The Student Room Group

Advice on A-Levels

Hi!!
I'm currently in year 11, but I'm thinking about taking Sociology, Psychology and Health and Social Care in Sixth Form/College.

Any advice on what career I can pursue with those A-Levels? I want to be a primary school teacher, so are those three subjects any good for that??

Also if anyone's doing any of those subjects, would you mind telling me what they're like?

Thank you. (:
Reply 1
Original post by Lorraine13
Hi!!
I'm currently in year 11, but I'm thinking about taking Sociology, Psychology and Health and Social Care in Sixth Form/College.

Any advice on what career I can pursue with those A-Levels? I want to be a primary school teacher, so are those three subjects any good for that??

Also if anyone's doing any of those subjects, would you mind telling me what they're like?

Thank you. (:

If you're looking at a specific career/degree, poke around on some uni websites (not just one or two because they may have varying entry requirements) and look at what subjects they need or strongly recommend before you pick your A levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Lau14
If you're looking at a specific career/degree, poke around on some uni websites (not just one or two because they may have varying entry requirements) and look at what subjects they need or strongly recommend before you pick your A levels.

Oh okay, thank you so much!! :smile:
Hi!!

Thank you. (:

Hello :smile:

I did both Psychology and Sociology at AS last year, and loved both of them! Psychology is also respected by universities - some even class it as a science A2. They are fairly hard though. For Sociology there are lots of names to remember and for Psychology there are percentages and other statistics to remember in the studies. But they are both very rewarding and, I think, they have made me more open minded in my approach to things. The information learnt is also relatable, especially in Sociology when we learnt about Education. They are useful in life, not like learning Pythagoras in Maths which most of us will never need to use.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
Hello :smile:

I did both Psychology and Sociology at AS last year, and loved both of them! Psychology is also respected by universities - some even class it as a science A2. They are fairly hard though. For Sociology there are lots of names to remember and for Psychology there are percentages and other statistics to remember in the studies. But they are both very rewarding and, I think, they have made me more open minded in my approach to things. The information learnt is also relatable, especially in Sociology when we learnt about Education. They are useful in life, not like learning Pythagoras in Maths which most of us will never need to use.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you this really helped!! :smile: Does Sociology or Psychology have anything to do with GCSE Core Science?? Because I got a D, but I'm doing Additional, so it might become a C(?). Sorry if it's a weird question..
Thank you this really helped!! :smile: Does Sociology or Psychology have anything to do with GCSE Core Science?? Because I got a D, but I'm doing Additional, so it might become a C(?). Sorry if it's a weird question..

Not really, I also did Core and Additional Science and can't think of any possible crossovers except maybe in Physiological Psychology if you do the AQA board... I'd say there's more Maths than Science in Psychology, and nothing in Sociology that would cause you any bother :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by emiloujess
Not really, I also did Core and Additional Science and can't think of any possible crossovers except maybe in Physiological Psychology if you do the AQA board... I'd say there's more Maths than Science in Psychology, and nothing in Sociology that would cause you any bother :smile:

Oh okay thank you :smile: you've made me feel better about my grade, since there's no relation :smile:
Oh okay thank you :smile: you've made me feel better about my grade, since there's no relation :smile:

Hey, im doing psychology AS at the moment and one topic is biology psychology. It is all about biology (neourones, the nervous system etc) i got a B in gcse biology and i find this topic of psychology very difficult and it is a very big topic. It might depend on the exam board though, im doing edexcel, You should research and read the syllabus.
Hey a few years ago I read this blog post on Tumblr. It helped me a lot when I was deciding on subjects to take at A-Level. The blogger covered different kinds of degrees and their most appropriate subjects combinations. Check it out. It could help you the way it helped me :smile:
The blog was teachonomist.tumblr.com
Reply 9
Original post by sarah1001
Hey, im doing psychology AS at the moment and one topic is biology psychology. It is all about biology (neourones, the nervous system etc) i got a B in gcse biology and i find this topic of psychology very difficult and it is a very big topic. It might depend on the exam board though, im doing edexcel, You should research and read the syllabus.

Are there different types of psycholigy to do or is it one big subject? Thank you for your respone :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Jokernaut218
Hey a few years ago I read this blog post on Tumblr. It helped me a lot when I was deciding on subjects to take at A-Level. The blogger covered different kinds of degrees and their most appropriate subjects combinations. Check it out. It could help you the way it helped me :smile:
The blog was teachonomist.tumblr.com

I definitely will check it out :smile: Thank you so much!!
Are there different types of psycholigy to do or is it one big subject? Thank you for your respone :smile:

its one subject but there are quite a few topics within the subject so in my syllabus, we have to learn about criminology psychology, child psychology, health psychology, social psychology, biological psychology and moreee.
Reply 12
its one subject but there are quite a few topics within the subject so in my syllabus, we have to learn about criminology psychology, child psychology, health psychology, social psychology, biological psychology and moreee.

Oh right. Do you think taking Psychology would be useful for becoming a Primary School Teacher??
I really appreciate your information and help :smile:
Definitely!
Your welcome :smile:
Reply 14
Definitely!
Your welcome :smile:

Yay haha now I got one subject down, 2 more to go :smile:
I definitely will check it out :smile: Thank you so much!!

Alrighty, I hope it helped you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest