The Student Room Group

Self teaching A level Sociology

Hi, Id like to fast track A level sociology and do both AS/A2 in a year therefore I would take the exam in 2016. However, I cannot find a college which will do this so I am thinking of self teaching , I have an A level in psychology at grade B but having done research sociology is not similar to psychology. Is anyone else doing this or has already done this? if so is there any advice you can give me? How hard is it? I have already been recommended the books and units to study (AQA board). My main concern is essay structure.
Reply 1
the research methods for psych and soc are basically the same so thats one topic you probably wont have too much trouble with!!

the essay structure is not too bad once you have the hang of it (if you google it you can find lots of helpful resources!) i used basic PEELE (point, evidence, explanation, link, evaluation) structure, and for methods question (one of the essays on scly2 i think) we were told to use PERVERT (practical issues, ethical issues, reliability, validity, examples, representativeness and theoretical issues)
It's not difficult
I did AS sociology and got 190/200 ums
Um my advise practice essays
Try to get a tutor to mark them
And get Rob Webb succeed in sociology A level revision guide and rob Webb AS sociology textbook
They have everything you need to score highly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by citydeer
the research methods for psych and soc are basically the same so thats one topic you probably wont have too much trouble with!!

the essay structure is not too bad once you have the hang of it (if you google it you can find lots of helpful resources!) i used basic PEELE (point, evidence, explanation, link, evaluation) structure, and for methods question (one of the essays on scly2 i think) we were told to use PERVERT (practical issues, ethical issues, reliability, validity, examples, representativeness and theoretical issues)

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it, did you finish doing sociology or are you doing A2?
Original post by Aaliyah16
Thank you for the advice I appreciate it, did you finish doing sociology or are you doing A2?

No I dropped it because it was the least respected subject from my A levels,
Especially for the course I wish to study
If it's relevant to your course it's a very good and enjoyable subject to study
IMO I found sociology very interesting and actually miss it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

ive just finished A2 and i got an A* (i got 98% overall) and i did AQA too so if theres anything i can help you with just pop me a message!
i would recommend the CPG revision guide - it gives a really good overview of basic concepts and studies and then the "succeed at sociology" books - obviously it depends on you financial situation but i think its helpful if you can get a few revision books (check out second hand ones on amazon they can be as little as 1p!) as they dont all have the same studies and its good to have a variety (obviously you dont need loads but a few for each point is good!)
Reply 6
Original post by spiritless98
No I dropped it because it was the least respected subject from my A levels,
Especially for the course I wish to study
If it's relevant to your course it's a very good and enjoyable subject to study
IMO I found sociology very interesting and actually miss it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay well done on your as grade, I want to do midwifery and most unis look for biology, psychology and sociology so it is relevant to my course I guess.
Reply 7
Original post by citydeer
ive just finished A2 and i got an A* (i got 98% overall) and i did AQA too so if theres anything i can help you with just pop me a message!
i would recommend the CPG revision guide - it gives a really good overview of basic concepts and studies and then the "succeed at sociology" books - obviously it depends on you financial situation but i think its helpful if you can get a few revision books (check out second hand ones on amazon they can be as little as 1p!) as they dont all have the same studies and its good to have a variety (obviously you dont need loads but a few for each point is good!)

Wow ! Well done thats amazing having acheived an A* at A level, yeah I will get those text books, thanks for the advice , will definitely message you if I have any questions.
Reply 8
Wow ! Well done thats amazing having acheived an A* at A level, yeah I will get those text books, thanks for the advice , will definitely message you if I have any questions.

thank you!! and good luck!
Okay well done on your as grade, I want to do midwifery and most unis look for biology, psychology and sociology so it is relevant to my course I guess.

Yes if you get good grades you should get a place
A lot of people in my college did those subjects and got into midwifery and nursing and other subjects allied to medicine
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
It's not difficult
I did AS sociology and got 190/200 ums
Um my advise practice essays
Try to get a tutor to mark them
And get Rob Webb succeed in sociology A level revision guide and rob Webb AS sociology textbook
They have everything you need to score highly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you use the book orange text book or the revision guide only?
Original post by xxvine
Did you use the book orange text book or the revision guide only?

I used both of them
The rob Webb textbook is the best tho, it has A01 and A02 all in it and maximises your marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I used both of them
The rob Webb textbook is the best tho, it has A01 and A02 all in it and maximises your marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay so you can't get away with just the revision guide?
Original post by xxvine
Oh okay so you can't get away with just the revision guide?

Nope revision guide alone isn't enough
Plus I used my class notes too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Nope revision guide alone isn't enough
Plus I used my class notes too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh so need to buy the orange text book right?
Original post by xxvine
oh so need to buy the orange text book right?

Yes if you want to :smile: it's really good esp for research methods essays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yes if you want to :smile: it's really good esp for research methods essays

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay will order it right now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending