The Student Room Group

Should Idris Elba Play the next James Bond!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by George Costanza
Racism being the main factor behind the opposition to Idris was only confirmed to me by Horowitz' suggestion that Idris is too street. The most "street" role he has played was in The Wire, in which he was the refined, cultured man amongst the gangsters. He generally comes across as refined, stylish and oozing suaveness. The street comment would appear to come purely from racial stereotyping.

It is only if I played Bond that there would truly be an issue, as all future attempts at the role would be rendered obsolete.

Tbf you gotta take Mr Horowitz with a pinch of salt at the best of times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
You're not listening to anything I write are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you read, or understood my reply. Not choosing an amazing actor based on the color of his skin is complete and utter idiocy. Idris Elba is sauve, he's smooth, he's a good actor and would do a good job playing Bond. Allowing white actors to portray black characters, but not allowing the vice versa to happen is completely ridiculous.
Original post by elizah
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/04/25-minority-characters-that-hollywood-whitewashed/warm-bodies
This isn't something new. White actors have been playing POC characters for a long time. There is never any sort of any outrage when racebending occurs. It's hypocrisy at its best, pure racism at worst. Idris Elba is, like I said, objectively an extremely good actor and would do an amazing job playing Bond.

Am I not entitled to my opinion that James Bond should remain a white character? Or does that make me a racist supposedly? Idris Elba is not an objectively good actor - he is a subjectively good actor. You can't simply claim your opinion is objective.
Original post by SLClegg
Discuss!

Denied. Bond is a white man with white parents - his dad is Scottish and his mum is Swiss. It'd be a ridiculous casting decision for this reason.
Reply 44
Original post by elizah
I don't think you read, or understood my reply. Not choosing an amazing actor based on the color of his skin is complete and utter idiocy. Idris Elba is sauve, he's smooth, he's a good actor and would do a good job playing Bond. Allowing white actors to portray black characters, but not allowing the vice versa to happen is completely ridiculous.

I would be annoyed if they cast a black character for a white man too (unless it was something like Tropic Thunder because it's not a serious film), so your basis of me thinking along those lines is way out of whack. Plus I said myself that Elba is a great actor. But Bond is too established a character for most people to picture a black guy portraying him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reluire
Am I not entitled to my opinion that James Bond should remain a white character? Or does that make me a racist supposedly? Idris Elba is not an objectively good actor - he is a subjectively good actor. You can't simply claim your opinion is objective.

No, he's objectively a good actor. No serious acting agency would even try to claim that Idris Elba is a bad actor. That's ******* ridiculous.
I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, but yes, it does make you racist, because there are never any outrages when black characters are portrayed by whites. I honestly fail to understand why this would be an issue; Idris is an amazing actor, he's sauve, he's smooth, and if it wasn't for the color of his skin, him playing Bond would not be an issue. Not choosing a good actor because he's black is sheer idiocy.
Bond is just the 007 title passed to the next agent so I don't have a problem with a black bond. That being said, it should be because he's the best actor, not because a bunch of lefties want one of the greatest spy franchises of all time to preach diversity.

Personally I think there are better actors so I'll be gunning for Bennedict Cumberbatch or Tom Hiddleston.
To be honest I think it wouldn't work. From what I've seen of him I'm not entirely sure he'd fit the character. As for the whole "But he's black!" thing, I think its stupid when they do a massive overhaul of ANY character. Deadpool in X-men origins for example, taking the character whose known for being a wise cracking ********, and then making him mute was one of the dumbest things I've seen marvel do in a while. Same with Making Thor, a norse god, a woman, also a dumb idea. It'd certainly be an interesting idea of having Idris play him, but it'd honest just stir up more controversy than its worth.

My final point: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT MAKE BECKHAM THE NEXT BOND!
Original post by elizah
No, he's objectively a good actor. No serious acting agency would even try to claim that Idris Elba is a bad actor. That's f-ucking ridiculous.
I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, but yes, it does make you racist, because there are never any outrages when black characters are portrayed by whites. I honestly fail to understand why this would be an issue; Idris is an amazing actor, he's sauve, he's smooth, and if it wasn't for the color of his skin, him playing Bond would not be an issue. Not choosing a good actor because he's black is sheer idiocy.

Are you Idris Elba?
Original post by Reluire
Are you Idris Elba?

What gave me away?
Either way, I'm looking forward to Beasts of No Nation.

Thank goodness they didn't racebend that and have Tom Hardy play the African warlord!
(edited 8 years ago)
Ain't nobody got nothing to say about a 40 degree day
Reply 52
I think it'd be fine if he played him. It's not like there's any real coherency to the overarching Bond narrative anyway - who cares if he suddenly becomes a black man?
Original post by Mad Vlad
Denied. Bond is a white man with white parents - his dad is Scottish and his mum is Swiss. It'd be a ridiculous casting decision for this reason.

how? Im sure there are black scotts and swiss people in existence.. tbh I agree with keeping him white (Im black btw) but in all honesty your response is typical as you are known to have a disliking of all things non-white.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd quite like to see Elba as Bond, my top choice still goes to Fassbender though. James Bond is not a character defined by his race, maybe if they reverted back to 50s/60s era storylines it would be a larger sticking point but a modern Bond's ethnicity would be largely irrelevant aside from a few limited scenarios, which they can avoid by setting the movies elsewhere on the other 90% of the planet.

Original post by Andy98

B: I'm all for equality, but I'm not quite sure how they'd incorporate Bond turning black into the storyline:s-smilie:
Posted from TSR Mobile

The different Bonds don't exist in the same continuity, they aren't intended to be the exact same person or related people in the same world, and instead exist as self-contained characters and stories. Think of it as a series with a record number of reboots- Christian Bale, George Clooney and Michael Keaton have all played Batman but the movies in which they play him all stand independently from each other.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think Idris Elba would make a great bond, hes an excellent actor! honestly wish people would just give it a chance lol (have a friend who said they would never watch the movie if bond was played by a black dude lol)
Original post by Treypound
how? Im sure there are black scotts and swiss people in existence.. tbh I agree with keeping him white (Im black btw) but in all honesty your response is typical as you are known to have a disliking of all things non-white.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How ****ing dare you! :mad: How do I? I think you better produce some ****ing evidence to back up this extremely offensive and wholly incorrect statement.
Original post by SLClegg
Discuss!

what is wrong with him playing it
*sigh*

I knew this thread would end up being "Youre a racist!" "No Im not!" "YEs I am!" blah blah F*cking Blah. The bloody SJWs need to go back to tumblr...
Reply 59
I'm black myself and don't agree James Bond should be played by a black actor. It just doesn't look right, the character has always been white and it should stay like that!

Quick Reply