The Student Room Group

Why do girls compliment ugly/average girls more than really hot ones?

not just friends but celebrities too

For example, why do girls compliment other girls when they look ****? (as in horrible makeup/tacky clothes etc.) Now I am not being mean guys do this too.. BUT with things like facebook etc. girls do themselves up more than guys. I have noticed this IRL and on social media. Also guys do not talk as much about how other guys look due to insecurity about being seen as gay, but guys out of insecurity will often say stuff like Cristiano Ronaldo is ugly or something

I used to think it was girls being catty and saying that other girls look good when they look bad so there is less competition. But they actually seem to believe it!! Also with female celebrities, girls will often "big up" girls who are 7/10 at best but say that they think actresses whom everyone drools over are overrated.

I have a theory (anti feminist) that sometimes less attractive girls are MORE likely to compliment a similarly less attractive girl/celebrity, or a girl/celebrity who is "average" or slightly above average girl at best, than a girl who is a 9 or 10 out of 10, whom everyone thinks is attractive. The reason they do this is to "lower the bar", esp. as the girls they compliment often look similar to themselves!

Has anyone else noticed this?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its jealousyyyyyy

Original post by meninism
for example, why do girls compliment other girls when they look ****? (as in horrible makeup/tacky clothes etc.) now i am not being mean guys do this too.. But with things like facebook etc. Girls do themselves up more than guys. I have noticed this irl and on social media. Also guys do not talk as much about how other guys look due to insecurity about being seen as gay, but guys out of insecurity will often say stuff like cristiano ronaldo is ugly or something

i used to think it was girls being catty and saying that other girls look good when they look bad so there is less competition. But they actually seem to believe it!! Also with female celebrities, girls will often "big up" girls who are 7/10 at best but say that they think actresses whom everyone drools over are overrated.

I have a theory (anti feminist) that sometimes less attractive girls are more likely to compliment a similarly less attractive girl, or a girl who is "average" or slightly above average girl at best, than a girl who is a 9 or 10 out of 10, whom everyone pretty much thinks is attractive. The reason they do this is to "lower the bar", esp. As the girls they compliment often look similar to themselves!

Has anyone else noticed this?
Beauty is subjective. What's hot to you isn't going to be hot to them m8.
Reply 3
Original post by leemz
Its jealousyyyyyy

Yeah I have noticed this with guys too but guys dont talk about how other guys look as much because we are insecure about being seen as "gay".

Girls don't necessarily always "put down" the obviously "hot" celebrities unless they are really insecure.. but they will do stuff like try and "big up" less attractive girls (often who look like them) and are famous.
Reply 4
Original post by RainbowKiwi
Beauty is subjective. What's hot to you isn't going to be hot to them m8.

kind of true but it is obvious when most of the girls you know who gossip about celebrities or even friends ignore or put down the ones who get the most male attention and then are always talking about their less attractive friend or an anorexic looking celebrity, "She's so hot!" No. Shes not. Lol.
I've noticed this as well. It's because they're jealous of the really attractive girls, so they avoid complimenting them lol
Original post by Meninism
Yeah I have noticed this with guys too but guys dont talk about how other guys look as much because we are insecure about being seen as "gay".

Girls don't necessarily always "put down" the obviously "hot" celebrities unless they are really insecure.. but they will do stuff like try and "big up" less attractive girls (often who look like them) and are famous.

That's why no homo was invented.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yeah I get you and you make a lot of sense tbh, itd quite sad really because I just wish all girls could just do them and let others be....But then again with girls being insecure,I just guess they big up the ugly girls who obviously aren't ugly because no one is, because they want to make themselves feel pretty....

To gas them up so they try and get it on with the piff boys. but they butters so they cant and its bare funny. so the girls laugh at that butters chick.

girls are savage lmfao
I would say that it would probably come down to validation as average/ugly girls tend to put themselves down a lot even when they're looking perfectly fine. I've also noticed that most girls will give compliments regardless if the person in question is unattractive or not so I guess there trying to be nice too.
kind of true but it is obvious when most of the girls you know who gossip about celebrities or even friends ignore or put down the ones who get the most male attention and then are always talking about their less attractive friend or an anorexic looking celebrity, "She's so hot!" No. Shes not. Lol.

Lmao maybe jealousy.
Reply 11
I thin kit's more of an attempt to up the person's confidence. If someone's insecure about how they look it's nice for someone to complement them
They feel intimidated by "really hot" girls.
They need more ego boosting?
Facebook-wise, it seems to be just based off how many friends the girl has. Hoes be lyin to their friendos about what the they feel about the person's looks in the comments for reasons unknown.

That said, don't state your rates as though they're fact, it's all pretty subjective, I know for a fact that my 7s are some of my m8s' 9 or 10s

I have a theory (anti feminist)

Nah anti-feminist is arguing against rape culture, patriarchy and the wage-gap. That theory there is not that but it is um...daft.
Reply 15
Original post by bassbabe
I've noticed this as well. It's because they're jealous of the really attractive girls, so they avoid complimenting them lol

Its stupid though haha. Also why would you do this for celebrities... whom u dont even know. Brb Jessica Alba is "your average Mexican girl" and Rosamund Pike is "sooooo pretty".

leemz
Yeah I get you and you make a lot of sense tbh, itd quite sad really because I just wish all girls could just do them and let others be....But then again with girls being insecure,I just guess they big up the ugly girls who obviously aren't ugly because no one is, because they want to make themselves feel pretty....

Yeah maybe I dont mean to rag on people for being insecure..

Black Cat
I would say that it would probably come down to validation as average/ugly girls tend to put themselves down a lot even when they're looking perfectly fine. I've also noticed that most girls will give compliments regardless if the person in question is unattractive or not so I guess there trying to be nice too.

I can understand maybe doing it for friends who might be insecure.

But most of the girls I know go on about having "girl crushes" on 6-7/10 celebrities too (lmao) who look just like them. Some also put down celebrities whom guys actually like

I honestly think they are trying to "lower the bar" much like guys who insist girls only care about personality
Reply 16
Original post by Nosnip_9
I thin kit's more of an attempt to up the person's confidence. If someone's insecure about how they look it's nice for someone to complement them

Maybe but why would you do that for celebrities then

Also some of the girls I know who get the most compliments, whilst maybe not the most attractive to guys are not insecure, very popular and catty actually

Retired_Messiah
Facebook-wise, it seems to be just based off how many friends the girl has. Hoes be lyin to their friendos about what the they feel about the person's looks in the comments for reasons unknown.

That said, don't state your rates as though they're fact, it's all pretty subjective, I know for a fact that my 7s are some of my m8s' 9 or 10s

Nah anti-feminist is arguing against rape culture, patriarchy and the wage-gap. That theory there is not that but it is um...daft.

Yeah FB is just full of attention seekers

Most female celebrities are good looking, some of the ones mentioned are not though, I'm not going to mention too many names but lena dunham for instance. Plus its not just "bigging up" average celebs but putting down the hot ones too

It is anti feminist lmao, feminists hate it when you suggest women are competitive over looks
Reply 17
Isn't it because when a girl complements another girl, they are expecting a complement back; but when it's a more attractive girl I guess they feel like they won't get a reply??
Reply 18
Original post by mmms95
I think you're thinking too much into it tbh, girls don't compliment girls when they don't mean it (an it can be obvious if they don't and are just saying it to make fun) nor to "lower" competition (unless there are few girls who actually think like that and that would be weird) Also the part where you said they don't compliment 10/10's to lower the bar, I don't think this is true. The girls that are 10/10 know they are pretty and get enough attention from guys to figure it out so while other girls might not go out of the way to compliment them much it doesn't mean they don't think they are pretty.

Speaking in general terms of course. Sometimes, some girls don't compliment those who are really pretty because they could be jealous as well.

I can understand girls complimenting close friends more. What about celebrities tho? (Not compliments then but just when watching TV. The guys in a group will acknowledge the nicest looking ones, the girls will start praising the average one who probably looks like them).

Also its mean to tell another girl who looks bad she looks good (e.g. if she has too much makeup).

cmfunk
Isn't it because when a girl complements another girl, they are expecting a complement back; but when it's a more attractive girl I guess they feel like they won't get a reply??

What about for celebrities though, see the person i replied to in the rest of this post
Reply 19
Original post by Mystery.
They feel intimidated by "really hot" girls.

I agree why be intimidated by a celebrity tho

A Gentleman
They need more ego boosting?

Yeah half the girls I know who insist 6-7/10s instead of actually hot celebrities are the bees knees look like them themselves. Its obvious lol

Latest