The Student Room Group

dropped from maths course before induction test

hey. I have run into some issues and would like suggestions as to what to do.

I recently was dropped from the maths A level course in my sixth form for the reason that in the years before my teacher determined i was incapable of doing A level maths (???). Literally 2 days later was the induction test where if you got higher than I believe 70% you were picked for the course.My GCSE grade was a B, so while is better than some, not that good.

I don't know if i should try to protest to be put back onto the course or just give up. I initially didn't really care but it has become slightly irritating at this stage as it has really messed up all of my A levels.

Another thing I found is that i misinterpreted the difficulty of the course. I spent about 5 hours doing 1 sheet, so i thought i was having too much trouble but it turns out 2 of my friends that got A*s spent the same amount of time, yet did half of my work. They are both in further maths also. Is that enough reason to ask to be put back on the course? I believe the induction test is tomorrow. I don't really know at this stage. Thanks in advance.
This will always come back to annoy you.
Ask the teachers to reconsider their decision, take the test and see how you do. If you do well, talk to your teachers about what they think you need to do in order to succeed. If you don't do well, move on.
Don't keep comparing yourself to other people, this should only be about you and your realistic potential. Grades and test scores aren't everything. Your teachers should have a good idea of your aptitude and how likely you are to succeed.
Keep in mind that the data do show that for maths with a B at GCSE level your likelihood of a high grade at A level is low. That's not to say it's impossible to do well but you might be better off studying something you are stronger at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
This will always come back to annoy you.
Ask the teachers to reconsider their decision, take the test and see how you do. If you do well, talk to your teachers about what they think you need to do in order to succeed. If you don't do well, move on.
Don't keep comparing yourself to other people, this should only be about you and your realistic potential. Grades and test scores aren't everything. Your teachers should have a good idea of your aptitude and how likely you are to succeed.
Keep in mind that the data do show that for maths with a B at GCSE level your likelihood of a high grade at A level is low. That's not to say it's impossible to do well but you might be better off studying something you are stronger at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your input. I have decided that my maths ability is still sub par in under other topics and have decided to take Chemistry. Not that my chemistry skills are much better, but since I am practically taking 4 sciences now, they should link and make it easier.

thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending