The Student Room Group

Medicine Resit Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FutureMed4321
Thats a very interesting selection. I've never really considered Lancaster and Exeter. But I've heard you have to have extenuating circumstances for Lancaster? :smile:

I would never apply to Liverpool this year, they are being evil by not telling us anything about the UKCAT. But I spoke to them and the lady on the phone made it seem like they will use heavily with a high cut off. :frown:

I emailed the admissions tutor at Lancaster about it and she didn't mention extenuating circumstances?

Yeah Ikr I wish they were more transparent about it :/

Idk we don't really have much choice as resitters with less than AAB/ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile
So bloody annoying. Any inquiry you make, they give u a link or really vague answers.
Original post by Shimmyy
How have I only just found this thread? I got the grades needed for Medicine however didn't get any offers last year, really wish I put the effort into the UKCAT & BMAT.

What's the general consensus of Bristol? I want to apply there yet I assume it is very competitive due to them not needing the UKCAT.

It's gonna be pretty flipping competitive this year as the only uni without an entrance test. How did you do in your UKCAT?

Also who's going to Liverpool's open day?
Have you guys started writing your PS?
I'm so stuck no idea how to change mine from last, and I know that i need to because that's what let me down last year :frown:
Original post by shiney101
I'm so stuck no idea how to change mine from last, and I know that i need to because that's what let me down last year :frown:

No not yet and I really don't know what to write/cut out from my last one aha it'll be such a struggle😩😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Is it worth sitting the BMAT for just one uni? Lancaster, Soton, exeter and liverpool are the only ones that would accept resitting with my grades. But idk its probably more important to prioritse practicing for my UKCAT for three unis rather than BMAT for one.
Original post by fotmmc
Is it worth sitting the BMAT for just one uni? Lancaster, Soton, exeter and liverpool are the only ones that would accept resitting with my grades. But idk its probably more important to prioritse practicing for my UKCAT for three unis rather than BMAT for one.

I'm thinking the same, I'm also pretty busy around the bmat exam and idk if I'll have time to prepare properly :/ and I don't want to fail it like I did last year :P

I think it's up to you, do you think you could do well on it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 187
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I'm thinking the same, I'm also pretty busy around the bmat exam and idk if I'll have time to prepare properly :/ and I don't want to fail it like I did last year :P

I think it's up to you, do you think you could do well on it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe bc you did it last year you'll prepare better this year? At least we can decide after the ukcat.

Idk i doubt it, i did one mock last year and decided not to do it xD besides i know nothing about the way scoring works or the exam itself. I was also thinking maybe Lancaster would be lenient about the scores considering they only introduced it this year.. Fingers crossed anyways
Original post by fotmmc

I would say that depends a bit on how well you do in the UKCAT. If your score in this is competitive, then there is less pressure to sit the BMAT, if not, it may seriously increase your chances
Original post by fotmmc
Maybe bc you did it last year you'll prepare better this year? At least we can decide after the ukcat.

Idk i doubt it, i did one mock last year and decided not to do it xD besides i know nothing about the way scoring works or the exam itself. I was also thinking maybe Lancaster would be lenient about the scores considering they only introduced it this year.. Fingers crossed anyways

Idk maybe but I think it's an easier exam to prepare for but actually harder to do well in?

I read that Lancaster aren't scoring personal statements anymore and they're inviting the people with the highest bmat scores for an interview? As long as they meet some requirements

http://www.myfuturewise.org.uk/pdf/UK%20Medical%20Schools%202015%20Tests%20Work%20Exp%20Ivs%20pdf%20final.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
Yeah I think I'll see how the ukcat goes then decide from there, thanks (:

And to Saywhatyoumean- if that's true then it takes the pee, there'll be way too much pressure to do well if it's all they're using D: but if it's not too hard to prepare for then there's nothing to lose right

Good luck anyways
Original post by fotmmc

I'm doing this for BSMS. You have time to prepare for BMAT. When's your UKCAT? See how you do in that I would say, but if those are the only unis that will accept you, I would do it. That's one more uni.

Original post by shiney101

I'm trying to add the whole needs to reflect thing and I'm so lost... Like what am I supposed to say ffs, I'll work harder this time and try not to burn out? Gah.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, I'm a medicine reapplicant (got no offers last year :frown:). I'm confused over how to include gap years plans into my personal statement - especially as they aren't finalised (ie. I haven't got a job yet or signed up for Gap medics)

heeelppppp meeehhh
UKCAT in 4 days I'm getting really nervous now
Original post by H.Ibrahim

Ahh good luck, mines tomorrow and I'm terrified :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Original post by Pink.1000
Hey guys, I'm a medicine reapplicant (got no offers last year :frown:). I'm confused over how to include gap years plans into my personal statement - especially as they aren't finalised (ie. I haven't got a job yet or signed up for Gap medics)

heeelppppp meeehhh

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us (;
If you definitely plan to sign up for gap medics and youre sure you'll do it, just add it in, your plans don't have to be fixed but just write what you plan to do and say you're currently organising blah and blah. Besides you have until October so I'm sure a few plans will be confirmed. And same I've been looking for a HCA job but they all need some NVQCSDJS quals which I clearly don't have :frown:
Reply 196
Original post by AnnekaChan173
I'm doing this for BSMS. You have time to prepare for BMAT. When's your UKCAT? See how you do in that I would say, but if those are the only unis that will accept you, I would do it. That's one more uni.

Yeah a that's true,it's mainly bc it seems harder than the UKCAT though. It's on the 5th October, when's yours?
Ahh good luck, mines tomorrow and I'm terrified :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by H.Ibrahim

Good luck guys!!! You'll be fine. Breaaaaaathe. It's so important hahaha!

Original post by fotmmc
Don't worry, it happens to the best of us (;
If you definitely plan to sign up for gap medics and youre sure you'll do it, just add it in, your plans don't have to be fixed but just write what you plan to do and say you're currently organising blah and blah. Besides you have until October so I'm sure a few plans will be confirmed. And same I've been looking for a HCA job but they all need some NVQCSDJS quals which I clearly don't have :frown:

#NVQCSDJS 😂😂😂 I'm actually dying. Good luck for your UKCAT! For HCA jobs, look at NHS jobs and Gumtree~ that's where I found mine, and I didn't have an NVQ. Yeah, I've done my UKCAT already!

Original post by Pink.1000

heeelppppp meeehhh

Hi I've signed up to gap medics, if you do it, tell me! I'd much rather go with someone thx
I emailed the admissions tutor at Lancaster about it and she didn't mention extenuating circumstances?

Yeah Ikr I wish they were more transparent about it :/

Idk we don't really have much choice as resitters with less than AAB/ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats so true. The ideal grades would be ABB and AAB like you said :frown:

And thanks, I may look more into Lancaster! :redface:
Could anybody give me some advise please. A2 results AAC ( C in chemistry). Re-sittting chemistry this year, also volunteer one day/week at a hospital. Had Liverpool offer this year, but didn't get the grades. Which would be the best University to apply to? Many thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending