The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MylittlePlusle
I feel sorry for any partners you have or may have....

Why? Surely you would trust your partner enough to be confident in his/her commitment to you. If you can't even trust each other to compliment other people without feeling insecure and jealous, then perhaps you shouldn't be dating each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by amylouisenic
I've had the exact same thing on LinkedIn, and when I ignored the first message he just kept sending more.

At this point you should have blocked him and reported him to the site Admins. Did you do it?

Even just this morning at work, I was concentrating on reading some report on my laptop and a male colleague came over and said "ooh you look like you're thinking hard... Is it the red skirt or the orange skirt? Or maybe some shoes? Or even chocolate?"

I fail to see how this is sexist. I would admit it would become harrassment if he had continued like the guy on Linkedln, but did your colleague continue? If he did, you should have complained, but if he didn't I fail to see anything malicious in what he said.

And this was THIS morning and I work in an engineering environment. Sexism in the work place is common and I think this woman has just got fed up of being judged by her appearance.

I agree that it was very inappropriate, but was there really any need to make such a meal out of it?

I get treated like crap by some lecturers at University... possibly because I'm male, possibly because I'm French... but I just ignore it really.
I'm quite sure that's cheating.

No, that isn't cheating.
Original post by Mr JB
By what metric are you measuring or trying to quantify intelligence here? I know a lot of people in corporate jobs who think they're intelligent but in fact they're borderline moronic to the extent that I honestly don't know how they actually cope in the real world without someone looking after them.

Yes it is. I used to work in a female dominated profession and the women would constantly bitch about men and make horrible off the cuff comments. Also, I've been in unisex hairdressers full of women where they're doing the same, making inappropriate comments and commenting on my appearance etc. - usually older women but still. At the end of the day, people just need to get over themselves - those comments in work and the hairdressers never ruined my life and I just got on with things.

Yep. She's quite obviously brought the profession into disrepute. Even if she found his comments to be unprofessional, she should have went through the appropriate channels, reported the matter and had it dealt with in house. Instead, she's contributed to the creation of a media **** storm and she should not be free from the fallout of it all.

Both acted unprofessionally yet this thread is full of people, albeit about 2 or 3, who have not acknowledged this. It just tells you where societal bias lies these days.

Commenting on someone's appearance and hitting on them to their face in a proffessional environment are two completely different things.
QUOTE=Salon;59264891]My partner loves me. We both complement others and they love it.

Ha ha[ QUOTE]

She said unsolicited ... therefore your partner, or any partner you have in the future, has nothing to do with it.
Reply 85
Original post by redferry
Commenting on someone's appearance and hitting on them to their face in a proffessional environment are two completely different things.

Both have happened to me as well as other male colleagues. You're acting as if women don't do it to men as well. Both sexes are as bad as one another, and both people involved in this particular incident need to grow up as they're both being incredibly unprofessional.
I've never really been in a romantic relationship but I don't believe it's okay to say nice things about other people's bodies and/or faces if you're someone's romantic partner.

I don't think there is any harm in complimenting somebody, especially when you're in a committed relationship.

If somebody thought that it's wrong to compliment others, when you're in a relationship then it just shows that the person has insecurities.

Saying something positive to another person could brighten their day.
Original post by VotreAltesse
At this point you should have blocked him and reported him to the site Admins. Did you do it?

I fail to see how this is sexist. I would admit it would become harrassment if he had continued like the guy on Linkedln, but did your colleague continue? If he did, you should have complained, but if he didn't I fail to see anything malicious in what he said.

I agree that it was very inappropriate, but was there really any need to make such a meal out of it?

I get treated like crap by some lecturers at University... possibly because I'm male, possibly because I'm French... but I just ignore it really.

Lol thanks for telling me how to handle that situation, I had no idea. Of course I did.

You fail to see how it is sexist? The man assumed that the only thing that could have my attention, despite being at work, was items of clothing or chocolate-because I'm a woman. He wouldn't have said that if I was a man, would he? No.
I fail to see how I've made "a meal out of it" since I ignored the colleague and carried on. I only repeated it on here so as to highlight the fact of how common sexism in the workplace is.
QUOTE=Viva Emptiness;59251415]I can understand annoyance at unsolicited comments on your personal appearance in the work place, but a quick low key PM should have been sufficient, not....this.[ QUOTE]

This.

I too understand how unprofessional his comments were, but a national outrage?? Please!
QUOTE=amylouisenic;59265297]Lol thanks for telling me how to handle that situation, I had no idea. Of course I did.

You fail to see how it is sexist? The man assumed that the only thing that could have my attention, despite being at work, was items of clothing or chocolate-because I'm a woman. He wouldn't have said that if I was a man, would he? No.
I fail to see how I've made "a meal out of it" since I ignored the colleague and carried on. I only repeated it on here so as to highlight the fact of how common sexism in the workplace is.[ QUOTE]

I was speaking about Charlotte Proudman making a meal out of it. I understand her discontent, but making this a national outrage is, well, outrageous.

Don't get lippy with me please, I made no attack on you.

You're assuming the worse though... which is what most overly-sensitive people tend to do.

Do you know this guy personally? Are you friends? Is it in his character to tease?

Otherwise you've made a complaint and I'm sure he has been dealt with...
QUOTE=amylouisenic;59265297]Lol thanks for telling me how to handle that situation, I had no idea. Of course I did.

I fail to see how I've made "a meal out of it" since I ignored the colleague and carried on. I only repeated it on here so as to highlight the fact of how common sexism in the workplace is.[ QUOTE]

I was speaking about Charlotte Proudman making a meal out of it. I understand her discontent, but making this a national outrage is, well, outrageous.

Don't get lippy with me please, I made no attack on you.

You're assuming the worse though... which is what most overly-sensitive people tend to do.

Do you know this guy personally? Are you friends? Is it in his character to tease?

Otherwise you've made a complaint and I'm sure he has been dealt with...

Yes I agree it has been blown out of proportion.

That was not being "lippy"...and I'm the over sensitive one...

No. I assume the obvious which is what the past 4 years of working and studying in a male dominated environment does to you. E.g. In my final year I got the highest mark on our course for a paper, and I had guys saying to me "well you must've stuck your picture on the front of it"

I am automatically defensive because I have been judged by my appearance and gender for quite a few years now.

We're not friends no, only met him last week.
Original post by MetalAlchemist
I was watching the news today, and I looked into this "Sexism Row" discussion.

A female lawyer accused a male lawyer for being sexist, because he gave her a compliment. He said that her picture is "stunning" and was highly offended by this comment.

Now, she has made it a big deal to the point where it's on National TV and she is still trying justify herself on why the comment is sexist.

The male lawyer is also being shamed on television, because of it!!!!

I think it's a ridiculous accusation.

What do you think about this?

its a typical example of women shamming men. She's being a bitch
Yes I agree it has been blown out of proportion.

That was not being "lippy"...and I'm the over sensitive one...

No. I assume the obvious which is what the past 4 years of working and studying in a male dominated environment does to you. E.g. In my final year I got the highest mark on our course for a paper, and I had guys saying to me "well you must've stuck your picture on the front of it"

I am automatically defensive because I have been judged by my appearance and gender for quite a few years now.

We're not friends no, only met him last week.

OK, so if you think the Proundman row is an overreaction... don't you think you're slightly overreacting to comments directed towards you? Wouldn't it be easier to just complain and cope? (By complain I mean keeping it private without resorting to twitter and social media).

I reckon those guys who commented on your grade were just teasing you, but it all comes down to how you feel about it I guess.
OK, so if you think the Proundman row is an overreaction... don't you think you're slightly overreacting to comments directed towards you? Wouldn't it be easier to just complain and cope? (By complain I mean keeping it private without resorting to twitter and social media).

I reckon those guys who commented on your grade were just teasing you, but it all comes down to how you feel about it I guess.

I haven't overreacted at all. I didn't even react, I just ignored him as I said previously as I am used to stupid comments like that. Neither did I resort to Twitter/social media to air it out. The only people who know of the incident are the people in this thread, and I only shared it to make a point.

And they weren't, I studied with them for 3 years.
I haven't overreacted at all. I didn't even react, I just ignored him as I said previously as I am used to stupid comments like that. Neither did I resort to Twitter/social media to air it out. The only people who know of the incident are the people in this thread, and I only shared it to make a point.

And they weren't, I studied with them for 3 years.

How do you know they weren't teasing? ... oh yeah, assumptions. Assumptions =/= facts.

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't make a meal out of it.
this isnt even the story - a 50 year old lawyer sent a phd student a message on her linkdn profile (which is used for work/professional things) telling her she was "stunning" and it was "best linkdn profile" he had seen
also worth noticing he wrote in the message it wasnt correct behaviour and did it anyway
I stalked her linkedin.

Her PhD is in sociology.

Who would have guessed?
Reply 97
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I stalked her linkedin.

Her PhD is in sociology.

Who would have guessed?

It could have been in Gender Studies. :biggrin:
It's inappropriate for sure and the man is an idiot for making the remark however, to say that he was being sexist is idiotic. It's one thing to say that a woman is attractive and they're looking forward to working with her and another thing to say that she only got her position because of her looks. She overreacted completely and was quick to throw the sexism card just so she can create a scandal about the same thing: sexism in the work place, female professional aren't taken seriously, etc etc.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending