My A Level Options are (year 12)

Geography (GCSE grade B)
English Literature (GCSE Grade A)
Philosophy and Ethics (GCSE Grade A)
Business Studies (Didn't do it at GCSE)

I could only do 2/4 of my a level options because I didn't do great at GCSE
I originally wanted to do
Maths, economics, geography and English literature
So since mathematics and economics are out, I had to choose business and philosophy and ethics as my subjects were very limited

Just for your information:
GCSE maths - grade C
GCSE English Lang - Grade B

I really enjoy geography but I worry that at degree level after graduation, what can I really do in terms of employment
Law sounded quite interesting
Law with climate change at Sussex?
Loads of areas of employment there?
What courses do you think I could go with GCSE maths C as a lot of courses require a grade B in maths

I plan to drop business in Y13 because it's seen as an easy/soft a level

What can I go into for courses at University - I care more about the University then the course itself - provided it's a well respected and good university (doesn't need to be amazing)
Universities such as Sussex, Manchester, Cardiff, Liverpool, etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VivekJ555
My A Level Options are (year 12)

Geography (GCSE grade B)
English Literature (GCSE Grade A)
Philosophy and Ethics (GCSE Grade A)
Business Studies (Didn't do it at GCSE)

I could only do 2/4 of my a level options because I didn't do great at GCSE
I originally wanted to do
Maths, economics, geography and English literature
So since mathematics and economics are out, I had to choose business and philosophy and ethics as my subjects were very limited

Just for your information:
GCSE maths - grade C
GCSE English Lang - Grade B

I really enjoy geography but I worry that at degree level after graduation, what can I really do in terms of employment
Law sounded quite interesting
Law with climate change at Sussex?
Loads of areas of employment there?
What courses do you think I could go with GCSE maths C as a lot of courses require a grade B in maths

I plan to drop business in Y13 because it's seen as an easy/soft a level

What can I go into for courses at University - I care more about the University then the course itself - provided it's a well respected and good university (doesn't need to be amazing)
Universities such as Sussex, Manchester, Cardiff, Liverpool, etc)
Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a well-thought out set of choices at AS, and should allow you to choose a whole range of humanities courses (note that Geography can be awarded as a BSc or as a BA depending on the slant of the particular course chosen - you would be aiming for the BA ones).

A humanities degree can lead onto an even wider range of careers.

For a thorough treatment on the sorts of points to think about in choosing a degree subject for your UCAS application next year, have a look at this article:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/help_choosing_a_subject
Reply 2
Original post by Holmstock
That sounds like a well-thought out set of choices at AS, and should allow you to choose a whole range of humanities courses (note that Geography can be awarded as a BSc or as a BA depending on the slant of the particular course chosen - you would be aiming for the BA ones).

A humanities degree can lead onto an even wider range of careers.

For a thorough treatment on the sorts of points to think about in choosing a degree subject for your UCAS application next year, have a look at this article:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/help_choosing_a_subject

Do you think my choice of subjects would be okay to go into Law?
There is a course called
Law and climate Change (LLB hons) which looks very interesting - would I be considered if applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a course called
Law and climate Change (LLB hons) which looks very interesting - would I be considered if applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leeds does a great environment and business course
There is a course called

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looking at webpage about this

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/law/ugstudy/2016/33068

the entry requirements are AAA-AAB (i.e. normal offer AAA, candidates from deprived areas AAB), so you would need to be aiming to reach this sort of level by the end of A2.

It seems that the course is based in the law school, but I was unable to find any info about the climate change element (taught by the law department, or another department, with or without a science slant?). However, no particular A-levels are requested, and no particular GCSEs either, so your choices should be fine for this course. Which Uni states that the most frequently held A-level was English at grade B (around a third of the Law department intake). See

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-sussex-s90/law-with-climate-change-3-years-m1f7

There are probably not very many people taking this option, so unistats gives an overview of the law department as a whole. AAA would be 360 points, and according to Unistats at this page

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/entry/10007806FT-33070/ReturnTo/Search ,

about 10% of entrants in 2012-2014 had 280-320 points (around BBB) and about 5% lower than this. Another 25% or so held 320 to 360 points and rest had more points than this. However, it is not explicit as to whether the entrants UCAS tariff points included their 4th (or more) AS level points, music exam points etc.

There is an open day on 3rd October, and if you are able to visit the department, they could probably tell you the typical numbers applying for this option, the numbers being made offers, the type of work studied in the climate change modules and the best A-levels for this option. If you cannot get there, ring the department and make some enquiries.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest