The Student Room Group

Most OVERRATED and UNDERRATED degrees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callum_law
When you've admitted that you're making deliberately stupid arguments to troll, you're hardly likely to get a rise out of me.

Because you can't come up with a decent argument. Bless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol at all these rtards saying how Law is overated, yet they have no clue.

Law is more prestigious and rigiourous than most degrees. Studying it at a top 5 school will give you solid prospects for a good career. I agree it's not prestigious to study it at say Salford University, but it attracts a particular type of student, who combined with having the credentials required to study at a prestigious university is worthy of the reputation studying Law has.
Law is ass
Reply 123
Original post by Princepieman
Banks don't give a **** what you studied mate, as long as it's an actual subject.

Obviously, this won't apply to the quant roles, that predominantly hire Maths/CS/Physics PhDs. But they represent a tiny proportion of a bank.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean "as long as it's an actual subject"??

Also, you mentioned that IB's target different universities for grad and post grad courses, what are the post grad target unis?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by tehforum
I'm laughing at those who think Law is overrated.

PS - I did study Law, but you'll need to study the subject before you can make such an absurd assertion.

So you have to study a subject at university to have an opinion on it? Nice logic there m8
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by h3110
So you have to study a subject at university to have an opinion on it? Nice logic there m8

Yeah wasn't the strongest initial post.

But read my posts on page 6
Original post by h3110
What do you mean "as long as it's an actual subject"??

Also, you mentioned that IB's target different universities for grad and post grad courses, what are the post grad target unis?

Something academic, not 'hair and beauty' or 'travel and tourism'.

LBS becomes the big one in the UK, even more so than Oxbridge. Otherwise, the business schools of some of the top unis here: Imperial Business School, Judge, Said, Manchester Business School etc.

On par with LBS is ISEAD in Paris, amongst others like HEC, IMD, ESCP etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Overrated: non-STEM
Nothing's underrated because STEM is already top bby

LBS becomes the big one in the UK, even more so than Oxbridge. Otherwise, the business schools of some of the top unis here: Tanaka (Imperial), Judge, Said, Manchester Business School etc.

It's not called Tanaka any more and hasn't been for some time due to some scandals he got into...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
It's not called Tanaka any more and hasn't been for some time due to some scandals he got into...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thanks for the update!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Overrated: Medicine, Dentistry, Law and Engineering

Underrated: Geography as many people have no clue what it actually consists of. Many fail to see that you get to learn from a wide range of subjects such as economics, physics, ecology, chemistry and politics. The degree is highly employable.
Original post by callum_law
You need the a slash in the second quote box, like this
, or it won't work. Whilst your knowledge of a widely known legal case is impressive, law has the lowest rate of firsts at 10% of any subject. It is challenging. Now you're going to say Aha! But I was a law student and I studied at Essex!—without sounding rude, a lot of subjects will be easier at Essex than at a reputable university. It's not a solid foundation off which to make claims about the wider scholarship of law.

I wasn't questioning the poster's conclusion that law is overrated. I was challenging the argument the other poster presented, which was flawed in that it assumed law was only good for attempting to get students into the legal profession. Law is useful for those who don't end up as lawyers.

As for the perception that If I study law, I will most assuredly work at Clifford Chance, I don't think most people have that mindset of absolute confidence. It's a highly competitive market, but people still have a realistic chance of becoming lawyers if they work hard and have realistic ambitions. Most law students don't become students yet the majority of law students study with the hope of becoming a lawyer—this is an interesting point, but what it doesn't cover is the 3 or 4 years in between the original ambition and being awarded the degree. Plenty of people decide they no longer want to become a lawyer in between those two points (because they've decided they want to become a history teacher, or they want to move to Chicago and become a fashion designer, or because after 3 years of being adsorbed by quite a challenging subject they would like to do something new), and you have to take that into account instead of assuming they failed.

I know this post was made yesterday, however as a current student at the University of Essex, I can't help but find this post highly offensive. I study biomedical science and so far I have completed 15 exams in my first year and 11 exams in my second year (none of which were re-sit exams). We have on average 1/2 pieces of coursework a week around mid term to the end of term. So our degrees aren't "easy".I also have multiple friends at the university studying Law (having received good A-level results) and they find the course challenging. Our grades aren't handed to students and we all have to work very hard to achieve a good degree - just like every other university.
Original post by shannon.rose
I know this post was made yesterday, however as a current student at the University of Essex, I can't help but find this post highly offensive. I study biomedical science and so far I have completed 15 exams in my first year and 11 exams in my second year (none of which were re-sit exams). We have on average 1/2 pieces of coursework a week around mid term to the end of term. So our degrees aren't "easy".I also have multiple friends at the university studying Law (having received good A-level results) and they find the course challenging. Our grades aren't handed to students and we all have to work very hard to achieve a good degree - just like every other university.

I said easier, not easy. And I said a lot of degrees, not all. I have no idea what you think good A-Level results are and it's hearsay, so I cannot engage that argument.
Reply 133

LBS becomes the big one in the UK, even more so than Oxbridge. Otherwise, the business schools of some of the top unis here: Imperial Business School, Judge, Said, Manchester Business School etc.

Thanks. If someone did a masters at Oxbridge but not at the business school, would that also be a target? Like if they did a History MA
Underrated: pharmacy which I will be doing soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h3110
Thanks. If someone did a masters at Oxbridge but not at the business school, would that also be a target? Like if they did a History MA

Yes, it's Oxbridge.
Yes, it's Oxbridge.

Nobody would give a toss. You're 17 or 18, hardly an expert on all things higher education. Stop pretending you know things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Overrated = Physics
Underrated = David Beckham Studies
Original post by Fleming1928
This. At university, foreign language courses don't just involve learning the language. You also learn the history, politics, literature etc of your chosen country. Also, the compulsory year abroad is something which definitely stands out to employers.

still a naff degree. some people are fluent in a language and have a degree in something as well. learning about a countries history isn't massively important.
if you take away the language element..a degree in something specific is better than knowing history and politics of a country
Original post by RonnieRJ
Overrated: non-STEM
Nothing's underrated because STEM is already top bby

They're gonna find you all dead in the alley, with cats licking at ya :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending