The Student Room Group

Any head guards which completely mitigates contact in sparring?

i want to do something with my body after making it better at the gym, like learning a martial art. the only problem is I had some problem with my nose, I had to have a medical op on the NHS for breathing then a cosmetic one with a top surgeon in Europe.

I literally can't afford to have another nose job and you can't just repeated operate on the same body part either.

Is there a headguard which will make a glove unable to get punched through the front opening? Maybe a really thick one that makes my head look like a giant meat ball?
(edited 8 years ago)
In boxing, people with nose injuries sometimes spar using headgear with a nose bar like this:

Some other standard headgears have cheekguards that come round far enough that it may offer you a little bit of protection, like this:

But to be completely honest, if you're boxing (I can't speak for any other sport), those won't stop your nose taking a beating. You nose and mouth is where you will get hit the most when you spar, it's the nature of the sport. I don't think I've ever had a good sparring session without getting a bit of a bloody nose/mouth. (Maybe that just says a lot about my defence though :biggrin: )
Reply 2
I think you'd be much better going for a semi contact martial art and even then competing in sparring would probably not be wise and training accidents do happen
Reply 3
Original post by e aí rapaz
But to be completely honest, if you're boxing (I can't speak for any other sport), those won't stop your nose taking a beating. You nose and mouth is where you will get hit the most when you spar, it's the nature of the sport. I don't think I've ever had a good sparring session without getting a bit of a bloody nose/mouth. (Maybe that just says a lot about my defence though :biggrin: )

I was kinda going to say the opposite! I've never had a sparring session where have had a bloody nose/nose injury (possibly mouth, but that seems to be caused by my gumshield more than anything :unimpressed:).

Maybe it's because I'm a girl and the guys often seem to feel like they shouldn't go as hard (although in my opinion there is nothing better than a good sparring session giving it 100%...best feeling of exhaustion and adrenaline there is!), although I do kickboxing rather than straight boxing, so there are fewer straight head shots I guess. But in my experience, training has very rarely included many facial injuries!

As BKS said though, there is always a chance of accidents and injuries, and if you're concerned about nose injuries, it does sound like semi-contact may be the way to go. Certainly when I have competed semi-contact (though again, kickboxing rather than boxing), the rules have been to aim for the forehead, not the face, and for it to be 'controlled' and not too hard.
Original post by Liv1204
I was kinda going to say the opposite! I've never had a sparring session where have had a bloody nose/nose injury (possibly mouth, but that seems to be caused by my gumshield more than anything :unimpressed:).

Maybe it's because I'm a girl and the guys often seem to feel like they shouldn't go as hard (although in my opinion there is nothing better than a good sparring session giving it 100%...best feeling of exhaustion and adrenaline there is!), although I do kickboxing rather than straight boxing, so there are fewer straight head shots I guess. But in my experience, training has very rarely included many facial injuries!

As BKS said though, there is always a chance of accidents and injuries, and if you're concerned about nose injuries, it does sound like semi-contact may be the way to go. Certainly when I have competed semi-contact (though again, kickboxing rather than boxing), the rules have been to aim for the forehead, not the face, and for it to be 'controlled' and not too hard.

It's probably a difference between the two sports. The gym I spent most of my life at didn't even train girls but of the clubs I've been to that do, they would never have a guy and girl sparring together. Just wouldn't happen.

Plus there is no semi-contact in boxing, so the vast majority of hits are at your mouth/nose/cheek.
Reply 5
http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/cleto-reyes-boxing-equipment-p3.html

follow the link and scroll down, clayto rays do but they are expensive.

they may be some other brands that do cheaper on the sugar rays website.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AMG44
http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/cleto-reyes-boxing-equipment-p3.html

follow the link and scroll down, clayto rays do but they are expensive.

they may be some other brands that do cheaper on the sugar rays website.

You are ****ting me, £150-£200. Couldn't someone do it better with a steel box on your head or something?
Reply 7
Original post by thisistheend
You are ****ting me, £150-£200. Couldn't someone do it better with a steel box on your head or something?

lol, they are the best, made in mexico.

Think every pro under the sun uses them. if you look on the headguard section there is others available. I just posted the best available.

Quick Reply

Latest