The Student Room Group

A2 History

Hi guys
For those who have completed A2 history, may I ask what advice could you give regarding the subject? Although I have obtained an A in AS history (Edexcel) , I hope to have the best mental preparation before the beginning of the new term.

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It isn't that different really. Just immerse yourself and take an active interest in the subject matter. What are you studying, if you don't mind saying?
Reply 2
Original post by jape
It isn't that different really. Just immerse yourself and take an active interest in the subject matter. What are you studying, if you don't mind saying?

Thanks for your reply.
I think I will study War and Peace: 20th Century International Relations for Unit 3. Are there any essay techniques and stuff that I have to be aware of?
Reply 3
Original post by nor778
Thanks for your reply.
I think I will study War and Peace: 20th Century International Relations for Unit 3. Are there any essay techniques and stuff that I have to be aware of?

It's very similar, 60/40 and all the rest of it. I did that course, I think, Cold War stuff. Really good, but it makes you question whether humans are really fit to wield any power whatsoever. It was so futile, and we all nearly died.

Also, you'll probably develop a crush on Nikita Khrushchev.
Reply 4
Original post by jape
It's very similar, 60/40 and all the rest of it. I did that course, I think, Cold War stuff. Really good, but it makes you question whether humans are really fit to wield any power whatsoever. It was so futile, and we all nearly died.

Also, you'll probably develop a crush on Nikita Khrushchev.

Thank you!
Original post by nor778
Hi guys
For those who have completed A2 history, may I ask what advice could you give regarding the subject? Although I have obtained an A in AS history (Edexcel) , I hope to have the best mental preparation before the beginning of the new term.

Thank you!

My advice would be to concentrate on your coursework as soon as possible. Getting very high marks there will give you plenty of room to make a few mistakes in the exam should it come to that. That way you can walk out of the exam feeling positive that you've given yourself the best possible safety buffer.

I'd also recommend familiarising yourself with the details of the mark scheme. Exam boards often have very specific requirements that are used to separate the A* candidates from the A grade candidates. It sometimes comes down to a matter of vocab. Being clear about the requirements of the exam will make the examiner's job so much easier. They love a candidate who box ticks; it requires very little input and interpretation on behalf of the examiner and they can reward a high mark with little doubt. Sometimes examiners mark a little more conservatively if they're not 100% sure you've met one of the criteria.
Reply 6
Original post by colourtheory
They love a candidate who box ticks; it requires very little input and interpretation on behalf of the examiner and they can reward a high mark with little doubt. Sometimes examiners mark a little more conservatively if they're not 100% sure you've met one of the criteria.

I was always told that box-ticking was bad, and that I should try to focus on getting the points as pieces of a fluent and well-written bit of impromptu historical literature.

However, I was awful at box-ticking and analysis and really rather good at writing historical journalism, so I suspect that was just my teacher telling me to play to my strengths and hope to god I got a generous examiner. Which I did, got a C overall.

Oh, while I remember OP, don't do Israeli-Palestinian coursework. It's nails.
Reply 7
Original post by jape
I was always told that box-ticking was bad, and that I should try to focus on getting the points as pieces of a fluent and well-written bit of impromptu historical literature.

However, I was awful at box-ticking and analysis and really rather good at writing historical journalism, so I suspect that was just my teacher telling me to play to my strengths and hope to god I got a generous examiner. Which I did, got a C overall.

Thanks. I think my coursework is regarding Germany.
Reply 8
My advice would be to concentrate on your coursework as soon as possible. Getting very high marks there will give you plenty of room to make a few mistakes in the exam should it come to that. That way you can walk out of the exam feeling positive that you've given yourself the best possible safety buffer.

I'd also recommend familiarising yourself with the details of the mark scheme. Exam boards often have very specific requirements that are used to separate the A* candidates from the A grade candidates. It sometimes comes down to a matter of vocab. Being clear about the requirements of the exam will make the examiner's job so much easier. They love a candidate who box ticks; it requires very little input and interpretation on behalf of the examiner and they can reward a high mark with little doubt. Sometimes examiners mark a little more conservatively if they're not 100% sure you've met one of the criteria.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think it is best to familiar myself with the exam technique even before the start of the A2 course or the skills have to be developed though the process?
Original post by nor778
Thanks for your reply. Do you think it is best to familiar myself with the exam technique even before the start of the A2 course or the skills have to be developed though the process?

During the course of A2. You should be up to speed by about March, and sometimes it won't click until June (which can be a little terrifying)
Reply 10
During the course of A2. You should be up to speed by about March, and sometimes it won't click until June (which can be a little terrifying)

Thank you for your answer. :smile: I will certainly try my best during the course.
Original post by jape

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jape

Omg my school is forcing us to do the Israeli-Palestinian coursework :frown: why is it nails? Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jape

Why is it nails? I'm doing that one :/
Reply 14
Original post by grassntai
Omg my school is forcing us to do the Israeli-Palestinian coursework :frown: why is it nails? Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really sorry, I didn't see this.

Just work at it. Start early, work consistently and don't slow up close to the deadline. There is an immense shortage of decent sources, almost everything you find comes from the UN, the UK or Israel-funded or sympathetic organisations. The UN and UK have a vested interest in making the situation look like less of a trainwreck than it actually is, and obviously Israel has an agenda. And be careful what sites you're signing up to to access documents - a classmate ended up on a radical Islamist mailing list for trying to access some figures that hadn't been fiddled by the Israelis/United Nations/us. He was pretty shaken up.

Original post by DoNotResuscitate
Why is it nails? I'm doing that one :/

It is a lot of work, moreso than the other options (Tudors and women, right?) because there are lots more sources. But the sources you have are all innacurate, and you have to dredge up lots of original documents (the Balfour Declaration, Hussein-McMahon telegrams, Resolutions of the National Congress of Syria) to drive the bulk of your writing and then use the figures as a sort of garnish? It's hard to explain, but it was a struggle for me personally and the teachers confirmed it was much harder than the other two options my college offered, to the extent where it was axed - my year was the last to have the option.

On the upside - it's very interesting history. I was never particularly bored, apart from when I wasn't learning anything and just scouring digitised archives for dusty century-old papers, and you see the current conflict with more clarity. It was a worthwhile experience in retrospect, but it was a massive dark cloud hanging over my head at a time in my life where I really, really didn't need one.
I gained an a in AS History with Edexcel and then got an B overall in the A-Level because I got an b in a2. be very careful. put so much work into coursework so it is easier for you in the exam even though i did this i got a B.
Original post by Samantha01
I gained an a in AS History with Edexcel and then got an B overall in the A-Level because I got an b in a2. be very careful. put so much work into coursework so it is easier for you in the exam even though i did this i got a B.

Well done a B is good m'dear. What did you get in the coursework?
I got 189/200 As 183/200 A2. Only got a B on History coursework 63/80 but 120/120 on A2 Exam. as I got 94/100 and 95/100
Original post by jape
I'm really sorry, I didn't see this.

Just work at it. Start early, work consistently and don't slow up close to the deadline. There is an immense shortage of decent sources, almost everything you find comes from the UN, the UK or Israel-funded or sympathetic organisations. The UN and UK have a vested interest in making the situation look like less of a trainwreck than it actually is, and obviously Israel has an agenda. And be careful what sites you're signing up to to access documents - a classmate ended up on a radical Islamist mailing list for trying to access some figures that hadn't been fiddled by the Israelis/United Nations/us. He was pretty shaken up.

It is a lot of work, moreso than the other options (Tudors and women, right?) because there are lots more sources. But the sources you have are all innacurate, and you have to dredge up lots of original documents (the Balfour Declaration, Hussein-McMahon telegrams, Resolutions of the National Congress of Syria) to drive the bulk of your writing and then use the figures as a sort of garnish? It's hard to explain, but it was a struggle for me personally and the teachers confirmed it was much harder than the other two options my college offered, to the extent where it was axed - my year was the last to have the option.

On the upside - it's very interesting history. I was never particularly bored, apart from when I wasn't learning anything and just scouring digitised archives for dusty century-old papers, and you see the current conflict with more clarity. It was a worthwhile experience in retrospect, but it was a massive dark cloud hanging over my head at a time in my life where I really, really didn't need one.

Oh great, would you recommend I choose another topic? The other topic I can choose is Ireland 1800-1900, but the Palestine coursework interested me as it seems more relevant today. However I do need to hoover up as many marks as possible on this coursework.

Kinda scared I might end up on government terrorist lists now if I choose the Palestine coursework.
anyone doing coursework on the colonization of Africa?

Quick Reply