A thought on immigrants' countries own immigration

Watch
VergeofInsanity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Take say Poland for example and the argument from them for their entry into England is 'for a better life'. We are told they make a 'net contribution'.

So my question is if that is the case with immigrants who are seeking a better life then why are these countries (Poland) etc not importing 400,000 people (net) from say Ethiopia YEAR on YEAR? Or never mind Ethiopia .. how about a poorer and more local country like Macedonia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova etc. I mean they are likely to make a positive net contribution also because they will work like dirt to make a living so why do we not see a country like Poland, a country who features in the world's top 25 for GDP, importing hundreds of thousands of immigrants year on year? I'm not talking about small levels of immigrations but taking all the people from the local european countries I mentioned or even Africans?

What are these countries (Poland) etc doing for others using their argument? That argument being that they go to somewhere for a better life etc etc.

Because at the end of the day the life of a Moldovan will be better for him in Poland than it is in Moldova.
Jimmy_M
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by VergeofInsanity)
Take say Poland for example and the argument from them for their entry into England is 'for a better life'. We are told they make a 'net contribution'.

So my question is if that is the case with immigrants who are seeking a better life then why are these countries (Poland) etc not importing 400,000 people (net) from say Ethiopia YEAR on YEAR? Or never mind Ethiopia .. how about a poorer and more local country like Macedonia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova etc. I mean they are likely to make a positive net contribution also because they will work like dirt to make a living so why do we not see a country like Poland, a country who features in the world's top 25 for GDP, importing hundreds of thousands of immigrants year on year? I'm not talking about small levels of immigrations but taking all the peoplefrom thelocal european countries I mentioned or even Africans?

What are these countries (Poland) etc doing for others using their argument? That argument being that they go to somewhere for a better life etc etc
Going for a better life doesn't mean entirely job based. The UK provides a lot of benefits for just living here, getting money if you're on a low/no income and even help getting a house and/or job.. I guess countries like Poland don't have this, so people look on the UK more favorably..
VergeofInsanity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jimmy_M)
Going for a better life doesn't mean entirely job based. The UK provides a lot of benefits for just living here, getting money if you're on a low/no income and even help getting a house and/or job.. I guess countries like Poland don't have this, so people look on the UK more favorably..
So by that logic ... everybody is right to criticise immigrants and Polish immigrants?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Immigrants don't simply want a better life, they want the best life possible. EU freedom of movement and German guilt mean that the immigrants don't have to choose between Spain, Italy, Malta and Greece but rather that they can instead go anywhere in the EU they like.
VergeofInsanity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Immigrants don't simply want a better life, they want the best life possible. EU freedom of movement and German guilt mean that the immigrants don't have to choose between Spain, Italy, Malta and Greece but rather that they can instead go anywhere in the EU they like.
But I wonder what the attitude of Polish people would be if 400,000 Moldovans/Macdonians were to move in every year.
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
But I wonder what the attitude of Polish people would be if 400,000 Moldovans/Macdonians were to move in every year.
They'd be chill because EU countries tend to be quite welcoming to immigration, it's just UK trying to be all prestige
VergeofInsanity
Rep:
?
(Original post by RonnieRJ)
They'd be chill because EU countries tend to be quite welcoming to immigration, it's just UK trying to be all prestige
I don't believe that for one minute.

Also, welcoming? Says who? You think France are welcoming immigrants with all their recent terrorism and migrant problems? I think you'll find growing resentment in many EU countries.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably similar to ours however they have the fortune of being poorer on a continent with free movement.
VergeofInsanity
Rep:
?
Probably similar to ours however they have the fortune of being poorer on a continent with free movement.
Exactly. And that's why they should be more understanding of the criticism they face.
Dark Elixir
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Also, welcoming? Says who? You think France are welcoming immigrants with all their recent terrorism and migrant problems? I think you'll find growing resentment in many EU countries.
And rightly so, I'm sick of it :unimpressed:
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

So my question is if that is the case with immigrants who are seeking a better life then why are these countries (Poland) etc not importing 400,000 people (net) from say Ethiopia YEAR on YEAR? Or never mind Ethiopia .. how about a poorer and more local country like Macedonia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova etc. I mean they are likely to make a positive net contribution also because they will work like dirt to make a living so why do we not see a country like Poland, a country who features in the world's top 25 for GDP, importing hundreds of thousands of immigrants year on year? I'm not talking about small levels of immigrations but taking all the people from the local european countries I mentioned or even Africans?

What are these countries (Poland) etc doing for others using their argument? That argument being that they go to somewhere for a better life etc etc.

Because at the end of the day the life of a Moldovan will be better for him in Poland than it is in Moldova.

Parents country is Pakistan
Many Afghans went there after the war
They went to seek refuge
They also went to seek a better life
I have no issues with this.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exactly. And that's why they should be more understanding of the criticism they face.
And what if they aren't? What then? What exactly are you trying to prove? Every country has it's liberals and every country has it's conservatives.
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago

Well you asked a question yet refuse to accept any other answer than the one wired into your brain.
And not everyone in France is going to be against immigration. Shall we say, Eastern European countries tend to be welcoming
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Doesn't everyone? It's a part of human nature to seek out the best for themselves and their families/friends.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mactotaur)
Doesn't everyone? It's a part of human nature to seek out the best for themselves and their families/friends.
Of course.

In the case of the third world though that doesnt mean that countries like the UK should be soft touches though.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Of course.

In the case of the third world though that doesnt mean that countries like the UK should be soft touches though.
No, but we should help people if we can. We're all human, and the idea of nationalities is a bit absurd anyway.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, but we should help people if we can. We're all human, and the idea of nationalities is a bit absurd anyway.
Nationalities make perfect sense in a world with differing cultural values.

The UK does not need to. Turkey will accept just about everybody.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nationalities make perfect sense in a world with differing cultural values.

The UK does not need to. Turkey will accept just about everybody.
Why do we not need to help people? What have they done to deserve death?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do we not need to help people? What have they done to deserve death?
Why will they die if they don't come here? There are many safe countries for them.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why will they die if they don't come here? There are many safe countries for them.
Like I said, if you'd lost everything, wouldn't you seek out the place which will give you the most?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads