The Student Room Group

Books for Medical School and Tips

Hi everyone!

I will be startinig medical school towards the end of this month, but just had a couple of questions that someone here may be able to help me with!

I haven't recieved a 'reading list' of recommended books to buy from the medical school yet (maybe we will recieve one during freshers?), but I was just wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a few text books?

Also, would anyone be able to offer any last minute tips/advice before I leave for university? :biggrin:

Thanks!
Original post by Future.Medic.
Hi everyone!

I will be startinig medical school towards the end of this month, but just had a couple of questions that someone here may be able to help me with!

I haven't recieved a 'reading list' of recommended books to buy from the medical school yet (maybe we will recieve one during freshers?), but I was just wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a few text books?

Also, would anyone be able to offer any last minute tips/advice before I leave for university? :biggrin:

Thanks!

Biggest tip is don't buy anything before you start. Get them out from the library and see which books you like first.
Reply 2
Original post by Future.Medic.
Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Don't buy any right now - better to buy them ad hoc as you go and find you need them during the course. Books needed are very university dependent, and the 'must haves' (eg Kumar and Clarke, Oxford Handbook) are clinical books and I would suggest waiting until starting clinical year to buy them - they are likely to be newer editions between now and then.

If you find the library runs out of core books (eg for us it was Boron, Gray's Anatomy then some module specific books.. Janeway's, etc.) them buy them then. Get Amazon Student Prime or whatever it is, 6mo free trial and you can get books you buy next day for free. I'm someone that likes owning a textbook because I like annotating/writing in them, but even from me don't buy loads before you start. Oh and unless the reading list is actually updated and half decent, ignore it, they're usually written years and years ago and half the lecturers have changed since. Ask people in the year above what books are useful for what.
Also a shout out to the BMA library. You can get free BMA membership as a student, and they'll ship out books to you for free (and with free returns). I got a cool little collection about a day after requesting them, and you can hold them for around 3 months. Pretty decent :smile: Most of the major books (K&C, Davidsons, OHCM, Gray's) seem to be fully booked out though.
Original post by MJK91
:smile:

Original post by ForestCat

Original post by Beska

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate your help! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending