyes::rolleyes:
What kind of work are you looking for at the moment?
The point of the work programme is it helps you find paid work. Which is what you need. You can't pay your way in life doing voluntary work.

You might be entitled to disability allowance then? Or just suck it up. It's really not that bad. For £60 a week, it's worth putting up with 5 or 10 minutes of strangers "looking down on you".
Reply 77
The website for repayments is for tuition fee, you need to call them up and set up a payment plan.
Reply 78
No-one is making you come back and post in the thread more. You're just opening yourself up to people making more comments and asking more questions. If it's bothering you, do what you said you're supposed to be doing and stop putting yourself in that situation.
I don't worry, but I would have trouble sleeping if I was in your shoes.

Original post by Ronove
If she dropped out because of mental health problems, or has had them since, it was probably a very good idea for her to choose not to deal with the people who work at the Job Centre on a regular basis. I'm just guessing here.

And the idea that a guy must be 'under the thumb' or terrified of losing his girlfriend as the only reasons for 'putting up with' this kind of thing is daft.

That is again absolute no excuse for not claiming a benefit you are entitled too. Have you been on JSA before? Yes the people there are absolute *****, they talk to you like ****, they patronise you, they tell you too work for free to "build experience". But guess what, most people don't have an option other than to put up with it, because they need the £60.

What? So if you and your partner were in financial ruin, and he could add almost £200 to your monthly budget too relieve some of the pressure, but he won't because people at the job centre are mean, you wouldn't be annoyed with him? :lol:

Why else is he happy to let her sit in the house on TSR earning nothing? Because without her, he probably has nothing else, and doesn't want to rock the boat by telling her to man up and go claim JSA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending