The Student Room Group

For art students applying for universities in 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haannahbee
Hi!

I'm really stuck when it comes to what I'm doing next year (2016 entry). I know I want to do a design based course rather than fine art etc but I'm unsure of which area I would like to go into. For this reason I think the best option for me is a Foundation.

Problem is, I'm from Northern Ireland and the courses here are limited. I would love to go to England/Scotland but I'm finding it hard to find foundation degrees. Also I am not sure if I would be able to get student loans/finance if its just for a foundation. I will have to pay for living expenses, accommodation etc. Has anyone else had the same problem as me??? Would I be better looking for an undergrad course with a year 0???

What uni's would you recommend for foundation or year 0??
You won't get finance for a foundation course, unfortunately, although it is free from fees if you are under 19. For that reason, it's very common to do it at your local college and universities aren't snobbish about this for that reason. It's all about the portfolio, not where you produced it. There are degrees where a foundation is not necessary but they tend not to be at the better art schools, and you will be at a disadvantage compared with applicants who have done one. Scottish art schools start at year 0, but understandably competition at the likes of ECA and GSA is very stiff. If you can do a foundation in NI, you'll be better off.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You won't get finance for a foundation course, unfortunately, although it is free from fees if you are under 19. For that reason, it's very common to do it at your local college and universities aren't snobbish about this for that reason. It's all about the portfolio, not where you produced it. There are degrees where a foundation is not necessary but they tend not to be at the better art schools, and you will be at a disadvantage compared with applicants who have done one. Scottish art schools start at year 0, but understandably competition at the likes of ECA and GSA is very stiff. If you can do a foundation in NI, you'll be better off.

Thank you so much for all your help!
Looks like I might be stuck here for another year, as long as it helps in the long run.
Original post by haannahbee
Thank you so much for all your help!
Looks like I might be stuck here for another year, as long as it helps in the long run.

I think you are right. It's only a short time and many art students (my son included, and his art teachers too!) say it is the best year of their life so far, so look on the bright side.:smile:
Reply 143
Im currently in my 2nd year of BTEC Lvl3 Art & Design course and will be applying for 2016 entry. I would like to study graphic design & illustration or graphic communication, preferably outside London. Can anyone give me any uni recommendations? Also, should i start working on my portfolio now and when do portfolio interviews take place? My teachers at college are really slow with everything and don't know anything.

Thanks
Original post by p.m
Im currently in my 2nd year of BTEC Lvl3 Art & Design course and will be applying for 2016 entry. I would like to study graphic design & illustration or graphic communication, preferably outside London. Can anyone give me any uni recommendations? Also, should i start working on my portfolio now and when do portfolio interviews take place? My teachers at college are really slow with everything and don't know anything.

Thanks

ECA, GSA, Loughborough, Falmouth, Brighton, Leeds, Northumbria to pick a few at random.

Portfolio interviews are usually January to March-ish, after the initial shortlisting via digital portfolios. You should be working on your portfolio from now onwards, really. Here's some advice about what to do:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
Reply 145
Original post by IzKujore
I think I realised today that I might be better suited for illustration instead of graphic design lol. Not 100% sure at the moment though. Check out my work and you can see what I mean: https://www.behance.net/israelkujore

your work is dope man
love the Toro Y Moi illustration

Im applying to Uni for 2016
Which university did you end up going to?
The guide to applying for Art courses her on TSR is practically empty.
This sort of article should provide lots of useful advice for applicants, and any of you who have been through the process are just the right folk to write it,

Go to this page, click on edit and away you go : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Fine_Art_Degree

Quick Reply

Latest