The Student Room Group

Waist to Height Ratio - Which is the most healthy ratio?

In case you haven't heard, the latest craze amongst medical practitioners is no longer having a Body Mass Index (BMI) under 25, nor are they even promoting a lower body fat percentage, per se.

Doctors now claim that the largest a man's waist should be (....and by waist I don't mean your trouser size. Natural waist is measured around the navel), is half of his height in inches. Eg. a 6'0" man is 72 inches tall. His natural waist, as measured around his navel should never exceed 36 inches. That is a Waist-to-Height-Ratio of .50 ( otherwise known as .50%).

However, I have read online that the absolute optimal Waist-to-Height-Ratio (WHtR) is a number anywhere from .43 to .50. The guys at the Adonis Effect Index website claim every male should aspire for a WHtR of .447. The website doesn't explain why they picked such a very specific and exact number like .447, as opposed to just saying .44 or .45. I don't know why they do this, unless perhaps, a WHtR of .447 correlates with 10% body fat. I don't know, however, I am curious if anybody has read any studies which possibly lists the ideal male WHtR for optimum health.

Various studies I have read found a BMI of 24 on a man is ideal for health. I read another study that found the optimal BMI that women are most attracted to on a man is 24.5. Generally speaking, women are most attracted, by nature, to men who are at optimum physical health, not necessarily their ideal aesthetic best when it comes to looks alone. For instance, most men don't show 6-pack abs till they get below 8-10% body fat. Yet consistently, the majority of women claim they prefer men who are at the 12% body fat range. Any competitive bodybuilder will tell you that they can't compete until they reach the 6% body fat. And male models must normally get below 8% body fat. Nevertheless, most women crave men at the 12% level, nothing less.

Coincidentally, numerous medical studies claim the average man is at his absolute optimum health when he is at 12% body fat.......See what I mean? Women's taste in men test the tide of time. Their natural instincts drive them to mate with the most healthy man available. If they have their pick of many men of equal class, personality, background, etc, they will always choose the most healthiest looking man.

With that said, what is the healthiest WHtR for a man?
(edited 8 years ago)
1:1 obviously. Lol.

Seriously, a little under .500 is good. something like .454 is good. I'm about a 30-31" waist, but I'm only 5ft 6, so that's right in the range.
Original post by jammy4041
1:1 obviously. Lol.

Seriously, a little under .500 is good. something like .454 is good. I'm about a 30-31" waist, but I'm only 5ft 6, so that's right in the range.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious, however, what makes you say something as specific as .454, as opposed to something simpler like .45 or .44? Does .454 correlate to another variable like a certain body fat percentage? Thanks.
Original post by Dodge-Slant-6
Thanks for the reply. I'm curious, however, what makes you say something as specific as .454, as opposed to something simpler like .45 or .44? Does .454 correlate to another variable like a certain body fat percentage? Thanks.

.454 is basically 30" waist on a person who is 5ft 6. and I would say it's more of a limit though. I definitely felt better when I had a maximum 29" waist (considering that I haven't grown in height) but it's not like I feel really bad.

Considering the national average height of about 5ft 7 (iirc), I think they have calculated it with a 30" waist to that height, which makes it a weird number.
.454 is basically 30" waist on a person who is 5ft 6. and I would say it's more of a limit though. I definitely felt better when I had a maximum 29" waist (considering that I haven't grown in height) but it's not like I feel really bad.

Considering the national average height of about 5ft 7 (iirc), I think they have calculated it with a 30" waist to that height, which makes it a weird number.

Oh, okay, thanks for the explanation. What would you estimate the optimum ratio would be for a 6 foot 1inch tall man, 21 years of age, with a medium to large frame? Thanks again!
Oh, okay, thanks for the explanation. What would you estimate the optimum ratio would be for a 6 foot 1inch tall man, 21 years of age, with a medium to large frame? Thanks again!

A 34 inch waist (.466) would be good, but even a 36 inch waist (.493) wouldn't exactly be bad.

different body types do make this ratio business tricker, so yeah, if the aim is to judge your progress by waist size, then keep in mind that it has to be done slowly, and in the right ways with good diet and stuff. But, it seems like you're pretty clued up on that stuff.
A 34 inch waist (.466) would be good, but even a 36 inch waist (.493) wouldn't exactly be bad.

different body types do make this ratio business tricker, so yeah, if the aim is to judge your progress by waist size, then keep in mind that it has to be done slowly, and in the right ways with good diet and stuff. But, it seems like you're pretty clued up on that stuff.

My aim is to broaden my shoulders so that my shoulder circumference measures 1.618x my waist size. Seeing as my current shoulder circumference is about 52.33 inches, I'm thinking I need to lessen my waist as much as I can. I'll pump up my deltoids as much as I can via weight training, but broadening back, shoulders and chest takes a lot of time and a lot of protein. I really don't want to have that jacked look like a weight lifter. I'd rather be lean and muscular, rather than muscular and lean, if you understand what I'm saying. That means I need to get my true waist down to about 32.33 inches. I don't know where that would put my chest size, but I'd guess about 42.33 inches. I would just like to get to about 10-12% body fat, which I think these measurements would correlate to.

Thanks again for the informative reply!
I just read on one online website a medical study out of America which says the perfect WHtR is .46

Funny, a couple weeks ago I read another such study in the New England Journal of Medicine which said they had evidence that a WHtR of .44 was the absolute best.

More conflicting information!
My aim is to broaden my shoulders so that my shoulder circumference measures 1.618x my waist size. Seeing as my current shoulder circumference is about 52.33 inches, I'm thinking I need to lessen my waist as much as I can. I'll pump up my deltoids as much as I can via weight training, but broadening back, shoulders and chest takes a lot of time and a lot of protein. I really don't want to have that jacked look like a weight lifter. I'd rather be lean and muscular, rather than muscular and lean, if you understand what I'm saying. That means I need to get my true waist down to about 32.33 inches. I don't know where that would put my chest size, but I'd guess about 42.33 inches. I would just like to get to about 10-12% body fat, which I think these measurements would correlate to.

Thanks again for the informative reply!

lol at 4 significant figure sizings
1.618x - he's going for dat golden ratio of teh godz
Original post by TooEasy123
1.618x - he's going for dat golden ratio of teh godz

You bet......It's a goal.
I've read that a 32" true waist (as measured around the navel, NOT where you wear trousers and jeans on top of hip bone), for a 6 foot man is about equal to 10% body fat. Does that sound about right?
I think a 32" waist at the navel, as you say, would be closer to about 8% body fat for a guy your size of 6 feet or 6'1. I think you'd be golden anywhere south of 34.5 or even 35 inches. You also have to remember that anybody can achieve single digit body fat percentage if they have the will to accomplish that feat, however, sustaining that low level for 12 months a year is next to impossible, especially the older you get. If I were you I'd shoot for 10-12% body fat, or even up to 15% if you're over 30. How old are you, Dodge? I can give you some concrete numbers to work with if you give me your age, current weight and frame size.
Regarding your first question, a WHtR of 44-50% is excellent, but anywhere from 44-46% is the most ideal for health and appearance. Endomorphs will naturally hover around the higher end of this range, whether they are in optimum fitness or not. Anything less is similar to an excessively low body fat percentage: it may look good, but it isn't healthy. At lower body fat percentage or at a low WHtR you'll be more susceptible to respiratory ailments, viruses, and just feel weak and tired all the time. Some fitness gurus claim a WHtR of .447% is the ultimate perfect figure that both your doctor and women will love the most on you, but I suppose that's debatable too.
For what it's worth I recently read that a waist to height ratio of 0.43 = 8% body fat, 0.44 = 10% body fat and 0.45 = 12% body fat. Sounds about right to me, and I am also 6'1.

Quick Reply

Latest