The Student Room Group

Should Idris Elba Play the next James Bond!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miser
I think it'd be fine if he played him. It's not like there's any real coherency to the overarching Bond narrative anyway - who cares if he suddenly becomes a black man?

Nobody should care but at the same time he shouldn't get it just for filling a diversity box.

Fassbender is brilliant but I don't get the bond vibe from him. I just don't think he has the classy Englishman feel.
Reply 61
Original post by Mad Vlad
How ****ing dare you! :mad: How do I? I think you better produce some ****ing evidence to back up this extremely offensive and wholly incorrect statement.

Let's keep this thread in good spirits please chaps!
Original post by MBap1
I'm black myself and don't agree James Bond should be played by a black actor. It just doesn't look right, the character has always been white and it should stay like that!

I don't get why a creative process like filmmaking needs to be restricted just because "it's always been that way", especially when there's no rational reason beyond that for rejecting change. I certainly don't think they should arbitrarily give the role to a black guy just to go "look, we did something different!", but perceptions of any part of a character can change, with James Bond being a prime example of a character that's been portrayed in numerous radically different ways over the span of decades and I don't see why race should be somehow an important enough trait that it needs to be preserved when it has been almost entirely irrelevant for the entire life of the character.
Reply 63
Original post by Rakas21
Nobody should care but at the same time he shouldn't get it just for filling a diversity box.

I agree. My stance is that his racial heritage shouldn't count against him - but it shouldn't count for him either.
Original post by Rakas21
Fassbender is brilliant but I don't get the bond vibe from him. I just don't think he has the classy Englishman feel.

In my opinion he gets the classy Englishman feel absolutely bang on in Inglorious Basterds :yep: Tone down the stiff upper lip slightly from that and he could easily pull it off.
It's getting a bit boring seeing the same type of actor play Bond. They need to spice things up, either Idris Elba plays Bond or change anything.

The character is getting repetitive, it may sound silly but Bond is a fictional character and therefore he can be changed. Idris is obviously the first step (hopefully).
Original post by Optimum_
It's getting a bit boring seeing the same type of actor play Bond. They need to spice things up, either Idris Elba plays Bond or change anything.

The character is getting repetitive, it may sound silly but Bond is a fictional character and therefore he can be changed. Idris is obviously the first step (hopefully).

People may find the character boring, but I dont know how long a "Oh, we're making him a black guy!" gimmick will last.
Original post by SLClegg
Let's keep this thread in good spirits please chaps!

Not with accusations like that I won't. I'm ****ing furious.
Original post by Mad Vlad
How ****ing dare you! :mad: How do I? I think you better produce some ****ing evidence to back up this extremely offensive and wholly incorrect statement.

lol

Class signature.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't get the 'I don't see him as James Bond since he's done gritty, street roles'. He's an actor, it's his job to play different parts and if he's had more opportunity to play grittier roles in the past, it doesn't suddenly impede on his ability to play a sophisticated, suave character. Saying that, I'm pretty indifferent about who gets the role, as long as they're better than Daniel Craig.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 70
I always thought they were in the same continuity because they're based on the books (if they haven't run out of books.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
The reason I think he shouldn't be chosen to portray James Bond is because contrary to how proponents THINK they are behaving, many want Idris Elba to be chosen purely on an ideological basis. You will find that these people have not watched James Bond, do not know the plots of any of the films and have not considered the ramifications of the character's ethnicity on central plot-lines.

It was observable with every recent Doctor Who recast "Should we have a Black Doctor?" "Should we have a female Doctor?" Both Doctor Who and James Bond are established series that are over 50 years old, it simply does not compute to change such basic variables. Already you see shots of historical Britain that appear to have been filmed in modern day East London full of ethnic diversity. Frankly such historical inaccuracy is poor cinema. Actors should either be chosen based on the necessity of historical appearance or based on their merit as an actor (depending on role requirements), not simply to appease bizarre racial quotas aimed at fulfilling racial representation which in reality discriminates against actors who may be of superior quality and of a nation's 'native' ethnicity. It really sets a foul precedent for other sections of society.

Frankly, Idris Elba is only a hot topic when it comes to James Bond because of unseen forces, generating progressiveness spouting hype aimed at overturning some sort of perceived old-fashioned rules. It reminds me of the childish 6th formers I studied with who made it their mission to choose the most rowdy and unpleasant boy in the school to be selected as 'head boy' just for the sake of it."Wouldn't it be MAD if we got a Black guy to be James Bond! Imagine what people would say! Oh it would be such a laugh, think of all the attention we would collectively get!"

All this nonsense has no place in an empirical society.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Roofas
The reason I think he shouldn't be chosen to portray James Bond is because contrary to how proponents THINK they are behaving, many want Idris Elba to be chosen purely on an ideological basis. You will find that these people have not watched James Bond, do not know the plots of any of the films or consider the ramifications of the characters ethnicity on central plot-lines.

It was observable with every recent Doctor Who recast "Should we have a Black Doctor?" "Should we have a female Doctor?" Both Doctor Who and James Bond are established series that are over 50 years old, it simply does not compute to change such basic variables. Already you see shots of historical Britain that appear to have been filmed in modern day East London full of ethnic diversity. Frankly such historical inaccuracy is poor cinema. Actors should either be chosen based on the necessary of historical appearance or based on their merit as an actor (depending on role requirements), not simply to appease bizarre racial quotas aimed at fulfilling racial representation which in reality discriminates against actors who may be of superior quality and of a nation's 'native' ethnicity. It really sets a foul precedent for other sections of society.

Frankly, Idris Elba is only a hot topic when it comes to James Bond because of unseen forces, generating progressiveness spouting hype aimed at overturning some sort of perceived old-fashioned rules. It reminds me of the childish 6th formers I studied with who made it their mission to choose the most rowdy and unpleasant boy in the school to be selected as 'head boy' just for the sake of it."Wouldn't it be MAD if we got a Black guy to be James Bond! Imagine what people would say! Oh it would be such a laugh, think of all the attention we would collectively get!"

All this nonsense has no place in an empirical society.

Couldn't put it better myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whitewashing has been happening in the industry for years - look at Emma Stone playing a partially Chinese character Allison Ng in Aloha.
Reply 74
Perhaps, but I would prefer Tom Hardy
Original post by Andy98
I always thought they were in the same continuity because they're based on the books (if they haven't run out of books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, each Bond actor's films are pretty much standalone from the others (even within a single Bond's movies they often be completely isolated stories), and while a lot are adaoted from the books there's also a lot that are only loose adaptations and some which are completely new stories, for example all of Brosnan's films are entirely original stories not related to any books (they also cast M as a woman for the first time in the series).
Reply 76
Yeah.

I'd love him to play Bond, to be honest. Him or Damian Lewis seem favourites.
hell yea
Original post by elizah
Where was the outrage when Katniss Everdeen, a girl described as being olive-skinned and having black hair was played by Jennifer Lawrence, a white actor? This is so common that it even has a name, racebending, but apparently, that's fine when it happens to black characters. Idris Elba is objectively a good actor.

The difference is that Jennifer Lawrence was the first to play the role. Whereas in the case of James Bond there have been many actors, all of whom have been white.
Original post by will_jg
The difference is that Jennifer Lawrence was the first to play the role. Whereas in the case of James Bond there have been many actors, all of whom have been white.

This makes zero sense. The character is olive skinned and has black hair and therefore the casting directors should have chosen an olive skinned female with black hair. Being fine with a white girl playing Katniss but being outraged when an amazing actor who happens to be black tries out for Bond is hypocrisy.
I'm not necessarily saying that Elba should play James Bond, but I am saying that the best actor should be cast to play James Bond. Not choosing a good actor based on the color of his skin is sheer idiocy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending