The Student Room Group

Low calorie drinking

Hey just wondering if anyone knows of the best lowest calorie alcoholic drinks/mixers? Lots of people have been telling me that drinking is the main reason for putting on loads of weight in uni instead of takeaways so I'm trying to find out what would be the least fattening!

Scroll to see replies

A shot of alcohol has on average 70-80 calories if I remember correctly. So that neat or with low calorie/ zero calories mixers would probably be best. Pints of beer are generally 180-200 calories. The highest calories drinks are sugary and creamy cocktails. And bottled drinks like WKD which are about 230 each.

So in terms of most alcoholic content at least calories, neat spirits would be best.
Vodka or gin + tonic water (sugar free)
That simple.

Avoid sugary fruit juices and sugar laden fizzy drinks. Get the diet versions.
Reply 3
Original post by Maphoner53
Hey just wondering if anyone knows of the best lowest calorie alcoholic drinks/mixers? Lots of people have been telling me that drinking is the main reason for putting on loads of weight in uni instead of takeaways so I'm trying to find out what would be the least fattening!

Spirits are lower in calories than beer, cider or wine so I normally go for rum or vodka with lime and soda. Just going for the diet version of the mixer you would normally have will save a lot of calories as they are virtually calorie free :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by xlizx
Spirits are lower in calories than beer, cider or wine so I normally go for rum or vodka with lime and soda. Just going for the diet version of the mixer you would normally have will save a lot of calories as they are virtually calorie free :smile:

Do you mean soda water? I've tried it before and it's such a bitter taste! Does lime make much off a difference to th taste?
Reply 5
Original post by tehforum
Vodka or gin + tonic water (sugar free)
That simple.

Avoid sugary fruit juices and sugar laden fizzy drinks. Get the diet versions.

What about pure orange juice or cranberry? Or even black currant dilute or flavoured water 😮
What about pure orange juice or cranberry? Or even black currant dilute or flavoured water 😮

Flavoured water is usually sweetened with artificial sweeteners. That's fine.

Orange juice and cranberry are loaded with sugar, so avoid those if you're calorie conscious.

Ribena is also heavy on the sugar and is comparable to Coke in terms of sugar content. Avoid.
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum
Flavoured water is usually sweetened with artificial sweeteners. That's fine.

Orange juice and cranberry are loaded with sugar, so avoid those if you're calorie conscious.

Ribena is also heavy on the sugar and is comparable to Coke in terms of sugar content. Avoid.

I had no idea about the orange juice being loaded with sugar 😩😩 everything seems to be loaded with sugar which makes it so much harder.

Might try sparkling water or flavoured thank you!!
I had no idea about the orange juice being loaded with sugar 😩😩 everything seems to be loaded with sugar which makes it so much harder.

Juices contain natural sugar (fructose), rather than refined sugar, but a calorie is a calorie.

Try low calorie tonic water (GIN and tonic!)

Well it's just the sugary watery contents of a fruit. Most juices in general are not much better for you than fizzy drinks. Most doctors will agree it's not good to drink fruit juices any more than in small amounts of moderation. Because it's just pure sugar with little to no nutrition to go along with it, as it has been stripped of things like fibre. So it's just an instant sugar rush. The vitamin C doesn't even make up for it, since you can get it in many other forms of your diet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by SophieSmall
Well it's just the sugary watery contents of a fruit. Most juices in general are not much better for you than fizzy drinks. Most doctors will agree it's not good to drink fruit juices any more than in small amounts of moderation. Because it's just pure sugar with little to no nutrition to go along with it, as it has been stripped of things like fibre. So it's just an instant sugar rush. The vitamin C doesn't even make up for it, since you can get it in many other forms of your diet.

Yeah that does make a lot of sense thanks! Everything alcoholic seems to be full of sugar 😩 what would you say about soda water or even diluting juice like black current or like you know like the mi wadi brand?
Reply 11
Water
You have to consider as well that whilst your body is dealing with alcohol, several other bodily functions will be inhibited to prioritise the elimination of the alcohol - namely, the metabolism is inhibited dramatically. You're basically in a hypothyroid state while intoxicated with alcohol, so if you take in a lot of calories then it's likely you'll store a lot of what you're taking in as fat where your TDEE is low and your ability to efficiently metabolise nutrients and calories is poor.
Original post by WoodyMKC
You have to consider as well that whilst your body is dealing with alcohol, several other bodily functions will be inhibited to prioritise the elimination of the alcohol - namely, the metabolism is inhibited dramatically. You're basically in a hypothyroid state while intoxicated with alcohol, so if you take in a lot of calories then it's likely you'll store a lot of what you're taking in as fat where your TDEE is low and your ability to efficiently metabolise nutrients and calories is poor.

Is there a time frame or any idea how long your body remains in that state?
Yeah that does make a lot of sense thanks! Everything alcoholic seems to be full of sugar 😩 what would you say about soda water or even diluting juice like black current or like you know like the mi wadi brand?

It's not the alcohol itself that has a lot of sugar, it's what you mix in it. Any spirit (not to be confused with liqueur) you have should have little to no sugar content (though they do contain some calories, approx 70 per shot). It's what you add to them that increases sugar content, and unfortunately more sugar content = more calories. So like has already been said numerous times, if you don't want to drink your spirits straight add sugar free mixers. Such as diet soft drinks or soda water with a slice of lemon or lime. Don't confuse soda water with tonic water however, a can of tonic water has about 120 calories.

Pretty much all the information you need was in my original comment on your thread. Those are the calories in spirits, beers and wines and soft drink alcohol (WKDs etc). So those are what you should go off, and then add to those calories any mixers you may add and that is the total calories for the drink

I'm not sure what other kind of answers you could possibly be looking for?
Original post by King Leonidas
Is there a time frame or any idea how long your body remains in that state?

Just while the alcohol is in your system mate. I suppose a basic guideline would be the old "1 unit of alcohol = 1 hour to process and eliminate" rule.

Obviously a lot of people drink well upwards of 10 units throughout the night and then have a big fry-up in the morning when the alcohol is still in their system which then wouldn't be processed very well, so there's that to consider. A bit like those programs on TV that you see where people are pulled over on a Saturday morning and arrested for being over the drink-drive limit, where they'd been out on the lash the night before and assumed they'd slept the alcohol out of their system :biggrin:
Just while the alcohol is in your system mate. I suppose a basic guideline would be the old "1 unit of alcohol = 1 hour to process and eliminate" rule.

Obviously a lot of people drink well upwards of 10 units throughout the night and then have a big fry-up in the morning when the alcohol is still in their system which then wouldn't be processed very well, so there's that to consider. A bit like those programs on TV that you see where people are pulled over on a Saturday morning and arrested for being over the drink-drive limit, where they'd been out on the lash the night before and assumed they'd slept the alcohol out of their system :biggrin:

Posts like that make me regret being a ale/beer man, but it's just soo good:coma:

Fancy a Guiness right now.
Original post by King Leonidas
Posts like that make me regret being a ale/beer man, but it's just soo good:coma:

Fancy a Guiness right now.

Funnily enough I've really taken to alcohol free lager lately, it gets a bad rep but as a beer lover who's giving up alcohol I actually enjoy them. Becks is horrible, the aftertaste of cleaning fluid is vile... but Bavaria Premium is good stuff tbf, nice and sweet, bit malty, doesn't taste flat, becoming a regular thing for me :smile:
Pure alcohol itself has a lot of calories in (7 calories per gram, for reference fat has 9 calories per gram), so regardless of the alcoholic drink, you can't avoid calories. Even "light" beers have a lot of calories in - unless they compromise on the alcohol content, which defeats the point. Therefore, with drinking comes calories. You can reduce how many calories you have by having, say, diet coke instead of coke in a mixer or sugar free red bull in jagerbombs, but to be honest it's not going to have a massive effect. A pint of beer has around the same amount of calories (200) as a chocolate bar. People don't think about downing 5 pints, but they would think about eating 5 chocolate bars. It's all about perception - people forget about the calories in liquids. The only way to have a lower-calorie night out is to not drink at all, which is probably not what you want to hear.
Funnily enough I've really taken to alcohol free lager lately, it gets a bad rep but as a beer lover who's giving up alcohol I actually enjoy them. Becks is horrible, the aftertaste of cleaning fluid is vile... but Bavaria Premium is good stuff tbf, nice and sweet, bit malty, doesn't taste flat, becoming a regular thing for me :smile:

Might try it, where do you get it from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending