The Student Room Group

Who's happy Jeremy Corbyn won???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by billydisco
Actually all they have to do is highlight how Labour are now a risk to national security.

And, how exactly are they a risk to national security? The only position I can envisage Labour adopting which has anything remotely to do with national security is the scrapping of Trident.

Yet, despite the paranoid delusions of the Conservatives, getting rid of our nuclear weapons isn't going to result in a Russian-ISIS-Argentinian invasion. One wonders how Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Norway have survived all these years!

Thought-experiment: if we didn't have nuclear weapons today, would politicians be making acquiring them a top priority? Of course not, because we don't need them. The notion that we do is the result of the human tendency to engage in status quo bias, as opposed to objective reality.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
And, how exactly are they a risk to national security? The only position I can envisage Labour adopting which has anything remotely to do with national security is the scrapping of Trident.

Yet, despite the paranoid delusions of the Conservatives, getting rid of our nuclear weapons isn't going to result in a Russian-ISIS-Argentinian invasion. One wonders how Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Norway have survived all these years!

Thought-experiment: if we didn't have nuclear weapons today, would politicians be making acquiring them a top priority? Of course not, because we don't need them. The notion that we do is the result of the human tendency to engage in status quo bias, as opposed to objective reality.

They are basically prospect by other western countries having nukes though. Also the Tories don't need to actually believe the crap they spout. It's just politics and Corbyn is going to be painted as an IRA/Islamic terrorist.

Why is Corbyn a threat to families?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
They are basically prospect by other western countries having nukes though. Also the Tories don't need to actually believe the crap they spout. It's just politics and Corbyn is going to be painted as an IRA/Islamic terrorist.

Why is Corbyn a threat to families?

Because it personalises the claim and creates the triplet, it would be down to the alleged security and economic risks.
I wish we could vote for the SNP in the rest of the UK
Original post by A level sufferer

Any scot left leaning scot that votes SNP now is a bit of a hypocrite.
Reply 45

Can't think of anything worse

You can, it is called Labour now :biggrin:
Well, not really.
I'm definitley not. It's nothing to do with his airy fairy ness believing he can create an equal la la land just like that, its more who he associates with. Hamas, Hezebollah, the IRA, Iran and his comments like needing an investigation into Jewish influence in the media- I don't want a PM who associates with people like that and doesn't understand why some people have been outraged by that. I can only hope that he does indeed make Labour unelectable, otherwise as a young Jewish person I would honestly be worried- I couldn't be secure in the knowledge that someone of his convictions would tackle anti semitisim by challenging the views of the people he associates with, as desperately needs to happen and also providing money for security for Jewish schools and synagogues.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gwilym101
All these tories saying they're pleased he won because apparently this will make labour unelectable really are counting their chickens before they're hatched. Given that two thirds of the electorate voted against the tories in the first place and labour lost votes to minor parties for being Diet Tories and having a leader with the charisma of a dead fish. Labour now has a leader who has clearly distinct ideas from the tories and won the leadership with almost two thirds of the votes inspite of all the **** the press threw at him. That sounds like a recipe for a labour win to me.

UKIP already have Farage for that "ordinary bloke" appeal. The Greens have an irrelevant 1 million votes. We'll lose, not gain, to UKIP as those worried about immigration will be forced away from us. We'll lose the last of our moderates to the Tories. We'll probably win a few seats back in Scotland, sure. The new voters might notice Corbyn and might get distracted by him for a while. But those non voting dullards who would be enthusiastic enough to vote for him would also be easily persuaded by the Tory press, because they have no ability to think for themselves. All in all, it's a fairly dire picture.
Original post by Jammy Duel
You can, it is called Labour now :biggrin:
Well, not really.

I think Labour under Corbyn may go even further left than the SNP.
Original post by Akamega
who cares for conditions of the less fortunate around the country

I dont call people who ****ed around at school "less fortunate"

Original post by Akamega
and the world

Terrorists?

Original post by Akamega
and who supports the right social changes.

You work and i'll spend your tax, those kinda social changes?
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
I'm definitley not. It's nothing to do with his airy fairy ness believing he can create an equal la la land just like that, its more who he associates with. Hamas, Hezebollah, the IRA, Iran and his comments like needing an investigation into Jewish influence in the media- I don't want a PM who associates with people like that and doesn't understand why some people have been outraged by that. I can only hope that he does indeed make Labour unelectable, otherwise as a young Jewish person I would honestly be worried- I couldn't be secure in the knowledge that someone of his convictions would tackle anti semitisim by challenging the views of the people he associates with, as desperately needs to happen and also providing money for security for Jewish schools and synagogues.

If it helps I think Tom Watson, who was voted as deputy, would not put up with any of that crap. He's a really decent bloke.
Original post by redferry
If it helps I think Tom Watson, who was voted as deputy, would not put up with any of that crap. He's a really decent bloke.

thats something at least.
Original post by jelly1000
thats something at least.

It's the one shining light I'm taking from this whole fiasco. I trust Tom to do a good job, he's a great moderator and can hopefully reign Corbyn in and keep the party together.
Original post by billydisco
Terrorists?

No, I was actually referring to the millions of displaced refugees that Cameron seems so reluctant to take.
Original post by redferry

Lets be honest, if we really wanted to attract young voters we should have got Stella Creasy in. Because, well

Original post by banterboy
Lets be honest, if we really wanted to attract young voters we should have got Stella Creasy in. Because, well

Voters have overwhelmingly shown they love old white men I'm afraid.
Original post by nulli tertius

'Milliband was so Londoncentric that he couldn't have found the end of the Northern Line'

Was this the Miliband who lived and went to school in Leeds for 3 years? The one who lived on 2 separate occasions in the USA as a child and was a visiting scholar at Harvard? The one who represented Doncaster North? ( South Yorkshire I believe so a little way north of Cock Fosters.)

Or are you thinking of some one else?
[QUOTE="pickup;59309717"]
Original post by nulli tertius

'Milliband was so Londoncentric that he couldn't have found the end of the Northern Line'

Was this the Miliband who lived and went to school in Leeds for 3 years? The one who lived on 2 separate occasions in the USA as a child and was a visiting scholar at Harvard? The one who represented Doncaster North? ( South Yorkshire I believe so a little way north of Cock Fosters.)

Or are you thinking of some one else?

No, that's the one I'm thinking of

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending