The Student Room Group

Entry requirements help.

I have just finished my a-levels so know my results - BBC - I was only 2 marks off ABB which is exactly the grades I wanted and needed!! Anyhow I have to work with what I have got.I'm applying to uni for 2016 entry and wanted to do American Studies, but I would have liked to have gone to UEA or Birmingham (ABB Entry grades). As such I am now left looking at Swansea.
So my question is; is it worth applying to these unis and hoping my experience of a year out and good GCSE results of 4A*s 5As and a B make up for the difference? Or am I just wasting two applications. Thanks for your help.
Original post by jshayward
I have just finished my a-levels so know my results - BBC - I was only 2 marks off ABB which is exactly the grades I wanted and needed!! Anyhow I have to work with what I have got.I'm applying to uni for 2016 entry and wanted to do American Studies, but I would have liked to have gone to UEA or Birmingham (ABB Entry grades). As such I am now left looking at Swansea.
So my question is; is it worth applying to these unis and hoping my experience of a year out and good GCSE results of 4A*s 5As and a B make up for the difference? Or am I just wasting two applications. Thanks for your help.

Three grades off is a lot. Your GCSEs could be seen as a bad sign as well as a good one. What have you done in your gap year which might be seen as a positive?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Three grades off is a lot. Your GCSEs could be seen as a bad sign as well as a good one. What have you done in your gap year which might be seen as a positive?

I am working in industry and going to college doing an AAT level 2 in accounting - I'm basically doing a years apprenticeship in accounting.
I am working in industry and going to college doing an AAT level 2 in accounting - I'm basically doing a years apprenticeship in accounting.

Interesting but not specifically targeted at your course.

Did you get your near-miss papers remarked?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Interesting but not specifically targeted at your course.

Did you get your near-miss papers remarked?

Yes and both stayed exactly the same, not a single mark either way.
The one was in English where unit wise I got A A A D.
Yes and both stayed exactly the same, not a single mark either way.
The one was in English where unit wise I got A A A D.

Ouch!

I would normally suggest that it would be a bit of a stretch to apply to two ABB unis in your situation. However, how many unis offer American Studies and how many of those would you be willing to attend? There is no point going somewhere and paying a lot of money unless you want to go there.

Another fact to consider is that all the three unis you mentioned were in clearing for various American Studies courses last year, so might be a little bit on the lenient side - though perhaps not as lenient as you would like!

One tactic might be to apply to 2-3 unis at first, including at least one of UEA and Birmingham, to see what response you get. That might inform your final choices.

Why don't you retake? Neither UEA nor Birmingham mind students taking 3 years to achieve the entry requirements. Otherwise you could put one as a high level choice and make sure you meet or exceed the entry requirements for the rest.

What are your predictions + do you feel you are capable of achieving ABB, considering A2 are hard and you are on the border? Plus is ABB the requirement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending