Spanish Watch

Sneedshelp
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
We are learning the preterite tenses in spanish and I get really confused. Miss talks about irregular and preterite but on youtube it says preterite and imperfect. Are irregular and imperfect the same thing?
roarchika
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OK so - irregular verbs are verbs that don't conjugate normally, for example how ir conjugates as voy vas va etc instead of io, ies, ie (which it would conjugate as if it were regular). Now, the preterite and imperfect tenses are two different tenses that describe actions that took place in the past. The preterite is for completed actions, that happened as a one off. Por ejemplo, comío una manzana, he ate an apple. The imperfect is used for actions that happened over a period of time, e.g. estaba en la piscina, I was in the swimming pool. The imperfect can also be used to mean "I used to ____", or "I was ___ing".

Bit of an info dump there (sorry!) but I hope it helps!
missimoody
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Go onto YouTube and search for the preterite tense song - California gurls. It sounds crazy but I know my preterite tense off by heart now because of this song!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sneedshelp)
We are learning the preterite tenses in spanish and I get really confused. Miss talks about irregular and preterite but on youtube it says preterite and imperfect. Are irregular and imperfect the same thing?
She's confused. "Irregular" isn't a tense, I assume she was referring to irregular verbs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.06%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.43%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (51)
20.48%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (31)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (74)
29.72%

Watched Threads