The Student Room Group

Most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED degrees

Scroll to see replies

Overrated- Law (Dont do it! you will find it ridiculously hard to become a solicitor/barrister and, even if you are lucky enough to win the lottery that is landing a training contract/pupillage, the amount of butt kissing you would have had to do to reach that point will make your lips look as sore and pink as a pigs inflamed arse!)

Underrated- engineering,computer science
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Overrated- Law (Dont do it! you will find it ridiculously hard to become a solicitor/barrister and, even if you are lucky enough to win the lottery that is landing a training contract/pupillage, the amount of butt kissing you would have had to do to reach that point will make your lips look as sore and pink as a pigs inflamed arse!)

People always make this assumption, but not everyone who studies law wants to go into to the legal profession. Law is useful for so much more than that. It's a strong academic subject requiring critical thought and the absorption and appreciation of high levels of complex information. Along with an abundance of legal knowledge, this puts law grads in a perfect position to apply for jobs in business and put in competitive applications for grad schemes.

I think people who make this assumption suppose that once law grads have failed to become solicitors or barristers, they just roll into a ball and retreat into irrelevance. No, they can still do a whole range of things with their degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Is that a slight upon all students practicing law? Is it?

You stuck-up, upward nose pointing medicine ponces - think you're so much better than everybody else :tongue:

Just messing by the way.

Hahaha:biggrin:

Sure:wink:
Underrated- Food and Nutrition, which is what I'll be starting this month.
Reply 44
Original post by callum_law
People always make this assumption, but not everyone who studies law wants to go into to the legal profession. Law is useful for so much more than that. It's a strong academic subject requiring critical thought and the absorption and appreciation of high levels of complex information. Along with an abundance of legal knowledge, this puts law grads in a perfect position to apply for jobs in business and put in competitive applications for grad schemes.

I think people who make this assumption suppose that once law grads have failed to become solicitors or barristers, they just roll into a ball and retreat into irrelevance. No, they can still do a whole range of things with their degree.

But a lot do try and fail to become lawyers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
But a lot do try and fail to become lawyers

That's irrelevant to the point I am making.

How do you convince an employer from a different field, say banking, to take you on if you do law mate?
How do you convince an employer from a different field, say banking, to take you on if you do law mate?

I just explained to you why employers rate law grads highly. They have studied a strong academic subject and are therefore highly capable, alongside having some useful legal knowledge in their noggin.
Reply 48
That's irrelevant to the point I am making.

You were ignoring the point he was making.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Overrated: Law
Underrated: Accounting and Finance and Pharmacy
Original post by justag
You were ignoring the point he was making.

The point she made was that a) law is overrated because b) it is ridiculously hard to become a solicitor or barrister.

I responded by explaining that the argument made was flawed because a) not everyone who studies law wants to become a lawyer; and b) should people not want to pursue a legal career or they have not been successful in pursuing one, a law degree offers excellent career prospects outside of the legal profession. That directly related to the point the other poster made about the utility of a law degree. What you are suggesting is that I go off on a tangent rather than address the point made.
I just explained to you why employers rate law grads highly. They have studied a strong academic subject and are therefore highly capable, alongside having some useful legal knowledge

Law is really not challenging. Nutshells will get you through. I dont see what they can bring to the table in terms of other fields.they dont have unique knowledge really and are not in demand really. Every degree uses 'critical thinking'. How do you even sell that? Anyone can learn,but no one really cares about the principle of donoghue v stevenson
Reply 52
The point she made was that a) law is overrated because b) it is ridiculously hard to become a solicitor or barrister.

I responded by explaining that the argument made was flawed because a) not everyone who studies law wants to become a lawyer; and b) should people not want to pursue a legal career or they have not been successful in pursuing one, a law degree offers excellent career prospects outside of the legal profession. That directly related to the point the other poster made about the utility of a law degree. What you are suggesting is that I go off on a tangent rather than address the point made.

I'm on my phone; you expect me to care and bother checking genders?

Most people who study law do aim to become lawyers, let's be honest. Many who fail may say they never wanted to in the first place to save face. It's not known to be a particularly interesting degree for the majority; it has a reputation for being dry. Other more interesting alternatives that link more directly to a career in a business environment would be: management, economics, business. If you wanted to work in business and that's your aim, you'd study one of those as they're more directly relevant and most people would consider them more interesting.

There are high expectations of a future high paying career in law for many law applicants. Most don't achieve that. So the fact that a huge number of law students fail to become lawyers, let alone well paid ones, is hugely relevant to the fact it is overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Banks don't give a **** what you studied mate, as long as it's an actual subject.

Obviously, this won't apply to the quant roles, that predominantly hire Maths/CS/Physics PhDs. But they represent a tiny proportion of a bank.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
I'm on my phone; you expect me to care and bother checking genders?

Most people who study law do aim to become lawyers, let's be honest. Many who fail may say they never wanted to in the first place to save face. It's not known to be a particularly interesting degree for the majority; it has a reputation for being dry. Other more interesting alternatives that link more directly to a career in a business environment would be: management, economics, business. If you wanted to work in business and that's your aim, you'd study one of those as they're more directly relevant and most people would consider them more interesting.

There are high expectations of a future high paying career in law for many law applicants. Most don't achieve that. So the fact that a huge number of law students fail to become lawyers, let alone well paid ones, is hugely relevant to the fact it is overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, the aforementioned employers don't care about what degree you study - this is the case for the majority of grad schemes in fact.

It's almost discouraged to do an undergrad business degree if you want to do consulting/IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by Princepieman
Again, the aforementioned employers don't care about what degree you study - this is the case for the majority of grad schemes in fact.

It's almost discouraged to do an undergrad business degree if you want to do consulting/IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why? i thought things like Warwick business school were targeted by IBs
Reply 56
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not talking about the point of view of employers.

My point is that a sixth form student who wants to work in business, is more likely to want to study one of the degrees I mentioned, rather than law.

And your last statement isn't correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Meninism
why? i thought things like Warwick business school were targeted by IBs

No, Warwick itself is targeted for undergrad. Its B-school is only targeted for postgrad recrutment - which is separate to undergrad.
Original post by justag
I'm not talking about the point of view of employers.

My point is that a sixth form student who wants to work in business, is more likely to want to study one of the degrees I mentioned, rather than law.

And your last statement isn't correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is. I've been in about 5 banks for various programs, and the number of business grads I've seen is nominal in comparison to Econ, Maths, History, etc. An MBA is different however.

Your point makes no sense, why should someone have to committ to a business degree when they can quite literally study anything they would prefer, then head into business? You don't get kudos for studying a business related degree in grad scheme applications.
Original post by TardigradeFan
Earth sciences is underrated. I know not everyone finds rocks appealing, but it's a really broad subject with good career prospects and very high student satisfaction.

I think rocks are bloody marvelous.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending