The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
another tough integral
any takers

Arent there two answers? Based of a few conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1421
Original post by physicsmaths
Arent there two answers? Based of a few conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have not typed the question yet... take x>0
Original post by TeeEm
tough trig proof....
any takers?

I went for Cos of both sides and have given up on the algebra. I end up with a square root of a square root. Is there light at the end of the tunnel or have I slipped up...?
Reply 1423
Original post by Gilo98
I went for Cos of both sides and have given up on the algebra. I end up with a square root of a square root. Is there light at the end of the tunnel or have I slipped up...?

there is
Original post by TeeEm
there is

i shall persevere...
Reply 1425
Original post by Gilo98
i shall persevere...

I have the solution if you give up.

Most of the questions that I made in the summer and the ones that I am currently writtng will go into my special papers so I do not post their solutions in this thread
Original post by TeeEm
I have the solution if you give up.

Most of the questions that I made in the summer and the ones that I am currently writtng will go into my special papers so I do not post their solutions in this thread

I wont give up just yet. I'm doing an M2 collisions question at the moment whose algebra is imo worse than that in the trig question.
someone please help, I'm losing the will to live I've been on it so long
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3582597
Reply 1428
Original post by Gilo98
someone please help, I'm losing the will to live I've been on it so long
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3582597

three pages of disgusting rubbish ....
Original post by TeeEm
three pages of disgusting rubbish ....

the solution is three pages of disgusting rubbish? It's annoying because they've tried to make a 'hard' question just by making a mess of the algebra.
Reply 1430
Original post by Gilo98
the solution is three pages of disgusting rubbish? It's annoying because they've tried to make a 'hard' question just by making a mess of the algebra.

Listen to this.

A lot of people criticize my work because my work often requires processing of messy algebra. A good mathematician must also have that skill. When everybody else falls over the long tough "assault course" known as "messy algebra" the mathematician is still standing. It takes somebody special to process a question with loads of letters, subscripts, superscripts etc, maintain the focus and concentration.
Original post by TeeEm
Listen to this.

A lot of people criticize my work because my work often requires processing of messy algebra. A good mathematician must also have that skill. When everybody else falls over the long tough "assault course" known as "messy algebra" the mathematician is still standing. It takes somebody special to process a question with loads of letters, subscripts, superscripts etc, maintain the focus and concentration.

I agree with this but to be honest sometimes some questions are made such hard that working on them can actually damage the concentration :redface:
Original post by TeeEm
Listen to this.

I see what you mean but at least in my experience of doing your questions, there is always an intuitive crux move in them that makes them worthwhile. This question just feels rather pointless in that it's just testing my patience rather than my ability to do a M2 Collisions question and it feels like the writers of the book have made it messy in an attempt to say that the questions in their textbook cater for the 'top end'. In my defence, I have been working away at it for a good 2hrs now, I just think I'll snap my calculator if I keep trying for much longer with no success :wink:
Reply 1433
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
I agree with this but to be honest sometimes some questions are made such hard that working on them can actually damage the concentration :redface:

I hope then you do not do a degree in Maths.
For some questions in applied maths it is not unusual having to process pages and pages of workings
Reply 1434
Original post by Gilo98
I see what you mean but at least in my experience of doing your questions, there is always an intuitive crux move in them that makes them worthwhile. This question just feels rather pointless in that it's just testing my patience rather than my ability to do a M2 Collisions question and it feels like the writers of the book have made it messy in an attempt to say that the questions in their textbook cater for the 'top end'. In my defence, I have been working away at it for a good 2hrs now, I just think I'll snap my calculator if I keep trying for much longer with no success :wink:

This question has the objective of staying focused.
You need to improve that aspect of your work boring as it might be.
Reply 1435
Original post by Gilo98

I once ate a saucer in frustration... it is all normal ...
Original post by TeeEm
I hope then you do not do a degree in Maths.
For some questions in applied maths it is not unusual having to process pages and pages of workings

Yeah, I'm quite aware of that. I would say that's true with science degrees also.
Original post by TeeEm
This question has the objective of staying focused.
You need to improve that aspect of your work boring as it might be.

Boring it will be....
You're of course right, I'll go again tomorrow. Plus, doing this question meant I put aside the trig one from earlier. Looks like tomorrow will be the day of arduous algebra.

Original post by TeeEm
I once ate a saucer in frustration... it is all normal ...

lol I'd love for this to be true so I wont question you further on it :biggrin:
Original post by TeeEm
Listen to this.

I agree, pages of algebra done correctly is a skill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm

Sorry to bother, was just wondering; how would you suggest I tackle A2 FM? I've almost finished M2 and just started FP2. (3rd module will be FP3)
I've realised a recent trend in the Edexcel exams whereby they are putting more questions that need you to apply knowledge, rather than do the same thing that you would do in every other past paper. So I need to make sure I understand the material..
I currently use the standard Edexcel books.
The goal is obviously A*..
-

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending