The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Will making an open application weaken my chances of getting into Oxford? Also, I see that some have taken 5 or 6 As/A -levels. This just isn't possible at my school due to timetables and teachers with heavy work loads. Will I be at a disadvantage not doing so many A-levels? I've always thought that if I'm doing Maths then getting A*A* for Maths and Further Maths is way more valuable than getting As as well in History and Philosophy for example.
That is awful grammar sorry
Original post by rtlloyd98
Will making an open application weaken my chances of getting into Oxford?

Nope! It won't affect your chances (at least in theory).

Also, I see that some have taken 5 or 6 As/A -levels. This just isn't possible at my school due to timetables and teachers with heavy work loads. Will I be at a disadvantage not doing so many A-levels?

No, as long as you've got good grades and you look like you're going to get the standard offer, it's fine. You absolutely do not need 5 or 6 AS/A2s.

I've always thought that if I'm doing Maths then getting A*A* for Maths and Further Maths is way more valuable than getting As as well in History and Philosophy for example.

Yes, definitely.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Flannel98
Hi, I've considered studying history at Oxford. My AS results were good A in history, A in art, A in philosophy and as I am doing the English pre-U I only have a mock grade which is a distinction equivalent to an A. I'm happy with these results but could I possibly be setback by my GCSE results? 4A*s in history, RE, English lit and lang, 4 As and 2 Bs? I went to a comprehensive school for my GCSEs but I am now at a grammar school. Also, I have no idea which college to apply to? Which are the least competitive?

Your HAT will matter more than your GSCEs, your AS are good & assuming your predictions are good as well then you are competitive.

Pick a college that looks interesting to you (read the pros/cons on TSR to get a feel for things like formality, etc). There is no way to game the system by applying to a college that you think is less competitive- History reviews all applicants across the subject, and pooling means that if you apply to a college that is heavily oversubscribed that year you will be moved to another college (approx 30% every year are pooled).
Reply 2184
Original post by medleg
I do HL bio, chem and german and SL english philosophy and maths :smile: yeah! predicted 45 although that is ridiculous 😂 and medicine! how about you?

That's amazing!! I'm predicted 777777 as well, but my school doesn't provide TOK/EE predicted grades so it's just out of 42 atm. Medicine is definitely intense, but you have such a good shot with those grades!! I'm going for Experimental Psychology! Did my first draft PS and now just trying to refine it :-)
Predicted Leaving Cert: 4 A's and 2B1's
Course: Music
College: Whoever will accept me, but I love the look of Exeter
Original post by Classical21
Predicted Leaving Cert: 4 A's and 2B1's
Course: Music
College: Whoever will accept me, but I love the look of Exeter

Exeter is a nice college! The music tutor there is meant to be really good (she never taught me, so can't speak from experience) :yep:
Original post by KombatWombat
It's true that oxford don't mechanistically use UMS or AS grades...

(...and neither does Cambridge.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm want to study History and was wondering if you could tell me what you thought my chances were.

I got 10A*s, an A and a B at GCSE

At AS I got an A in English, a B in History (1 UMS off an A even after a remark so I'm considering resitting), a B in Computing (2 UMS off, awaiting the results of a remark) and a C in Government and Politics.

My teachers have predicted me A* (English), A* (History- I got straight As last year, completely messed up the exam) and A (Computing)

My extra curriculars include working at a museum as a tour guide and as part of a restoration team as well as writing history articles for my blog.

I understand that my AS results aren't great but with a good personal statement and HAT results do I stand a chance?

Thanks in advance.
I'm predicted A*A*A in maths, physics and further maths respectively (and i'm yet to receive my german prediction which is my 4th a-level). I want to apply to read Engineering Science at Oxford and my predictions meet the requirements of A*s in maths and physics, but I was wondering how much of a disadvantage that A in FM would be? (I wasn't predicted an A* because I only got 91.4% and the A* predictions tend to go to those with above 95).
Original post by JStimo
Hi, I'm want to study History and was wondering if you could tell me what you thought my chances were.

I got 10A*s, an A and a B at GCSE

At AS I got an A in English, a B in History (1 UMS off an A even after a remark so I'm considering resitting), a B in Computing (2 UMS off, awaiting the results of a remark) and a C in Government and Politics.

My teachers have predicted me A* (English), A* (History- I got straight As last year, completely messed up the exam) and A (Computing)

My extra curriculars include working at a museum as a tour guide and as part of a restoration team as well as writing history articles for my blog.

I understand that my AS results aren't great but with a good personal statement and HAT results do I stand a chance?

Thanks in advance.

A kid from my school (one of my best friends' brother) got rejected with the same GCSE grades and similar AS mainly due to his HAT score and not being very confident/ well argued at interview. Focus on the admissions stuff now bc really that is more important
Original post by tanyapotter
I'm predicted A*A*A in maths, physics and further maths respectively (and i'm yet to receive my german prediction which is my 4th a-level). I want to apply to read Engineering Science at Oxford and my predictions meet the requirements of A*s in maths and physics, but I was wondering how much of a disadvantage that A in FM would be? (I wasn't predicted an A* because I only got 91.4% and the A* predictions tend to go to those with above 95).

If you're predicted the standard offer and your AS grades are good enough to make them look realistic, you're fine. Obviously it still depends on how well you do in the PAT and at interview but an A*A*A prediction is absolutely fine. Further Maths isn't even compulsory for Engineering, a number of applicants won't even offer it so simply having it is good.
Original post by Plagioclase
If you're predicted the standard offer and your AS grades are good enough to make them look realistic, you're fine. Obviously it still depends on how well you do in the PAT and at interview but an A*A*A prediction is absolutely fine. Further Maths isn't even compulsory for Engineering, a number of applicants won't even offer it so simply having it is good.

Thanks! My AS grades were all 90%+ which should help. My teacher is considering predicting me an A* in german but it's so hard to come by so she might not. Hopefully a good PAT score will offset a prediction of A*A*AA; I'm sure there will be hundreds of applicants with higher predictions than that and I really need to stand out somehow.
Can anyone tell me if the MLAT plays a big role in the admissions process or is it less of an ultimate deciding factor than let's say the BMAT and PAT
Reply 2194
Anyone got some advice on a less traditional college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
(...and neither does Cambridge.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair point, I guess 'put much weight on' would've been better!

(Although to be very picky, isn't autopooling mechanistic?)
Original post by KombatWombat
Fair point, I guess 'put much weight on' would've been better!

(Although to be very picky, isn't autopooling mechanistic?)

The 93 cut-off is mechanistic yes. But any candidate with any UMS can be (and are) pooled. The 93 thing is just a failsafe.

Cambridge Admissions Tutors get quite uppity about how much misplaced emphasis TSR thinks is attached to UMS. In the same way that Oxford ATs are by TSRs fixation with A*s at GCSE

:wink:
Original post by GM16
Anyone got some advice on a less traditional college?

St Catz would normally be the obvious choice. Perhaps Somerville, St Anne's, St Hilda's, Wadham might be some others. But there's not much difference between those I've just mentioned and the rest.
Reply 2198
Original post by fluteflute
St Catz would normally be the obvious choice. Perhaps Somerville, St Anne's, St Hilda's, Wadham might be some others. But there's not much difference between those I've just mentioned and the rest.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
This page just makes me mote nervous about applying... Look at all of you clever cloggs!

Exactly my reaction XD

Latest

Trending

Trending