The Student Room Group

I have no sex drive, is this normal?

I have sexual fantasies, I masturbate, I enjoy sex when I have it. But I don't have any particular desire to actually have sex.

I've never thought of myself as asexual but I really couldn't care less whether I have sex or not. Like I prefer to watch netflix than have sex. I can go months, years without sex, I don't notice, don't care. I have no sex drive whatsoever!

is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Treeroy
I have sexual fantasies, I masturbate, I enjoy sex when I have it. But I don't have any particular desire to actually have sex.

I've never thought of myself as asexual but I really couldn't care less whether I have sex or not. Like I prefer to watch netflix than have sex. I can go months, years without sex, I don't notice, don't care. I have no sex drive whatsoever!

is this normal?

I'd say its relatively common. Standard advice seems to be to masturbate less.. assuming you consider it a problem in the first place? Otherwise; don't worry.
i think youre asexual, have you tried the AVEN forums?
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
I'd say its relatively common. Standard advice seems to be to masturbate less.. assuming you consider it a problem in the first place? Otherwise; don't worry.

no I don't think it's a problem, I was just wondering if it's normal.

and masturbating is just a little pleasure I can have at night, without the effort of going out and spending actual time with people. I really couldn't care less about having sex, just wondering if anyone else feels like that.
Sex isn't the be all and end all.

Some people just don't need to have it as often, even if they don't consider themselves asexual.
Original post by Treeroy

is this normal?

As said above, have you had a look at AVEN? - http://www.asexuality.org/home/
You might be asexual, or perhaps grey area asexual or demisexual. :smile:
Reply 6
I will have a look at that site, but I don't get how I could be asexual when I find men hot.
You're transsexual aren't you?
Reply 8
It doesn't sound like you're asexual, you could be demisexual but that's more to do with emotional connections rather than just sex drive. You seem really similar to me so I think it's pretty normal :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by 1338
It doesn't sound like you're asexual as some people are presuming, you could be demisexual but that's more to do with emotional connections rather than just sex drive. You seem really similar to me so I think it's pretty normal :smile:

I don't think I would be particularly bothered about sex if it was with a boyfriend I cared about. I would enjoy the sex if it happened but I wouldn't particularly desire for it to happen, does that make any sense?
Original post by Treeroy
I will have a look at that site, but I don't get how I could be asexual when I find men hot.

You can be asexual and find people hot - assuming that that attraction doesn't make you want to have sex with them.
No, it isn't normal. It may be a sign of hormonal imbalances, or other physiological issues. You should probably check with your doctor, as a lack of a sex drive can be indicative of depression, thyroid issues, or cardiovascular disease.
Original post by catrinana
As said above, have you had a look at AVEN? - http://www.asexuality.org/home/
You might be asexual, or perhaps grey area asexual or demisexual. :smile:

maybe antisexual
Reply 13
Original post by Infraspecies
No, it isn't normal. It may be a sign of hormonal imbalances, or other physiological issues. You should probably check with your doctor, as a lack of a sex drive can be indicative of depression, thyroid issues, or cardiovascular disease.

oh I'm sorry, is it now a requirement that everyone must love sex?
Reply 14
I have gone from an extremely high sex drive to a non existent one. I don't think it's 'normal'.

But if you've never really had a sex drive and there's been no change, then it's normal for you I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then you're asexual - be proud of it, it's a part of who you are and there's certainly nothing wrong with it :smile:
Original post by Treeroy
oh I'm sorry, is it now a requirement that everyone must love sex?

It's not a requirement, no.

You asked if it was normal. The answer is no, it is not statistically normal.
I then felt obliged, being in the know, on sharing the information I possess on lack of libido. Do you not want to be aware of all the possible information?

A lack of libido sometimes has no apparent cause, no underlying physiological or psychological reason. However, that doesn't mean it's always healthy to immediately term oneself "demisexual" or "asexual" and to think nothing more of it, where in fact a lack of libido can, in some cases, be indicative of a more sinister health problem.

I'm trying to be helpful.
Original post by Treeroy
x

Transsexuals such as yourself are known to suffer from low libido due to hormonal changes.
Original post by PusE
I have gone from an extremely high sex drive to a non existent one. I don't think it's 'normal'.

But if you've never really had a sex drive and there's been no change, then it's normal for you I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why what happened?
That's entirely normal - sexual desire exists on a spectrum, and maybe you're just at the low end?

If you're happy with it, cool, no need to do anything.

If not, go see a GP, they can help.

Also, do you feel attracted to people? If not, check out AVEN

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending