The Student Room Group

23, no qualifications, are my days over?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Inve
Probably because it's a lot of work and these days an awful lot of money in loans.

Exactly. The OP seems to think uni will magically lead to riches - far from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thatsthespirit
I've just dug up my results and at first glance they are not as bad as I first thought, still bad though! :s-smilie:

GCSE's:

Maths - D
English - C
English Lit - C
Food Tech - D
German - D
History - E
Science - C
Additional Science - D

GCSE Short Course:

Citizenship Studies - C

Any ideas where I can go from those results? 3 GCSE's A-C (4 including short course) but only a D in Maths.

The academic year for many colleges has already begun, but I'd suggest contacting a few local colleges and seeing if they've got any spaces on a GCSE Maths course / Access to HE course as a late entry.

You may find one that'll allow you to do an access to HE alongside a Maths GCSE because the good news is you already have English & Science at a grade C and some colleges may be willing to work with you on that basis.
lol so this is how long it takes for people to realize uni/college is important?crikey, at least you did realize.
Just sit some gcses (english,science,maths, etc) then go do a levels then go uni lol good luck
Original post by justag
Exactly. The OP seems to think uni will magically lead to riches - far from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you work that one out? In no way whatsoever over the thread have I stated anything that sounds close to 'UNI WILL MAKE ME RICH'. If anything, I'm well off now. I had my own flat at the age of 21 and earning comfortable money as it is.

Obviously you've had or having a bad experience with money or your studies so I'll refrain from upsetting you further, or better still, just stop clicking on this thread?
I don't think that qualifications are necessarily the be-all and end-all of one's employment prospects, but - no offence intended, OP - someone who's stuck in a miserable job at a carpet factory isn't exactly going to waltz into any other better jobs, nor are they likely to work their way up in the business. The OP has three options that are more likely to lead to a more fulfilling job: (1) look for something else he can get into despite poor qualifications (e.g Police), (2) starting his own business, or (3) improving his qualifications. (Sorry, OP, if you're female; assumed you're male!)

OP: If option 1 or 2 appeals, go for it. But I think option 3 has a lot to offer, assuming you're motivated to put the work in. It gives you the opportunity to discover and develop your interests over a few years, rather than having to immediately commit to a specific career. Imo, it's better to think about what you want to do and find a path to help you get into it, rather than limit yourself to the options that might be available with your current qualifications. Apart from the mortgage (which has been discussed previously), there's not really anything holding you back, so why not go for it if it's what you want to do?
Reply 25
How did you work that one out? In no way whatsoever over the thread have I stated anything that sounds close to 'UNI WILL MAKE ME RICH'. If anything, I'm well off now. I had my own flat at the age of 21 and earning comfortable money as it is.

Obviously you've had or having a bad experience with money or your studies so I'll refrain from upsetting you further, or better still, just stop clicking on this thread?

Alright, calm down. lol

From your track record it doesn't seem like you enjoy studying. So why do it anymore? Ever thought about that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
I don't think that qualifications are necessarily the be-all and end-all of one's employment prospects, but - no offence intended, OP - someone who's stuck in a miserable job at a carpet factory isn't exactly going to waltz into any other better jobs, nor are they likely to work their way up in the business. The OP has three options that are more likely to lead to a more fulfilling job: (1) look for something else he can get into despite poor qualifications (e.g Police), (2) starting his own business, or (3) improving his qualifications. (Sorry, OP, if you're female; assumed you're male!)

OP: If option 1 or 2 appeals, go for it. But I think option 3 has a lot to offer, assuming you're motivated to put the work in. It gives you the opportunity to discover and develop your interests over a few years, rather than having to immediately commit to a specific career. Imo, it's better to think about what you want to do and find a path to help you get into it, rather than limit yourself to the options that might be available with your current qualifications. Apart from the mortgage (which has been discussed previously), there's not really anything holding you back, so why not go for it if it's what you want to do?

None taken, I completely agree regarding the carpet factory comment. It literally is a 'dead end job' and the thought of staying there forever frightens me.

Thanks all for your comments by the way, appreciate it! :h:
OP, what about doing a Level 3 apprenticeship in something practical like plumbing or Welding and fabrication, having a trade under your belt can allow you to work in lots of different places. I think people under the age of 24 still get funded, so you would need to hurry, but apprenticeships are available all year. :smile: Good Luck whatever you do.
Reply 28
Well I have two masters with distinction and can't find a job as well. You're not alone.
Original post by Hydeman
most offers will ask for a certain amount of credits at distinction and a certain amount at pass.

Usually, they will offer a mix of distinctions and merits rather than distinctions and passes. I'd like to expand on what you were saying, though. Many of the top 30 unis will ask for a mix of distinctions and merits (and sometimes just merits depending on the course*), but many universities—and I'd go as far to say most—ask for merits or less. It's important that prospective Access students don't think they need to be the top in their class in order to go to university, which I felt your post might have impressed.

*Nottingham has a whole bunch of them which specify merits only, such as archaeology.
Original post by Josb
Well I have two masters with distinction and can't find a job as well. You're not alone.

Is it because there is not job market for your master degree or you haven't tried harder to find one.
Original post by callum_law
Usually, they will offer a mix of distinctions and merits rather than distinctions and passes. I'd like to expand on what you were saying, though. Many of the top 30 unis will ask for a mix of distinctions and merits (and sometimes just merits depending on the course*), but many universities—and I'd go as far to say most—ask for merits or less. It's important that prospective Access students don't think they need to be the top in their class in order to go to university, which I felt your post might have impressed.

*Nottingham has a whole bunch of them which specify merits only, such as archaeology.

Haha, sorry, that's a typo! I definitely meant to say distinction and merit. xD I also didn't mean to give that impression but okay...

I'll correct the typo now.
I've just dug up my results and at first glance they are not as bad as I first thought, still bad though! :s-smilie:

GCSE's:

Maths - D
English - C
English Lit - C
Food Tech - D
German - D
History - E
Science - C
Additional Science - D

GCSE Short Course:

Citizenship Studies - C

Any ideas where I can go from those results? 3 GCSE's A-C (4 including short course) but only a D in Maths.

The first step is to get Maths GCSE - you can do free evening courses at an adult learning centre.

I think the OU is a good idea as you can do it bit by bit and you won't have to sell your flat or get into debt.
Reply 33
Original post by nemoshish
Is it because there is not job market for your master degree.

I didn't know that. Thank you.
Original post by Josb
I didn't know that. Thank you.

OMG I'm telling you now :biggrin:
Original post by Muttley79
The first step is to get Maths GCSE - you can do free evening courses at an adult learning centre.

I think the OU is a good idea as you can do it bit by bit and you won't have to sell your flat or get into debt.

Would that be enough to kick on for HE?

OU?
Would that be enough to kick on for HE?

OU?

Once you've got Maths GCSE you can do Access course but I'd suggest the OU [Open Uni] - you can study at a pace you can cope with.
Open University would be best for non engineering course.
Guys, is it possible to obtain a Maths GCSE online and if I did get one that would only make 4 GCSE's + a 1/2. (short course Citizenship). Would that be enough?
Then the many computer courses I'd also be interested in.

If computer science interests you what you could do is get your maths and english GCSE, then apply for a foundation year at a university that offers computer science. Note that a foundation year is not the same as a foundation degree...completely different.

If you complete a foundation year then you also have the option to transfer to a different course and/or university.

You'll have to google around to find out where science/computer science foundation years are offered, UEA is the only one I am aware of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending