The Student Room Group

Best course to do, to get into IB front office?

I messed up my AS and got BBCC, hopefully i can end up with AAB/ABB, whats the best university can i go to, so that i can get a front office job, and what course would be the best to do. Any advice would be great.

thanks
Original post by kf141998
I messed up my AS and got BBCC, hopefully i can end up with AAB/ABB, whats the best university can i go to, so that i can get a front office job, and what course would be the best to do. Any advice would be great.

thanks

Course doesn't matter. Choose something you enjoy and something you will thrive in.

The main issue is the university name, the targets: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial make up the majority of the in takes (70-80%) and then the semi-targets: Durham, Bristol, Notts, Manchester, KCL etc. round out the list.

It's important that you aim for one of the above unis, or at least somewhere like Loughborough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Course doesn't matter. Choose something you enjoy and something you will thrive in.

The main issue is the university name, the targets: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial make up the majority of the in takes (70-80%) and then the semi-targets: Durham, Bristol, Notts, Manchester, KCL etc. round out the list.

It's important that you aim for one of the above unis, or at least somewhere like Loughborough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks that was really helphful, do you think that it would be worth it to take a gap year and try to get AAA and apply for LSE or something?
thanks that was really helphful, do you think that it would be worth it to take a gap year and try to get AAA and apply for LSE or something?

That's quite literally what I'm doing, so yes.

EDIT: except I'm aiming for CS at the aforementioned unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Ignore that poster above.

Degree subject does matter a lot.

Do something quantitative, economics is ideal.

And yeah it's best to re-do your A-Levels and reapply.

But doubt you'd get into LSE with those AS Levels.
Reply 5
Original post by EdCohen
Ignore that poster above.

Degree subject does matter a lot.

Do something quantitative, economics is ideal.

And yeah it's best to re-do your A-Levels and reapply.

But doubt you'd get into LSE with those AS Levels.

After retakes, I will hopefully get ABB/AAB, but do AS grades matter if you get AAA at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
That's quite literally what I'm doing, so yes.

EDIT: except I'm aiming for CS at the aforementioned unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subjects are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What subjects are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, Further Maths and Economics all in a year.
Reply 8
Would it be possible to get into City university with AAB for investment and risk management?
Would it be possible to get into City university with AAB for investment and risk management?

You'd probably need to be predicted AAA but you'd most likely get in with AAB on results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
You'd probably need to be predicted AAA but you'd most likely get in with AAB on results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I probably wont be predicted AAA, so i don't know what to do :frown:, i'll probably have to do economics at lough borough or something.

thanks

Work hard at university to achieve a first and then you have a good shot as anybody from a target plus you could upgrade by doing a master or a MBA somewhere with a better reputation then the universities you may get into. If you look at IB, there are stacks of banks and there is a huge variation between who and where they recruit. I would advise that you look at the universities where Citi Bank have went as they are less 'elitist' on universities then other banks - look on efinancial careers.
Reply 12
Original post by bobbybob12
Work hard at university to achieve a first and then you have a good shot as anybody from a target plus you could upgrade by doing a master or a MBA somewhere with a better reputation then the universities you may get into. If you look at IB, there are stacks of banks and there is a huge variation between who and where they recruit. I would advise that you look at the universities where Citi Bank have went as they are less 'elitist' on universities then other banks - look on efinancial careers.

i would have had a chance to get predicted AAA but, becuase i can only do retakes in june it messes everything up
Why is it everyone on TSR wants to be an friggin investment banker?! It's ridiculously competitive and your chances of success are like 0.0000000001% unless you go to Oxbridge and then you can only knock off a few zeroes from my estimate. My bro did it for a while and he hated it. Sure you may earn money but you are exploited, overworked, get no free time, and are vilified by the angry proletariat who hate bankers and lawyers alike.

/thread.
Original post by jambojim97
Why is it everyone on TSR wants to be an friggin investment banker?! It's ridiculously competitive and your chances of success are like 0.0000000001% unless you go to Oxbridge and then you can only knock off a few zeroes from my estimate. My bro did it for a while and he hated it. Sure you may earn money but you are exploited, overworked, get no free time, and are vilified by the angry proletariat who hate bankers and lawyers alike.

/thread.

This post was so pointless, I hope you felt good typing it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This post was so pointless, I hope you felt good typing it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: xx
Reply 16
Original post by jambojim97

/thread.

Money
Exit Ops
Prestige
Interest
Money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Money
Exit Ops
Prestige
Interest