The Student Room Group

Is it ever a good idea to contact an ex?

Scroll to see replies

I can attest, meeting your ex can end up in a gooood time :biggrin:
Reply 21
I keep in touch with a few of my exes. We're all friends and stuff
Reply 22
Original post by phunky_fresh
I'm going to stop fronting and say I didn't text him because I want to be friends with him. I texted him because I miss him alot, I wanted to see how he was doing etc..I'd love to patch things up and I don't feel like its a crazy idea. I'm not going to get my hopes up at this point mind you.

okay, thats fine. just make sure that you are both on the same page and you will be fine :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
It was a strange break up with no communication, so he contacted me after months of no contact and we've spoken on and off since. But no, we haven't seen eachother in over a year

Oh OK. Kind of like me and my ex. We didn't speak or see each other for ages.
Original post by Jebedee
I can attest, meeting your ex can end up in a gooood time :biggrin:

Lmao is that so
Original post by eemooz
okay, thats fine. just make sure that you are both on the same page and you will be fine :smile:

We'll see how it goes..There's only one way to find out
Reply 26
Original post by phunky_fresh
We'll see how it goes..There's only one way to find out

goodluck! are you guys still talking? if so he must be atleast a little interested i think
Original post by eemooz
goodluck! are you guys still talking? if so he must be atleast a little interested i think

Nope I responded to his message last night and asked how he was, he hasn't replied yet. He was probably busy last night. I doubt he would send me a text if didn't want anything to do with me. Thanks for the advice
Reply 28
Probably not a great idea if one side still harbours feelings. Getting back together is rare, although not unknown - William & Kate for goodness sake. But if the dust has truly settled and there is no bitterness, why not. A shame to lose friendship with someone you shared a lot with.
Original post by Zarek
Probably not a great idea if one side still harbours feelings. Getting back together is rare, although not unknown - William & Kate for goodness sake. But if the dust has truly settled and there is no bitterness, why not. A shame to lose friendship with someone you shared a lot with.

Thank you. No idea what he's thinking or feeling. The break up just didn't seem like he was completely done with me. I'm open to meeting new people and I have been doing so, but my mind keeps going back to him, I'm aware of where the issues lie and I won't sugarcoat that. It just seems a shame to go our separate ways. Now wondering if I should text him again.
Reply 30
[QUOTE=phunky_fresh;59423721]Thank you. No idea what he's thinking or feeling. The break up just didn't seem like he was completely done with me. I'm open to meeting new people and I have been doing so, but my mind keeps going back to him, I'm aware of where the issues lie and I won't sugarcoat that. It just seems a shame to go our separate ways. Now wondering if I should text him again.
Maybe go for it and see what happens. He'll suss your missing him and I guess respond according to his feeling. As long as you won't be hurt if it doesn't work out and can cope with a friendship option if on the cards. Good luck.
Original post by PusE
Didn't read the OP. But no. Never contact them. They're an ex for a reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really unnecessary projection of your one misfortunate experience. That just doesn't have to be the case. You can still be friends with an ex... It depends entirely on why you are ex's with them. Not all break-ups have to be one-sided. Some can be mutual.
Reply 32
Original post by TorpidPhil
That's a really unnecessary projection of your one misfortunate experience. That just doesn't have to be the case. You can still be friends with an ex... It depends entirely on why you are ex's with them. Not all break-ups have to be one-sided. Some can be mutual.

Ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on whether your ex is actually making an effort to keep up a conversation with you, and it sounds like they are. My ex said she just wanted to be friends after 3 weeks of dating, which I reluctantly accepted. She immediately started ignoring my messages, disappeared completely and didn't do anything to show that she wanted to be friends. I got fed up of making an effort so I deleted her number and never contacted the ***** again. On the other hand, it sounds quite amicable between you two and as you said it was a mutual break-up, it might not be so bad for you. Just stay on the side of caution and don't let the conversation get too deep. How long has it been since you separated?
Reply 34
Original post by asif007
Depends on whether your ex is actually making an effort to keep up a conversation with you, and it sounds like they are. My ex said she just wanted to be friends after 3 weeks of dating, which I reluctantly accepted. She immediately started ignoring my messages, disappeared completely and didn't do anything to show that she wanted to be friends. I got fed up of making an effort so I deleted her number and never contacted the ***** again. On the other hand, it sounds quite amicable between you two and as you said it was a mutual break-up, it might not be so bad for you. Just stay on the side of caution and don't let the conversation get too deep. How long has it been since you separated?

That is honestly the funniest thing I've heard on TSR in a while. Not the whole breaking up thing and the way she acted because that's pretty rubbish of her. The way you worded it. It was like you were calm at first, pissed off and angry in the middle, and back to being calm and caring at the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Demilb
That is honestly the funniest thing I've heard on TSR in a while. Not the whole breaking up thing and the way she acted because that's pretty rubbish of her. The way you worded it. It was like you were calm at first, pissed off and angry in the middle, and back to being calm and caring at the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't supposed to be funny. I was trying to turn what was a frustrating experience for me into something positive for OP to do. Staying friends with your ex is entirely possible, if they're not a *****.
Original post by Zarek
Maybe go for it and see what happens. He'll suss your missing him and I guess respond according to his feeling. As long as you won't be hurt if it doesn't work out and can cope with a friendship option if on the cards. Good luck.

I think the worst damage has already been done lol I don't think anything after the initial break up can compare, I'm keeping my guard up as per. Thank you
Original post by asif007

Yeah he was very responsive and asked lots of questions which surprised me. Oh wow seems very childish, maybe she changed her mind and didn't want to be friends? Or she may have just wanted to be spiteful :/

I wouldn't say the break up was mutual. I wasn't happy about his decision, however I could understand where he was coming from. I was very upset about it but it's not in my nature to be bitter. Our conversations have been very casual thus far. I'm thinking to text him again this weekend. We broke up over two months ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm tempted to contact an ex. But i don't think it would be beneficial. Just want to see how she is doing and if we could start a fresh.
Original post by GingerJoe
I'm tempted to contact an ex. But i don't think it would be beneficial. Just want to see how she is doing and if we could start a fresh.

Why did you break up?

Quick Reply