The Student Room Group

GCSE Drama Question?

Hi! :awesome:
I just recently started my GCSEs, and I'm debating dropping Drama.
I really like acting, and I enjoy it, and I'm willing to work with people I don't know.
There are about 3 of my friends in a class of 35 (but some people have to drop out because that's too many.)
The thing is, the rest of my class are people who don't tend to work very hard. Out of the whole class, there are three of us who have been in school productions, and that's including me and two of my friends.
I feel like the others have picked it just because they think it's an easy subject.
They also don't complete the tasks fully- we were placed into random groups, and we had to do a 'break the chain' exercise, which involved us winding ourselves into a chain that another person would try and break in under a minute. If they couldn't do it, we won.
We had to hold hands, and the girls in my group were fine with it; but the boys wouldn't even hold anyone's wrists. I'm concerned about this because we will have to perform closer scenes in the future.
Will we get to pick our own groups in the future? Will these people affect my grade? Should I just drop the subject?

Original post by UnknownPotato
Hi! :awesome:
I just recently started my GCSEs, and I'm debating dropping Drama.
I really like acting, and I enjoy it, and I'm willing to work with people I don't know.
There are about 3 of my friends in a class of 35 (but some people have to drop out because that's too many.)
The thing is, the rest of my class are people who don't tend to work very hard. Out of the whole class, there are three of us who have been in school productions, and that's including me and two of my friends.
I feel like the others have picked it just because they think it's an easy subject.
They also don't complete the tasks fully- we were placed into random groups, and we had to do a 'break the chain' exercise, which involved us winding ourselves into a chain that another person would try and break in under a minute. If they couldn't do it, we won.
We had to hold hands, and the girls in my group were fine with it; but the boys wouldn't even hold anyone's wrists. I'm concerned about this because we will have to perform closer scenes in the future.
Will we get to pick our own groups in the future? Will these people affect my grade? Should I just drop the subject?

Hello :smile:

It's been a while since I've done GCSE Drama, I'm now studying Drama at Degree level at university and wouldn't have got where I am today if I hadn't pushed through that same problem as you're having. At GCSE people tend to pick drama because they think it's the easier subject, it isn't by far. Drama takes hard work and dedication. It depends on how the teacher lets you do things to be honest in regards to whether or not you get to pick your own groups - they may do, they may not. They won't affect your grade and I wouldn't suggest dropping a subject you love because of people that shouldn't affect you!
The way they mark group work (usually) is by marking the group as a whole but then most importantly your individual performance, therefore, you still have the potential to reach the top grades on your own even if working in a group - also - you have the written side of the work, therefore, you can reach high grades in that area. Don't drop the subject! You can achieve top grades.

Also when your group work starts, you can pull these 'slackers' away from their friends and YOU can make them focus, you can make them work and make them realise that you care about your grades even if they don't. It's a difficult thing but you get through it and that's where I am today!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:

It's been a while since I've done GCSE Drama, I'm now studying Drama at Degree level at university and wouldn't have got where I am today if I hadn't pushed through that same problem as you're having. At GCSE people tend to pick drama because they think it's the easier subject, it isn't by far. Drama takes hard work and dedication. It depends on how the teacher lets you do things to be honest in regards to whether or not you get to pick your own groups - they may do, they may not. They won't affect your grade and I wouldn't suggest dropping a subject you love because of people that shouldn't affect you!
The way they mark group work (usually) is by marking the group as a whole but then most importantly your individual performance, therefore, you still have the potential to reach the top grades on your own even if working in a group - also - you have the written side of the work, therefore, you can reach high grades in that area. Don't drop the subject! You can achieve top grades.

Also when your group work starts, you can pull these 'slackers' away from their friends and YOU can make them focus, you can make them work and make them realise that you care about your grades even if they don't. It's a difficult thing but you get through it and that's where I am today!

Good luck :smile:

Okay, thank you! You've motivated me, and I really feel like I can achieve. Thank you, and good luck with your degree :smile:
Original post by UnknownPotato
Okay, thank you! You've motivated me, and I really feel like I can achieve. Thank you, and good luck with your degree :smile:

No problem at all :smile: I'm glad to hear! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest