The Student Room Group

All my friends are going to uni I have nobody?

I didnt get the grades this year so have to take an unplanned gap year to retake a lot of exams so no time for travelling. I have been trying for ages to get a job but keep getting rejected so I can try make more friends. I have joined the local hockey club but everyone is younger than me and are all school friends I just dont know how I will cope. Most of my friends have gone and the last go in the next few days I am so upset already I dont know if In can cope.

I would rather be back at school retaking so I can make friends and talk to teachers when I have problems etc but I am gonna have nobody to talk to and a phonecall to my mates just isnt the same. I need like personal support this year and have nobody to tell all my problems too I am not close with my parents and they are annoying me enough as it is being with them 24/7 (as grateful as I am that they are letting me stay home another year they just are too intense with no mates around)

What can I do? Anyone in the same situation or has been in the same situation? I thought I would have my boyfriend this year but we just broke up :frown:

thank you
Reply 1
Original post by polarbear123
I didnt get the grades this year so have to take an unplanned gap year to retake a lot of exams so no time for travelling. I have been trying for ages to get a job but keep getting rejected so I can try make more friends. I have joined the local hockey club but everyone is younger than me and are all school friends I just dont know how I will cope. Most of my friends have gone and the last go in the next few days I am so upset already I dont know if In can cope.

I would rather be back at school retaking so I can make friends and talk to teachers when I have problems etc but I am gonna have nobody to talk to and a phonecall to my mates just isnt the same. I need like personal support this year and have nobody to tell all my problems too I am not close with my parents and they are annoying me enough as it is being with them 24/7 (as grateful as I am that they are letting me stay home another year they just are too intense with no mates around)

What can I do? Anyone in the same situation or has been in the same situation? I thought I would have my boyfriend this year but we just broke up :frown:

thank you

Believe it or not your at an advantage, and you don't even realize it! Being solo is a good thing you build up your independent skills, and remember when you start work you can't take your friends with you. When you go to uni you will make new friends. This is coming from a person who spends 5 days a week alone at college so i know the feeling of leaving our friends behind. If they stay in contact you will know they are 'true' friends.
Original post by polarbear123

thank you

Apart from the breakup (I hope you're okay!), I'm in the exact same situation as you. I'm doing 3 exams next year to get good grades, self studying as well, so most days the only people I come into contact with are family members. I joined a roller derby group to give me something to do and I'm really enjoying it so far, and learning a language to keep myself occupied, but it does get lonely sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emsta
Believe it or not your at an advantage, and you don't even realize it! Being solo is a good thing you build up your independent skills, and remember when you start work you can't take your friends with you. When you go to uni you will make new friends. This is coming from a person who spends 5 days a week alone at college so i know the feeling of leaving our friends behind. If they stay in contact you will know they are 'true' friends.

Original post by TurtleberrySoup
Apart from the breakup (I hope you're okay!), I'm in the exact same situation as you. I'm doing 3 exams next year to get good grades, self studying as well, so most days the only people I come into contact with are family members. I joined a roller derby group to give me something to do and I'm really enjoying it so far, and learning a language to keep myself occupied, but it does get lonely sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks guys made me feel better I guess it is a good thing I will have to learn to make friends again like I will when I eventually go to uni its just tough at the moment. I get you about finding something to keep you occupied I might join a sports club or something :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest