The Student Room Group

Offers for Oxford History joint course

Hi everyone,

I'm in upper sixth and I want to apply to Oxford for History and Italian.

I'm taking the A-levels History, English Lit and French. I'm on track to get A*s in Lit and French, but I messed up my history AS (81%) and it's almost impossible for me to get an A* now.

I know the standard offer for History and a Language is A*AA, so my question is this: will the A* be subject specific to History? This seems likely to me as it's the only one of the subjects I'm applying for that I'm studying now.

And if I were to get that offer, then get an A in history but A*s in the other two subjects, would I still get a place?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.
Original post by busterposey
Hi everyone,

I'm in upper sixth and I want to apply to Oxford for History and Italian.

I'm taking the A-levels History, English Lit and French. I'm on track to get A*s in Lit and French, but I messed up my history AS (81%) and it's almost impossible for me to get an A* now.

I know the standard offer for History and a Language is A*AA, so my question is this: will the A* be subject specific to History? This seems likely to me as it's the only one of the subjects I'm applying for that I'm studying now.

And if I were to get that offer, then get an A in history but A*s in the other two subjects, would I still get a place?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Getting an A* requires 90% at A2 and an average of 80% overall. Given your AS result, you will automatically fulfil the second criterion by achieving the first.

Oxford could choose to make either offer.

In the scenario you describe, it's up to them whether to accept or reject you.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Getting an A* requires 90% at A2 and an average of 80% overall. Given your AS result, you will automatically fulfil the second criterion by achieving the first.

Oxford could choose to make either offer.

In the scenario you describe, it's up to them whether to accept or reject you.

That's so helpful, thank you!
The standard offer for History and Modern Languages is AAA not A*AA :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lucilou101
The standard offer for History and Modern Languages is AAA not A*AA :smile:

I was going on the safe side :smile: I've heard that in practice you rarely get the three A offer, could be wrong though.

Cheers!
I was going on the safe side :smile: I've heard that in practice you rarely get the three A offer, could be wrong though.

Cheers!

Everyone gets the standard offer at Oxford. I've never heard of anyone getting a higher offer (although it does sometimes happen at Cambridge - so that could be where the misinformation has come from). :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lucilou101
Everyone gets the standard offer at Oxford. I've never heard of anyone getting a higher offer (although it does sometimes happen at Cambridge - so that could be where the misinformation has come from). :smile:

So I'm guaranteed to get an offer of AAA (if I get an offer obviously, not that I'm guarnateed an offer :smile: )?

That's really useful to know.
So I'm guaranteed to get an offer of AAA (if I get an offer obviously, not that I'm guarnateed an offer :smile: )?

That's really useful to know.

Yep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending