The Student Room Group

Mum coming to uni :/

(My friend's post he doesn't have TSR)

Im going to university next week up in Scotland from near London so I'm taking the plane over with all my stuff. My mums booked a ticket but she said that if I don't want her to come then she won't. Im not sure whether to bring her because she would be staying for 2 days in total in my uni flat, its slightly embarrassing having your mum about and knowing her she'll nag and moan at me.

But on the other hand its nice having your parents dropping you off, she can help carry suitcases because I have quite a lot of stuff and she can help me with menial things like food shopping, setting out my room, admin, etc.

So what do you think I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't bring your parents.
Reply 2
Original post by vela1
Don't bring your parents.

He says that everyone's parents drops them off sooo
Reply 3
Original post by mila123
He says that everyone's parents drops them off sooo

Yeah but they don't stay in the flat for two days...
Reply 4
Original post by Speak444
Yeah but they don't stay in the flat for two days...

Yeah true thats what I said to him
Reply 5
i would say bring her, but not to stay in his flat - see if she could stay in a premier inn or something (they can be really cheap) while its nice to have your parents drop you off, its not so cool to have her stop the night
Reply 6
Original post by mila123
Yeah true thats what I said to him

its all the way in scotland.. my suggestion would be to go a bit early and move in before everyone else so his mum doesnt have to be there during freshers..
Reply 7
Original post by citydeer
i would say bring her, but not to stay in his flat - see if she could stay in a premier inn or something (they can be really cheap) while its nice to have your parents drop you off, its not so cool to have her stop the night

Initially thats what she was gonna do but she never ended up booking one

Original post by eemooz
its all the way in scotland.. my suggestion would be to go a bit early and move in before everyone else so his mum doesnt have to be there during freshers..

His plane tickets are booked now and he can't move in before the 19th which is when everyone is coming
that would be pretty cringe tbh. They should stay at a premier inn or travelodge.
Reply 9
Original post by mila123
Initially thats what she was gonna do but she never ended up booking one

His plane tickets are booked now and he can't move in before the 19th which is when everyone is coming

hmmm, get her to book a hotel now.. its not too late, she can even book one on the day. either way i dont think she should stay during freshers. it will be awkward with his flatmates, he wont be able to integrate etc.
Don't just bring her if all you want her to do is carry your bags and do 'menial things like admin...'...she may as well stay at home.

Either have her stay in a hotel (and visit her don't just leave her there haha). Your friend doesn't have to spend all day with her, but at least do some nice things with her before she leaves to show his/her appreciation.

Or let her stay home completely.

She's helping you out so you can't exactly tell her 'thanks for trekking all the way down here with me, doing all the donkey work..eff off now.
Hotel or don't go

Most halls require permission for guests, anyway.
Errm the only time parents stay with people at uni is if they have special needs or something. I'm not at uni but have friends who are and i think its a good idea to sugest a hotel near by.
Original post by mila123
(My friend's post he doesn't have TSR)

Im going to university next week up in Scotland from near London so I'm taking the plane over with all my stuff. My mums booked a ticket but she said that if I don't want her to come then she won't. Im not sure whether to bring her because she would be staying for 2 days in total in my uni flat, its slightly embarrassing having your mum about and knowing her she'll nag and moan at me.

But on the other hand its nice having your parents dropping you off, she can help carry suitcases because I have quite a lot of stuff and she can help me with menial things like food shopping, setting out my room, admin, etc.

So what do you think I should do?

It's nice having you parents help you move in and be there for you, but I wouldn't suggest having her stay with you for a couple of days when first getting to know the place, it'll impact on you a lot.

If she has to stay, then it's a bit of a difficult one.
Don't bring your mum.
don't bring her, at most unis they usually have people on hand to help you carry your stuff anyway
Let her come up!
If you don't want her to stay with you, suggest a hotel.
Every time my mum visited she stayed in my room for 2/3 days at a time. Nobody found that weird, in fact most of my friends ended up in my room for the weekend and we had a really good time with my mum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having your mum in your flat during freshers week is the ultimate no. You'd look like a mega dweeb. Everyones parents drop them off but none stay longer than a couple of hours. It'd ruin your first few days.. nonono
If he really can't bear his mom or would feel embarrassed by her, he shouldn't bring her. Period. Using her only to carry stuff is a tad exploitative towards someone who bought him up and making her stay in a hotel is a bit rude also when theres space in the apartment. But then again this just my opinion. I know nothing of the mother's nature nor of OP's relationship with her.

If the issue is not letting anything come in the way of freshers week party, then he should tell her that he would manage and that he would have to participate in the events and thus she would be bored. Simples.
Some parents do visit, more common in the second year when you have a house share, as even getting into the building will be hard.

As a fresher, very different ,.

Quick Reply

Latest