The Student Room Group

Help!

Just gone into year 11 so its the big, much talked about exam year. I need help with tips on how to revise well for every subject?! help me as i get very stressed very easily!!!
Original post by AnnaW7
Just gone into year 11 so its the big, much talked about exam year. I need help with tips on how to revise well for every subject?! help me as i get very stressed very easily!!!

Firstly don't panic. Stressing won't do any good for yourself. You will be fine as long as you work as hard as you can. Use revision timetables to plan revision ie if a Maths exam is closer than an English one than plan more Maths revision time. I didn't start revising until Easter and I got 9 A*s, 2 As and a B so there may be some people who start revising at Christmas but in my opinion I think that is a bit ridiculous. Take everything that is on offer at your school as they are huge benefits. Also revise in chunks and then take a decent break. Hope this advice helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by wannabedoctor21
Firstly don't panic. Stressing won't do any good for yourself. You will be fine as long as you work as hard as you can. Use revision timetables to plan revision ie if a Maths exam is closer than an English one than plan more Maths revision time. I didn't start revising until Easter and I got 9 A*s, 2 As and a B so there may be some people who start revising at Christmas but in my opinion I think that is a bit ridiculous. Take everything that is on offer at your school as they are huge benefits. Also revise in chunks and then take a decent break. Hope this advice helps :smile:

you give great adive thankyou so much this helped a lot! and also massive well done, you did amazingly!!!! :smile:
I always found it easy to revise in ways which I would enjoy, I used to create mind maps and add lots of colour to make key points stand out. My school recommended this website called positively mad and it was all about how to make an effective mind map and section everything off so it would be easy to come back to.
I also used to write key things I needed to remember down on cards and stick them up on my walls so I could read them whenever and it would help the information go in easier and quicker. This was really useful for the diagrams in science because I would constantly be looking at them and taking in information, sometimes without even realising.
Another thing I used to do was watch videos (you can find them on youtube and stuff) that summarised my subjects because for me, having someone else explain to me was easier and simplified it without me overthinking things.
Despite what your teachers say year 11 isn't anything to stress about! As long as you know you have put in all the effort you can, there really isn't anything to worry about. There might just be some subjects you just can't get your head around (mine was geography), but you just have to learn that this is totally fine! Hope this helped and good luck this year!:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Emily Hooson
I always found it easy to revise in ways which I would enjoy, I used to create mind maps and add lots of colour to make key points stand out. My school recommended this website called positively mad and it was all about how to make an effective mind map and section everything off so it would be easy to come back to.
I also used to write key things I needed to remember down on cards and stick them up on my walls so I could read them whenever and it would help the information go in easier and quicker. This was really useful for the diagrams in science because I would constantly be looking at them and taking in information, sometimes without even realising.
Another thing I used to do was watch videos (you can find them on youtube and stuff) that summarised my subjects because for me, having someone else explain to me was easier and simplified it without me overthinking things.
Despite what your teachers say year 11 isn't anything to stress about! As long as you know you have put in all the effort you can, there really isn't anything to worry about. There might just be some subjects you just can't get your head around (mine was geography), but you just have to learn that this is totally fine! Hope this helped and good luck this year!:smile:

Thankyou so much!!! This helped a lot! Id never considered youtube and i think that will work for me! this has made me feel a lot happier about it! thankyou x
I got 8A*s and 3As, and I'm not really that clever, it was mainly from hard work!! My main tips would be to use 8tracks for study playlists because revision can be very tedious! Also, if you're doing languages, use Quizlet and just make 10 or so flashcards a day on vocab and test yourself using the games - this helped me loads!! Also, don't be afraid of asking your teachers lots of questions, I did loads and probably annoyed a few of them but they're there to help so never go home not understanding something! If you're doing Geography or History, start revision early, probably just after Christmas as it takes a huge amount of pressure off when you come to do the actual exams! Also, try a mixture of methods - sticking big posters on your walls of things you find hard to remember, create loads of flashcards, mind maps (which work brilliantly!), write things out in coloured pens etc because this helps to get the information into your brain. I'd say past papers are easiest and most efficient for maths and science and will help an awful lot. Everyone says you should do them for every subject (I didn't!) so it is probably best to! Hope this helps, sorry for the rambling!
Reply 6
thankyou so much for all the advice this is so so helpful!!! I will use these tips :smile: also well done you did so well!!!!
Hey Anna (that's my name too haha)

Here are some study/revision tips for you:

1) Get a copy of the specification for each of your subjects and tick off each topic as you learn it - this is especially useful for science and maths where there are lots of different points and concepts to memorise.
2) Make revision notes as you go along in a format which you like, e.g. mind maps, flow charts, bullet points etc. I personally like to make my class notes into Word documents so that all my notes are in one place, and I don't need to stress myself out trying to find information spread across different books/folders. You don't need to actually start memorising the notes yet, but I find it helps to have revision notes prepared in advance, so when you properly begin revising you can focus on simply learning the content.
3) Take advantage of any subject workshops/after school revision sessions etc, and always ask for help if you need it - don't leave asking about a topic until you start revision, as your teachers will likely be busy helping other students too and may not have much time to help you.
4) If it helps you to stay focused, try making a revision timetable. I found it less stressful to simply allocate topics to days, instead of topics to specific times. For example, instead of having a timetable like 10am-11am do topic x, 11am-12pm do topic y, I allocated topics x and y to a day, so I could still keep on top of my revision without stressing about running out of time.
5) Take regular breaks when revising and give your brain a rest, but try not to make the breaks too long - you want to stay in the right frame of mind to revise!

I hope you find these tips helpful, I managed to achieve ABB at A Level using them, so they do work. Good luck! :smile:
- start revising early, and stick to it! you have only got yourself to blame if you dont try your hardest and fail.
- take breaks in your revision
- ask teachers to help you if youre stuck, and keep bugging them until you really do understand
- eat healthy and drink loads of water, it will help you have more energy and concentrate more
Reply 9
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hey Anna (that's my name too haha)

Here are some study/revision tips for you:

1) Get a copy of the specification for each of your subjects and tick off each topic as you learn it - this is especially useful for science and maths where there are lots of different points and concepts to memorise.
2) Make revision notes as you go along in a format which you like, e.g. mind maps, flow charts, bullet points etc. I personally like to make my class notes into Word documents so that all my notes are in one place, and I don't need to stress myself out trying to find information spread across different books/folders. You don't need to actually start memorising the notes yet, but I find it helps to have revision notes prepared in advance, so when you properly begin revising you can focus on simply learning the content.
3) Take advantage of any subject workshops/after school revision sessions etc, and always ask for help if you need it - don't leave asking about a topic until you start revision, as your teachers will likely be busy helping other students too and may not have much time to help you.
4) If it helps you to stay focused, try making a revision timetable. I found it less stressful to simply allocate topics to days, instead of topics to specific times. For example, instead of having a timetable like 10am-11am do topic x, 11am-12pm do topic y, I allocated topics x and y to a day, so I could still keep on top of my revision without stressing about running out of time.
5) Take regular breaks when revising and give your brain a rest, but try not to make the breaks too long - you want to stay in the right frame of mind to revise!

I hope you find these tips helpful, I managed to achieve ABB at A Level using them, so they do work. Good luck! :smile:

thankyou sooooo much! These tips are so helpful! Will definitely put them to good use 😊
Reply 10
Original post by Justmoll28
- start revising early, and stick to it! you have only got yourself to blame if you dont try your hardest and fail.
- take breaks in your revision
- ask teachers to help you if youre stuck, and keep bugging them until you really do understand
- eat healthy and drink loads of water, it will help you have more energy and concentrate more

thankyou!!!!! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest