The Student Room Group

Who's happy Jeremy Corbyn won???

What are your opinions on Jeremy Corbyn?

As a conservative I'm happy he got elected
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

His name is on damn near every thread on TSR nowadays but I still have no clue who the hell he is :erm:
Original post by alexschmalex
His name is on damn near every thread on TSR nowadays but I still have no clue who the hell he is :erm:

Turn on BBC right now, you'll see him.
Over the moon. No labour government in the next GE.
Reply 4
I'm delighted, and intelligent Conservatives won't be, because it undermines all of their progress when it comes to getting Labour to accept the political orthodoxy of neoliberal economics (Osborne, ever the astute observer, says that Corbyn's election will undo a generation's work); it will shift the terms of the debate to the Left (the Telegraph is now saying that the Conservatives will have to shift Left as a result of Corbyn); and it will galvanize apathetic and young voters, address the concerns of Scottish people, and win back SNP, Green and UKIP voters.

Current Conservative Party supporters should remember that it's not the party elected that matters, it's their policies. The Conservatives have outlined plans to tax non-doms further, as a result of Labour's campaign, they've been forced to bring out a higher minimum wage (to the chagrin of "business") and they've been forced into accepting gay marriage despite the majority of their MPs opposing it. I'll be looking forward to the Conservatives accepting more rational policy proposals as a result of Corbyn's election.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MatureStudent36
Over the moon. No labour government in the next GE.

Tories can go as right as they want now since there is no viable alternative in the centre
Reply 6
[QUOTE=rebeccarmi;59292969]What are your opinions on Jeremy Corbyn?

As a conservative I'm happy he got elected
Yes, it's time an intelligent left wing figure had another go at creating a compelling agenda and winning support, tough challenge though this undoubtedly is. I very much hope he confounds your happiness by defeating the privileged ideology put forward by Cameron and Osbourne. Interesting times..
Reply 7
Original post by Gears265
Tories can go as right as they want now since there is no viable alternative in the centre

Perhaps an opportunity for the Liberals to rebuild their shattered fortunes..
Reply 8
Original post by viddy9
I'm delighted, and intelligent Conservatives won't be, because it undermines all of their progress when it comes to getting Labour to accept the political orthodoxy of neoliberal economics; it will shift the terms of the debate to the Left (the Telegraph is now saying that the Conservatives will have to shift Left as a result of Corbyn); and it will galvanize apathetic and young voters, address the concerns of Scottish people, and win back SNP, Green and UKIP voters.

Current Conservative Party supporters should remember that it's not the party elected that matters, it's their policies. The Conservatives have outlined plans to tax non-doms further, as a result of Labour's campaign, they've been forced to bring out a higher minimum wage (to the chagrin of "business":wink: and they've been forced into accepting gay marriage despite the majority of their MPs opposing it. I'll be looking forward to the Conservatives accepting more rational policy proposals as a result of Corbyn's election.
Gold analysis and case for our parliamentary democracy, the opposition could too.
Tory supporters seemed kinda chuffed that he Corbyn won.
so glad the labour party has returned to its original values and tbh its more appealing to traditional labour supporters than ever
Original post by Nicholas Nelson
Tory supporters seemed kinda chuffed that he Corbyn won.

And UKIP supporters! This is a day for all of us to rejoice, I can not express how chuffed I am!
Original post by Gears265

There's no major benefit in going more right. Centre right is where the Tories have always operated. Tories becoming extreme right wing is the same labour rhetoric that has turned so many people away from labour.
Original post by viddy9
I'm delighted, and intelligent Conservatives won't be, because it undermines all of their progress when it comes to getting Labour to accept the political orthodoxy of neoliberal economics; it will shift the terms of the debate to the Left (the Telegraph is now saying that the Conservatives will have to shift Left as a result of Corbyn); and it will galvanize apathetic and young voters, address the concerns of Scottish people, and win back SNP, Green and UKIP voters.

Current Conservative Party supporters should remember that it's not the party elected that matters, it's their policies. The Conservatives have outlined plans to tax non-doms further, as a result of Labour's campaign, they've been forced to bring out a higher minimum wage (to the chagrin of "business":wink: and they've been forced into accepting gay marriage despite the majority of their MPs opposing it. I'll be looking forward to the Conservatives accepting more rational policy proposals as a result of Corbyn's election.

The founding principle of the Conservative Party was to catch the Whigs bathing and walk off with their clothes.

By the time Corbyn is ousted and Labour tries to move back to the centre ground, they will find that many of their policies have been nicked.
Disappointed. He cannot win. And, as a Labour man, I hope he doesn't. The disaster would make life worse for people and stop labour being elected for 25 years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by citydeer
so glad the labour party has returned to its original values and tbh its more appealing to traditional labour supporters than ever

LMFAO, yes thousands shout and cheer, mostly left wingers, and it apparently represents the views of millions of Labour voters. Most of the crowds have less than 1000 people in them. Unless he has millions out on the streets you can not assume he will be elected.
Pretty much everybody, the lefties are pleased because they think that this will bring a return to the 70s and 80s, and the rest of us are happy because it means we most certainly aren't :biggrin:

Time to go put a few grand on a Tory landslide in 2020, might get a payout of a few pence.
Original post by citydeer

Even though tracitinLlabour supporters are a fraction of the total of the labour vote?
Original post by MatureStudent36
There's no major benefit in going more right. Centre right is where the Tories have always operated. Tories becoming extreme right wing is the same labour rhetoric that has turned so many people away from labour.

I never expected them to go extreme but at least move from the centre to centre right, the cabinet is too liberal. I sometimes forget Cameron is a Tory. I preferred Thatcher's ideology, not the rubbish we have right now.
Happy. Might actually vote this time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending