The Student Room Group

I'm half-Jewish: AMA

Scroll to see replies

how can you ethnically be a jew when judaism is a religion you moron
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Where does your Jewish side originate from and what are your views on Israel?

My Jewish side originates from my father. I think Israel (in its current form) is morally atrocious. I think Zionism is absolutely revolting: it's a counterproductive political ideology. It can be, and is, used to legitimate antisemitism. Moreover, Benjamin Netanyahu is swine and Israel's treatment of Palestinians, non-Zionist Jews, Muslims and Christians is almost as bad as the Nazis.
Original post by hilrho
Oh your dads the Jewish one eh? It's my mother who's Jewish and her mother is actually a Holocaust survivor who got to England in time so I do take pride in my Jewish roots - just not in a religious sense :h:

So are you one of the many Jews who support a free Palestine?

Interesting. Most of my father's family was wiped out by Adolf too.

In terms of Palestine/Israel: YES YES YES!!!!! See my reply to TheTruthTeller. #FreePalestine
Original post by jambojim97
My Jewish side originates from my father. I think Israel (in its current form) is morally atrocious. I think Zionism is absolutely revolting: it's a counterproductive political ideology. It can be, and is, used to legitimate antisemitism. Moreover, Benjamin Netanyahu is swine and Israel's treatment of Palestinians, non-Zionist Jews, Muslims and Christians is almost as bad as the Nazis.

I meant in terms of like being mizrahi, Ashkenazi etc. also what do you think about the Iran deal and how do you Jewish side view Israel?
Original post by stonehrd4eva

Firstly, if 'Jewish' was just a religion, surely those murdered in the Holocaust would have just said "hands off Adolf! I've converted to Christianity".

Secondly, the Jews are an ethnic group associated with a religious faith.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews
Original post by TheTruthTeller
I meant in terms of like being mizrahi, Ashkenazi etc. also what do you think about the Iran deal and how do you Jewish side view Israel?

I'm not particularly clued up on the Iran nuclear deal I'm afraid. My Jewish side is Ashkenazi.
Reply 26
Interesting. Most of my father's family was wiped out by Adolf too.In terms of

Palestine/Israel: YES YES YES!!!!! See my reply to TheTruthTeller. #FreePalestine

My grandmother was the only one to survive from her immediate family actually - but her uncle, aunt and cousins survived.

As for the Palestine Israel issue: :ditto: #FreePalestine

OH my we're so alike! :eek4: I couldn't agree more. How old are you and what are you doing currently?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hilrho
My grandmother was the only one to survive from her immediate family actually - but her uncle, aunt and cousins survived.

As for the Palestine Israel issue: :ditto: #FreePalestine

OH my we're so alike! :eek4: I couldn't agree more. How old are you and what are you doing currently?

Well, I'm 19 and I'm just about to go and study Economics (cue antisemites shouting 'money chaser!'). You?
Original post by thecatwithnohat
do you half love money? :colonhash:

Are you ****ing serious? What is wrong with you?!
Original post by stonehrd4eva

It's an ethno-religion.
Original post by simbasdragon
Are you ****ing serious? What is wrong with you?!

The ':colonhash:' was clearly a way of light-heatedly reinforcing the typical stereotype attached Jewish people. OP didn't take it the wrong way so please take your ad-hoministic comments elsewhere.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
The ':colonhash:' was clearly a way of light-heatedly reinforcing the typical stereotype attached Jewish people. OP didn't take it the wrong way so please take your ad-hoministic comments elsewhere.

Didn't realise this was light-hearted so apologies. I knew the Jewish boy who got beaten up in Manchester so any apparent anti-semitism touches a nerve.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by simbasdragon
Didn't realise this was light-hearted so apologies. I knew the Jewish boy who got beaten up in Manchester so any apparent anti-semitism touches a nerve.

I understand. I apologize for typing it in a way that may have offended others. The hatred that some people have against Jewish people needs to be tackled effectively, and soon.

Why must people always go to the Nazi's when talking about Israel?

But Zionism isn't a Jewish thing, it is a political ideology. So how can it be used to legitimate antisemitism?

Netanyahu is but one man, if it wasn't him it would be someone else do basically the same thing.

How you can plus the Nazi's anywhere near the Israel state I don't know.
Reply 34
As the title says.

Why did you think it the correct place to put an AMA in the Advice on Everyday Issues forum?
Original post by Reue
Why did you think it the correct place to put an AMA in the Advice on Everyday Issues forum?

Fell free to move.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
Fell free to move.

I did fell free to move :smile:
Original post by Reue
I did fell free to move :smile:

I hope you didn't hurt yourself when you fell.
Does that mean you still have half your foreskin?
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
Does that mean you still have half your foreskin?

No, I have never had anything done down there (fortunately!)

Quick Reply

Latest