s=ut

u = 22
t = t
Original post by notnek
You've got the formula mixed up.

s=ut

u = 22
t = t

Okay so it's s/22=t But how can I find s or t with only one piece of information? (It's really strange that I cannot not even come close to answering this question since I just answer an harder question before this that also requires the use of a time graph it was worth up to 12 marks and this is only 3).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Jiffylemmon
Okay so it's 22/s=t But how can I find s or t with only one piece of information?

Sorry that's wrong.

s = ut.

You have said that u/s = t which is incorrect.

You should be finding the distance in terms of t. This means that you use 't' as the value for time.

s = ut

u = 22
t = t

So s = 22t.

The distance travelled is 22t. Does this make sense?
Reply 23
Okay so it's s/22=t But how can I find s or t with only one piece of information? (It's really strange that I cannot not even come close to answering this question since I just answer an harder question before this that also requires the use of a time graph it was worth up to 12 marks and this is only 3).

It's not strange at all. This 3 mark question was designed for someone who had already drawn a speed-time graph.
Original post by notnek
Sorry that's wrong.

s = ut.

You have said that u/s = t which is incorrect.

You should be finding the distance in terms of t. This means that you use 't' as the value for time.

s = ut

u = 22
t = t

So s = 22t.

The distance travelled is 22t. Does this make sense?
yes I'm sorry about that, i usually don't stay up this late doing homework. I was suppose to type it in the other way round my bad.
So now that I know 22t=s where should I go?
Original post by notnek
It's not strange at all. This 3 mark question was designed for someone who had already drawn a speed-time graph.

But the other one also was designed for someone who had already drawn an time graph
Reply 26
yes I'm sorry about that, i usually don't stay up this late doing homework. I was suppose to type it in the other way round my bad.
So now that I know 22t=s where should I go?

Next find the distance for the third region.

The time for this section is 120 - t - 30. Does this make sense?

So you have:

u = 22
v = 0
t = 90 - t

Can you find s?
Reply 27
But the other one also was designed for someone who had already drawn an time graph

So for that one you were just lucky that another method could be used that was simple.
Reply 28
Original post by notnek
So for that one you were just lucky that another method could be used that was simple.

I got 75 seconds, is that right?
Original post by notnek
Next find the distance for the third region.

The time for this section is 120 - t - 30. Does this make sense?

So you have:

u = 22
v = 0
t = 90 - t

Can you find s?

S=(22+0/2)x90-t? So s=45?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
S=(22+0/2)x90-t?

I think I have the right answer, if you want I can post a full solution with explanations for each line of working.
Reply 31
S=(22+0/2)x90-t?

Yes and that can be simplified.

Finally add up all the distances and set the sum equal to 2145 since this is the total distance.

Then solve to find t.
Reply 32
Original post by notnek

Finally add up all the distances and set the sum equal to 2145 since this is the total distance.

Then solve to find t.

For the record, I like what you're doing. You're not just telling him the answer, you're giving him hints :P
Reply 33
Original post by jacobe
I think I have the right answer, if you want I can post a full solution with explanations for each line of working.

Please don't do that. You can see how hard that Jiffylemmon has worked in this thread so let them finish it.

Plus it's against the rules to post full solutions.
Original post by notnek

Then solve to find t.

Is s 45?
Reply 35
Original post by notnek
Please don't do that. You can see how hard that Jiffylemmon has worked in this thread so let them finish it.

Plus it's against the rules to post full solutions.

Ok. I think you're making it way too complicated though.
Reply 36
Original post by jacobe
Ok. I think you're making it way too complicated though.

Ok, please give your method. I considered the speed-time graph in my head and developed a method from there. I'm sure there are other (maybe better) ways to do it.
Original post by jacobe

Thanks for the offer but notnek has been helping me out so much(big thanks!) it would be a waste to see the soloution when I'm this close.
Erm I'm guessing s=45 isn't right?
Reply 39
Is s 45?

Which s? The final goal of the question is to find t, not s.

Post your working.

Quick Reply

Latest