The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Industrial Economics Question

Hello all,

I have a little bit of doubt about whether or not I would stand a chance over other applicants for Industrial Economics. I am Studying A Level Business (Predicted A*/A), BTEC ICT Level 3 Diploma (Predicted D*D*) and Hospitality (Predicted D/M). I'm just worried that because I didn't choose to do maths I would stand a much lower chance of admission to the course, although I have heard it's not as Maths intensive as Straight Economics. Maybe a very well written personal statement will help out?

Also just a little side question, would my career prospects after graduating from an Economics course suffer because of my lack of Maths A Level?

Any help/advice would be very appreciated, thanks for your time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Armin Entezar
Hello all,

I have a little bit of doubt about whether or not I would stand a chance over other applicants for Industrial Economics. I am Studying A Level Mathematics (Predicted A*/A), BTEC ICT Level 3 Diploma (Predicted D*D*) and Hospitality (Predicted D/M). I'm just worried that because I didn't choose to do maths I would stand a much lower chance of admission to the course, although I have heard it's not as Maths intensive as Straight Economics. Maybe a very well written personal statement will help out?

Also just a little side question, would my career prospects after graduating from an Economics course suffer because of my lack of Maths A Level?

Any help/advice would be very appreciated, thanks for your time.

Hi, what is the point you're actually trying to get across? It's all a bit jumbled up..
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Al_10
Hi, what is the point you're actually trying to get across? It's all a bit jumbled up..

Sorry if I caused a bit of confusion, i'll try to put them in bullet points to make it easier.

.Do I stand a chance, against other people who've applied to the Industrial Economics course, with the subjects I'm studying atm.

.Would a well written personal statement improve my situation?

(This is an extra question, not exactly relevant but it would be helpful to get an answer)
.Would my career prospects after graduating from the course be lower due to not having a Maths A Level?

I just dont want to waste one of my 5 choices if I won't stand a chance of getting in.
Again I would like to apologise for any confusion, English isn't my first language.
Reply 3
Sorry if I caused a bit of confusion, i'll try to put them in bullet points to make it easier.

.Do I stand a chance, against other people who've applied to the Industrial Economics course, with the subjects I'm studying atm.

.Would a well written personal statement improve my situation?

(This is an extra question, not exactly relevant but it would be helpful to get an answer)
.Would my career prospects after graduating from the course be lower due to not having a Maths A Level?

I just dont want to waste one of my 5 choices if I won't stand a chance of getting in.
Again I would like to apologise for any confusion, English isn't my first language.

I thought you said you were predicted A*/A in Maths A level?
Original post by yt7777
I thought you said you were predicted A*/A in Maths A level?

Sorry about that, error on my behalf. Just fixed it now. I meant to say Business.
Reply 5
Sorry about that, error on my behalf. Just fixed it now. I meant to say Business.

from using the UCAS search tool you could get into some decent universities

the 2 best i found where:

Exeter, Business Economics with Industrial Experience (4 years), (D*, Distinction, A, GCSE Maths(A))

and

Nottingham, Industrial Economics (Distinction, Distinction, B, GCSE Maths(B))

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm not sure about Btecs but A Level maths isnt essential for industrial economics.
Original post by yt7777
from using the UCAS search tool you could get into some decent universities

the 2 best i found where:

Exeter, Business Economics with Industrial Experience (4 years), (D*, Distinction, A, GCSE Maths(A))

and

Nottingham, Industrial Economics (Distinction, Distinction, B, GCSE Maths(B))

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you very much for this, the entry requirements seem very easy to achieve. I should really start using the UCAS Search tool myself!

I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering.
1) Out of those two Uni's which is the most competitive?
2) Is there a website where I can see how many people applied to Industrial Economics in Nottingham or Exeter?

Original post by Al_10
I'm not sure about Btecs but A Level maths isnt essential for industrial economics.

Yes that is true but what I'm concerned about is if the people who chose A Level Maths are at an advantage compared to someone with my A level choices?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you very much for this, the entry requirements seem very easy to achieve. I should really start using the UCAS Search tool myself!

I just have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering.
1) Out of those two Uni's which is the most competitive?
2) Is there a website where I can see how many people applied to Industrial Economics in Nottingham or Exeter?

Yes that is true but what I'm concerned about is if the people who chose A Level Maths are at an advantage compared to someone with my A level choices?

As long as your predicted grades meet the requirements, then you'll get an offer. As for after, people may have an edge over you but you can make up for it through hard work!
Reply 9
Hey Armin,

I'd advise you to apply for industrial economics at the University of Nottingham. Last year I applied for Economics at UoN and I was studying an Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in which I achieved DDD in and also got a B in GCSE maths, the uni declined me for Economics but actually gave me an alternative offer for Industrial Economics which I have taken up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello Sahil,

Thank you very much for the reply. I have decided to choose industrial economics as one of my choices recently after more research and speaking with 2015 entrants. Your reply has helped me as well so thanks for taking your time to write it.
does anyone know if industrial economics requires a good knowledge of maths? I have an offer but have seen other posts that say you may struggle without A level maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending