The Student Room Group

S2 Poisson distribution

What does it mean that events must occur 'singly' .......can you give an example? I just don't really get it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anoymous1111
What does it mean that events must occur 'singly' .......can you give an example? I just don't really get it

Posted from TSR Mobile

And why does it say 'singly in space or time'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

It means that its not mutually exclusive with another event. By this I mean that if event X happens, its occurence will not influence future X from occurring again.
Ooooh ok thank you! And why does space or time come into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Ooooh ok thank you! And why does space or time come into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm bad at explaining, in terms of space-time, an event is a unique position at a unique time. In order to use Poisson, the events have to be independent from each other (each events do not affect the outcome of future events), thus they need to occupy a different position in time.
Original post by kkboyk
I'm bad at explaining, in terms of space-time, an event is a unique position at a unique time. In order to use Poisson, the events have to be independent from each other (each events do not affect the outcome of future events), thus they need to occupy a different position in time.

Poor explanation from a poor man with a poor explanation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Proxenus
Poor explanation from a poor man with a poor explanation

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need some spanking for being naughty
Original post by kkboyk
You need some spanking for being naughty

Lolllllllll

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kkboyk

That does make sense thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest