The Student Room Group

What six forms are good in London?

Hi, so recently I have been looking at different six forms in London and I'm wondering what six forms are good and to which one I should i go to? The A levels I want to do are; physics,maths,biology and chemistry. My dream six form to go to is Ashbourne independent six form college. But it has fees and is really expensive so i cannot go there. So what six forms do you guys recommend in London? I do not mind where in London as I'm willing to even travel more than an hour to get there as long as it is really good. If you are recommending a six form you are going to or went to please tell me what a levels you are doing and what grades you got. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I have friends that went to St Dominic's Sixth Form College. They got great A level results such as AAA, AAA*, AA*A* etc.
Reply 2
Original post by DeadEnd_96
I have friends that went to St Dominic's Sixth Form College. They got great A level results such as AAA, AAA*, AA*A* etc.

I have looked at St Dominic's sixth form college. But I wasn't sure if it was as good as everyone was saying it is. I would be grateful if you could provide me with more information about the sixth form if you can. Is it hard to get in, do you know by any chance?
Its a great college, the teaching is great and the teachers are always willing to help students to achieve the best grades. The student life is great and everybody is very friendly there, you will have no problem making friends there. Its very independent as you have a choice how you want to use your free periods, either study at the college or go out with friends. There are also great extra curricular opportunities available for students to boost their UCAS application. It is quite competitive to get into at first, but if you get rejected at the first try you still have the option to call the college on GCSE results day to see if there might be places available, and apply with your achieved GCSE results if you happened to get better than expected.
Reply 4
Its a great college, the teaching is great and the teachers are always willing to help students to achieve the best grades. The student life is great and everybody is very friendly there, you will have no problem making friends there. Its very independent as you have a choice how you want to use your free periods, either study at the college or go out with friends. There are also great extra curricular opportunities available for students to boost their UCAS application. It is quite competitive to get into at first, but if you get rejected at the first try you still have the option to call the college on GCSE results day to see if there might be places available, and apply with your achieved GCSE results if you happened to get better than expected.

Have you heard of any other six forms? What is UCAS by the way? I know that sounds naive but I'm trying to find out more about six forms so I would appreciate if you would explain what it means and any information about six form life. :smile:
Reply 5

I have a question what are the chances of going to imperial or oxford or Cambridge if i studied in St Dominic's. do many students from St Dominic's go to those universities or not really?
Original post by Maria1812
Have you heard of any other six forms? What is UCAS by the way? I know that sounds naive but I'm trying to find out more about six forms so I would appreciate if you would explain what it means and any information about six form life. :smile:

Here are some other great Sixth Form/Colleges in London:

City and islington college
Woodhouse college
Fortismere school sixth form
St charles catholic college
Latymer school sixth form
Christ college finchley

UCAS is what you use to apply to universities for whatever course you want to study
I have a question what are the chances of going to imperial or oxford or Cambridge if i studied in St Dominic's. do many students from St Dominic's go to those universities or not really?

One of my friends actually studied at St Dominic's Sixth College and managed to get into Cambridge for engineering. There was also another person who got into Cambridge this year from St Dominic's. The college would will help you with your application to Oxbridge with special classes, getting the perfect personal statement and training for the interviews. Trust me, if they see that you have Oxbridge potential they will spend all their time trying to get you into an Oxbridge university. I know some people who got into Imperial for medicine and pharmacy at Kings College London. Mostly all students are accepted into a Russell group university. You will not be disappointed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Here are some other great Sixth Form/Colleges in London:

City and islington college
Woodhouse college
Fortismere school sixth form
St charles catholic college
Latymer school sixth form
Christ college finchley

UCAS is what you use to apply to universities for whatever course you want to study

Are there any grammar six forms in London. As grammar schools have quite a good reputation. Is it hard to get a scholarship to a private six form? I heard you can get a music or art or drama scholarship but can you get one from academic subjects or something like that?
Reply 9
One of my friends actually studied at St Dominic's Sixth College and managed to get into Cambridge for engineering. There was also another person who got into Cambridge this year from St Dominic's. The college would will help you with your application to Oxbridge with special classes, getting the perfect personal statement and training for the interviews. Trust me, if they see that you have Oxbridge potential they will spend all their time trying to get you into an Oxbridge university. I know some people who got into Imperial for medicine and pharmacy at Kings College London. Mostly all students are accepted into a Russell group university. You will not be disappointed.

I really appreciate that you replied to my forum. Have you heard about holland park six form, is it any good?
Reply 10

How can I boost my chances of getting in to St Dominic's or into any six form?
Are there any grammar six forms in London. As grammar schools have quite a good reputation. Is it hard to get a scholarship to a private six form? I heard you can get a music or art or drama scholarship but can you get one from academic subjects or something like that?

There are very good girls grammar school such as Henrietta Barnett and Watford Grammar for girls. There is one private school for girls called Haberdashers' girls school. I am not too sure about getting an art or drama scholarship, you ask the Sixth Form about that, I am sure that they will provide you with the correct information.
How can I boost my chances of getting in to St Dominic's or into any six form?

To be honest the only aspect they really care about is your predicted GCSE grades, they don't look at anything else. The more A* 's you are predicted the higher the chance you get a place at your chosen Sixth Form/College. Extra curricular activities do help your application but they not as significant as you predicted GCSE results. So make sure you aim for all A* 's at GCSE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
To be honest the only aspect they really care about is your predicted GCSE grades, they don't look at anything else. The more A* 's you are predicted the higher the chance you get a place at your chosen Sixth Form/College. Extra curricular activities do help your application but they not as significant as you predicted GCSE results. So make sure you aim for all A* 's at GCSE.

ALL my GCSE's are predicted A's. I did Re GCSE's already and I got an A*. The problem for maths and english I don't know what my predicted grades will be for maths& english as when i will do my exams i will be doing the new ones where the grades for maths and english will be from 1-9 and not the normal grade system. What extra curriculum would boost my chances of getting in? Does where you live matter when going into six form if I have really good grades but I do not live in the borough where the school is would that stop me from going to that school? Do six forms care more about where you live and how far from the school or about your grades?
Reply 14
There are very good girls grammar school such as Henrietta Barnett and Watford Grammar for girls. There is one private school for girls called Haberdashers' girls school. I am not too sure about getting an art or drama scholarship, you ask the Sixth Form about that, I am sure that they will provide you with the correct information.

Which of the recommended schools above would you say is the best personally? And which one is the hardest to get in to?
ALL my GCSE's are predicted A's. I did Re GCSE's already and I got an A*. The problem for maths and english I don't know what my predicted grades will be for maths& english as when i will do my exams i will be doing the new ones where the grades for maths and english will be from 1-9 and not the normal grade system. What extra curriculum would boost my chances of getting in? Does where you live matter when going into six form if I have really good grades but I do not live in the borough where the school is would that stop me from going to that school? Do six forms care more about where you live and how far from the school or about your grades?

You should still be with the old grading system since you started your GCSE's last year. Things that can boost your application can simple things such as Sport, Music, volunteering maybe, D of E but don't worry they don't that much about it. Just as long they can see that you don't study 24/7 and you actually do stuff other than study lol. Most schools won't really care about distance because I know people that come by trains for an hour journey to college. Some colleges maybe picky about how far away you live, but not all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
You should still be with the old grading system since you started your GCSE's last year. This that can boost your application can simple things such as Sport, Music, volunteering maybe, D of E but don't worry they don't that much about it. Just as long they can see that you don't study 24/7 and you actually do stuff other than study lol. Most schools won't really care about distance because I know people that come by trains for an hour journey to college. Some colleges maybe picky about how far away you live, but not all.

So I really like the Henrietta Barnet school. Do you know anyone who went there? How good is it compared to St Dominic's do you think? Have you heard of a six from called holland park? I speak another language and I am learning Japanese, do you think this would boost my chances of getting to a six form?
So I really like the Henrietta Barnet school. Do you know anyone who went there? How good is it compared to St Dominic's do you think? Have you heard of a six from called holland park? I speak another language and I am learning Japanese, do you think this would boost my chances of getting to a six form?

To be honest you can't go wrong on either of them. They are both equally brilliant. St Dominic's is currently the 2nd best college in the country and Henrietta Barnett is a highly respected grammar school for girls. It is just a matter of choice whether you prefer to study with boys or not lol. I do know a girl who got into Henrietta Barnett Sixth form and she was predicted 9 A* 's. I haven't heard of Holland Park, so I am not sure if it is good or not. Any extra curricular will help but it won't make a huge difference, grades are considered more significant.
Reply 18
To be honest you can't go wrong on either of them. They are both equally brilliant. St Dominic's is currently the 2nd best college in the country and Henrietta Barnett is a highly respected grammar school for girls. It is just a matter of choice whether you prefer to study with boys or not lol. I do know a girl who got into Henrietta Barnett Sixth form and she was predicted 9 A* 's. I haven't heard of Holland Park, so I am not sure if it is good or not. Any extra curricular will help but it won't make a huge difference, grades are considered more significant.

I looked at the Henrietta barnet schools leavers destinations and I'm amazed as so many people went to elite universities that i want to go to so I'm definitely aiming high in my GCSE'S so I can go there. Do you think the fact that i live 1 hour away by bus from there will really reduce my chance of getting in. I'm really worried that it will.
I looked at the Henrietta barnet schools leavers destinations and I'm amazed as so many people went to elite universities that i want to go to so I'm definitely aiming high in my GCSE'S so I can go there. Do you think the fact that i live 1 hour away by bus from there will really reduce my chance of getting in. I'm really worried that it will.

1 hour away really? It takes me nearly an hour to get to Sixth Form. You will not be placed at a disadvantage don't worry. Just focus on your GCSE's and achieve all A* in your subjects. I would go for if I were you, you have nothing to lose. Good Luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending